The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Fili's beheading on the EE

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 16 2015, 2:29pm

Post #1 of 15 (1838 views)
Shortcut
Fili's beheading on the EE Can't Post

I heard once on the The One Ring a news about Spoiler from BOTFA. So, here's the link:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/12/01/95295-big-hobbit-movie-spoilers-from-the-five-armies-chronicles-art-and-design-book/

Fili beheaded? I can't wait Shocked

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 16 2015, 2:33pm

Post #2 of 15 (1786 views)
Shortcut
I hope not [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hardly prudish, but even I think that would be grossly over the top and unnecessary. Save the violence for Orcs.

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Jun 16 2015, 2:43pm

Post #3 of 15 (1773 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

This was never going to be used, it was just an idea. Fili keeps his head. Let's not spread this disturbing rumor any further.

Defiant
Bree

Jun 16 2015, 8:41pm

Post #4 of 15 (1540 views)
Shortcut
Dude was wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

It was never even an idea as far as I can tell. I have that book and there is NO mention of Fili being beheaded. The book does say that Azog threw Fili's body off the cliff, and I assume that the original rumour poster for some reason took that to mean headless body, but we know from watching the film that wasn't the case and there's no mention of a decapitation in the book. Dude was simply wrong. It's a rumour with no basis.

(This post was edited by Defiant on Jun 16 2015, 8:43pm)

Defiant
Bree

Jun 16 2015, 8:48pm

Post #5 of 15 (1526 views)
Shortcut
Here is the exact quote from the book: [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the only bit in the book pertaining to Fili's death ...

'In the course of the battle Fili would find himself separated and alone inside the Ravenhill ruin, where Azog and his bodyguards capture him. Within sight of Thorin and Kili, who are both too far away to help, the young Dwarf is killed by the pale Orc, who discards Fili’s body over the edge of the broken balcony.'

Alan Lee, Concept Art Director

Somehow the original rumour starter got the impression of a beheading from that quote, but that is never said. Let's put this bit of nonsense to bed once and for all.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 16 2015, 10:29pm

Post #6 of 15 (1452 views)
Shortcut
No! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never ever ever eeeever want to see that. It's too much. I was surprised they showed Thror's beheaded... well, head. I think it'll be fifteen times worse for it to be Fili. No way. Over the top. His death was hard to watch as it is because of the cruelty of it.

Also, think of the funeral scene. It's just too grotesque to show the body and no head or the head seperated. Extra work too that will do no one good.

Just no.

Defiant
Bree

Jun 16 2015, 10:52pm

Post #7 of 15 (1438 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, like I wrote, it was never going to happen. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a nonsense rumour from the start.

lonelymountainhermit
Lorien

Jun 16 2015, 11:06pm

Post #8 of 15 (1431 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

The book doesn't mention anything about dwarf/elf love triangles or elves flying on bats either, so it's a possibility.

Defiant
Bree

Jun 16 2015, 11:10pm

Post #9 of 15 (1421 views)
Shortcut
By book, I mean The Chronicles book ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that this rumour was sourced supposedly from. The original runmour was an early report from Chronicles V. I have it. There's no mention of the beheading, as per the quoted passage above.

lonelymountainhermit
Lorien

Jun 16 2015, 11:14pm

Post #10 of 15 (1411 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see how they would get a beheading from that quote. Probably just wishful thinking from a hardcore PJ fan. But still, I wouldn't be shocked if the rumor was true.

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 16 2015, 11:25pm

Post #11 of 15 (1402 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

Who created this rumour?

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Jun 16 2015, 11:29pm

Post #12 of 15 (1399 views)
Shortcut
Why would anyone WANT that to happen? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or just someone with a sick and twisted mind. Although now that you mention it, the thought probably crossed PJ's mind once or twice. They were considering drowning Kili at one point, and since they didn't care about Fili, I can see it being at least brought up.

lonelymountainhermit
Lorien

Jun 16 2015, 11:38pm

Post #13 of 15 (1392 views)
Shortcut
I don't know, I sure wouldn't [In reply to] Can't Post

However, many of the movie fans aren't overly concerned with faithfulness to the book, and don't mind PJ's over-the-top alterations.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Jun 17 2015, 2:56am

Post #14 of 15 (1332 views)
Shortcut
Fili beheaded... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know someone who has a friend who works with WETA...they said they had tossed this idea around, but it was never filmed. And if it was why wouldyou want to see it?

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 17 2015, 9:20am

Post #15 of 15 (1263 views)
Shortcut
Heaven knows [In reply to] Can't Post

There are many rumours and speculations propagated about these films – often over-complicating some original scene, or emphasising someone's desire for something to be the case (or not) in an existing or imagined scene that is alleged to have been shot. It's not difficult for a rumour to be started, then accepted as fact.

In Reply To
Who created this rumour?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.