Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
my new dream prologue (that I know won't happen but I hope will)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 17 2015, 1:59am

Post #1 of 9 (872 views)
Shortcut
my new dream prologue (that I know won't happen but I hope will) Can't Post

I know there was a prologue discussion recently, but it's been bumped off the main page. And this is an idea I just came up with.

Chances are that there won't be any sort of prologue added to the EE. I think most of us have accepted that now. As much as some of us would like to see Thorin's meeting with Dain or maybe even something related to the White Council, I doubt anything was shot for any sort of prologue.

But I think it would be interesting if they took one of AUJ's deleted scenes and turned it into a "prologue" similar to how they decided to take Smeagol's flashback and put it where it wasn't originally meant to be (from TTT to RotK). The scene I have in mind wouldn't give the audience any new information or start with a bang like the other prologues, but I think it would have the potential of giving the beginning of BotFA a smoother transition into Smaug's attack rather than just jumping into it, which I'm still not a big fan of.

The Shire theme could be put back in its proper place as The Hobbit title appears (rather than the Smaug/Dragon Sickness theme), and the movie could open in the Shire. There was a short scene that was originally supposed to follow Bilbo looking at the contract in Bag End. Before he runs out the door, he was going to step outside for a moment and look out at his neighbors and the quiet life of the Shire. This could be used at the beginning of BotFA, and then it could cut back to Bilbo watching in horror as Smaug flies to Lake-town. I think this would have the potential of adding even more emotional weight to the beginning of the movie and start things off with Bilbo being the main focus as well as the theme of home. Bilbo left his comfortable home to help the dwarves reclaim theirs, and now he's watching as Smaug is about to destroy the home (and lives) of innocent people.

Maybe this wouldn't play out as well as I have it in my head, but maybe they'll release that deleted scene someday and I can edit into the beginning of the movie to see for myself. Or I can send a raven to PJ and tell him to try it out before they finish the final edit. Maybe it's not too late. Laugh

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 17 2015, 2:08am

Post #2 of 9 (847 views)
Shortcut
What you have in your HEAD is GREAT! [In reply to] Can't Post

Most excellent writing..
easy to visualize
@least for
Bomby..

thang you
berry
buch..
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 17 2015, 6:49am

Post #3 of 9 (792 views)
Shortcut
That sounds lovely... [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt if we'll see it - though who knows - but it sounds like a really nice idea.

Pandallo
Rivendell

Jun 17 2015, 7:01am

Post #4 of 9 (786 views)
Shortcut
I've been thinking lately... [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a mention early on by Richard Armitage about a scene filmed with Bilbo and Thorin early on in AUJ (not sure if it was in Rivendell or before) in a little bit of background on Thorin's youth. As I recall it was something about the glimmering gems in the ceiling of Erebor (or his own room?) glittered just as the many stars in the sky.

I thought it was a really great idea for a scene, but I agree it would have come too early, Thorin would have had no reason to open up to Bilbo like that in AUJ.

So perhaps it might be some deleted scene they were saving for BotFA? Or perhaps saved for a prologue.

You also have an incredible idea for a prologue, but I think the most realistic change *might* be Thrain giving the Map and Key to Gandalf before the battle of Azanluzibar (likely butchered that.)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 17 2015, 9:11am

Post #5 of 9 (752 views)
Shortcut
No, thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd rather not see any prologue scene at all in this film, because I think the start for it that exists is perfect. Any prologue would diminish the truly amazing Smaug 'Great Fire' sequence.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Jun 17 2015, 11:56am

Post #6 of 9 (720 views)
Shortcut
Thrain and the palantir [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always wanted (dreamed) that the Extended Edition of BOTFA would have a scene, a prologue, showing the removed scene from DOS (edited a bit) that featured Gandalf looking through the palantir and seeing a vision with Smaug. Smile
I know, most people won't like this idea, and there are small chances PJ might include this scene. But this is my dream of a BOTFA prologue Wink

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 17 2015, 12:58pm

Post #7 of 9 (698 views)
Shortcut
Well… [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps the film-makers could be asked to put extraneous scenes that may have been shot on the EE behind-the-scenes disk, for people to look at?

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jun 17 2015, 4:18pm

Post #8 of 9 (651 views)
Shortcut
I have a vision of [In reply to] Can't Post

A hobbit trying to nail a tiny worm...

...Then fade and reopen : the tiny worm grew bigger and went fire went death. Cool

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Jun 18 2015, 7:12pm

Post #9 of 9 (507 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great idea, hoping to see it in the EE.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.