Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A question - how did Thranduil know about Bilbo?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 16 2015, 1:41am

Post #1 of 56 (3426 views)
Shortcut
A question - how did Thranduil know about Bilbo? Can't Post

So I was home sick today, and since daytime TV sucks I re-watched BOT5A again. And I have this question: HOW did Thranduil know about Bilbo? He says, "If I'm not mistaken, this is the halfling that stole the keys to my dungeon...." But HOW did he know that? Bilbo wore the ring to get inside Mirkwood, the Orc he questioned didn't say anything about a halfling, and even if Bard mentioned Bilbo how would he know that Bilbo stole the keys? I don't recall anything in DOS that would have given either Bard or Thranduil the idea that Bilbo snuck in and stole the keys. I guess Thranduil could "assume" this, but it also seems like quite a stretch. What does anyone else think?

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Jun 16 2015, 1:45am

Post #2 of 56 (3178 views)
Shortcut
The Guards Saw Him. [In reply to] Can't Post

They saw him fall over, and that was why they went outside. They would have also saw him on the barrels, but I think it's more likely that they saw him fall over.

Also, I wouldn't say him assuming it would be a stretch. They captured 13 dwarves, but after finding out a hobbit was with them (from Bard telling him) and helping them, it would be likely to assume it was him.

"As the snowflakes cover my fallen brothers,
I will say this last goodbye."

(This post was edited by Hobbity Hobbit on Jun 16 2015, 1:49am)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 16 2015, 3:18am

Post #3 of 56 (3141 views)
Shortcut
Do you mean the trap door in the cellar? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to re-watch that scene again (thanks for giving me an excuse!Wink). I know that Tauriel saw the door close, but I didn't think she saw Bilbo. I suppose it's possible that some of the elves noticed a Hobbit mixed in with 13 dwarves during all that chaos, but that still seems like a stretch to me. That means that somehow Tauriel & Legolas missed a Hobbit? That the Halfling snuck into the Woodland realm under Legolas' nose? Of course, WE know how he managed to do that, but nobody else does - somebody's got some explaining to doCool

Bishop
Gondor

Jun 16 2015, 4:09am

Post #4 of 56 (3134 views)
Shortcut
Easy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili told Tauriel, Tauriel told Bard, and Bard told Thranduil.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 16 2015, 7:01am

Post #5 of 56 (3107 views)
Shortcut
All the reasons given above.... and..... [In reply to] Can't Post

...then there's Gandalf. The King had thirteen dwarves safely locked up and someone stole the keys. He also sensed that someone was moving around his palace - in that scene beween Thranduil and Tauriel he quite clearly reacts when Bilbo moves. Gandalf could have told him immediately who the 'someone' was (and it would have interested Gandalf to know that Bilbo could be invisible when it suited - this might be the first he heard about it).

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 16 2015, 11:18am

Post #6 of 56 (3063 views)
Shortcut
LOL! It's like a game of 'Telephone' [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili tells Tauriel they have a hobbit; Tauriel tells Bard that Kili thinks he's a hottie; Bard tells Thranduil that the dwarves have the hots for Tauriel; Thranduil declares war.

It all makes perfect sense now. Smile

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jun 16 2015, 7:23pm

Post #7 of 56 (2959 views)
Shortcut
All deduction. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil felt some invisible presence, hobbits are known to be silent and the keys were stolen, of course not by elves.
When Bilbo shows up coming from among the dwarves, how could it give another conclusion ?

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 16 2015, 9:17pm

Post #8 of 56 (2941 views)
Shortcut
Wait a minute, I'm confused.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili tells Tauriel they have a hobbit; Tauriel tells Bard that Kili thinks he's a hottie; Bard tells Thranduil that the dwarves have the hots for Tauriel; Thranduil declares war.

So when Kili is telling Tauriel about the firemoon, that's when the stalker-Legolas thinks he overhears that Kili thinks Bard is a hottie - but then Kili never met Bard, so it must have been Kili telling Tauriel that he thinks "Leggie is a hottie" and oh, btw, has anyone seen Thorin's hobbit?, and Legolas has that pensive look on his face at the river with Tauriel, because Legolas is having an *oh, marshmallows, moment* e.g.:

"I already told my Dad that the dwarves think I am a hottie and Dad is REALLY unhappy, and btw if we could catch Thorin's hobbit that I saw in the river with my elf-eyes..."
(tho I can't think that Thorin was THAT worried about this hobbit, as the little guy didn't even get his own barrel....)

"- anyway, we could trade this creature for the white gems, but Dad is kind of on the warpath right now, because it's kind of a disgrace that the SECOND dwarf prince think I am a hottie, and not the FIRST dwarf prince or even Thorin, "who does that dwarf king think he is, that I, Prince of Mirkwood, am not worthy???? - tho he did save my life, so there is always hope.."

And then Thranduil goes on the warpath over this dwarf insult (note when Thranduil comments on "the heirlooms of my people are not lightly forsaken" that that line was edited from "the heirlooms of my people are not lightly forsaken, nor the beauty and nobility of the Prince of Mirkwood and who does this shortstuff smelly dwarf king think he is, just because some clueless fangirls go for the bedhead, textured hair and leather look - huh"

And then Bard allies with Thranduil, because Thranduil brought more food after Bilbo ate up everything in Laketown with second breakfasts and teas and of course the dwarves are big believers in big meals, and Bard hasn't stopped complaining about Bilbo's appetite the whole time, so by the time Bilbo shows up Thranduil and Bard keep looking at him, because they can't believe Bilbo isn't as big as a
mūmak as much as he eats.

Meanwhile, Tauriel, not being stupid, saves Kili's life in order to impress Fili, because she understandably thinks Fili is a hottie.Cool

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 16 2015, 9:40pm

Post #9 of 56 (2931 views)
Shortcut
Yes, this. [In reply to] Can't Post

When Gandalf and Thranduil met, I'm sure they would have had a conversation about the dwarves - and Gandalf would have wanted to know how his burglar was doing (and that he was still with the company). I'm sure his name came up and two and two were put together.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 16 2015, 10:49pm

Post #10 of 56 (2913 views)
Shortcut
ROTFL!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes! Thanks for clearing that up LaughLaughLaugh

And obviously PJ is saving it all for the EE. Wink

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 17 2015, 12:34am

Post #11 of 56 (2902 views)
Shortcut
LOLs!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

It all makes perfect sense now. Smile

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 17 2015, 1:13am

Post #12 of 56 (2895 views)
Shortcut
That's nothing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just wait for the next showdown: Thranduil v. Thorin, Part II - Who's the hottest one of all!

Obviously it's the one that can melt the most snow from smouldering!Wink

But Thranduil will have his revenge:

He believes that will make him the sweetest - not sure it works that way.Cool

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 17 2015, 3:57pm

Post #13 of 56 (2835 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* I ate all of your candy [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil: I ate all of your candy.....*snigger*

Thorin: *&^%$#!!!

Thranduil: It was delicious *smirk*

Thorin: Yeah? And Bifur took down your moose - mmmmhhhh THAT was delicious barbecued with some 'slaw and biscuits - I'm using the antlers for a hat stand...waste not, want not!

Thranduil: You *&^%$$ smelly ***&^% flea-infested ^&%$#!!!!!

Thorin: Hey, they don't call me the Tooth Fairy for being *vegetarian*!

Thranduil: I hate you! You will stay here and rot in my dungeon for 100 years!

Thorin: I hate you back and anyway my hobbit already stole the keys right under your "elf-eyes" - maybe you were too busy tripping over your dress to notice....

Thranduil: Huh. YOUR HOBBIT is gonna give me the most *precious* jewel in your realm - I'm thinking of making a brooch out of it - AND you lost your sword...

Thorin: Big deal, I have LOTS of swords. And the best hair in Middle Earth. AND a whole chest of white gems, that I'm thinking of pounding into glitter powder for a Christmas in July party....

*The azure and sapphire eyes of the two kings blazed into each other's; the sifting light danced across silken strands of moonlight and ebony locks; fangirls around the world gasped at the sight of so much mythic pulchritude in high resolution IMAX and silently sent a thousand thanks to Sir Peter Jackson as they frantically fanned the air...*

Thranduil: Er, you wanna go get some drinks?

Thorin: Well, yah know, I'm not really dressed to go out...

Thranduil: We could do an antipasto and wine on the patio - the view is quite nice, you can look at your mountain...

Thorin: That sounds great...and maybe you can share some hair care tips, my coiling nightshade riverine tumbling locks have taken a beating - don't wanna get my fangirls upset....

Thranduil: It's a great look tho - tres chic. And um, you didn't really shoot my moosey?

Thorin: Nah, I was just messin' with you. Your moose is adorable, especially since he's fallen in love with Dwalin - follows him everywhere, braying and trying to eat his clothes. National Geographic is filming a documentary - the guys think it's hysterical.

CoolCoolCool

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jun 17 2015, 9:10pm

Post #14 of 56 (2798 views)
Shortcut
the best hair has the best smell [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Thorin: That sounds great...and maybe you can share some hair care tips, my coiling nightshade riverine tumbling locks have taken a beating - don't wanna get my fangirls upset....

Thranduil: It's a great look tho - tres chic. And um, you didn't really shoot my moosey?

While moving to walk past Thorin, on his way to send an order for antipasto and Dorwinion wine to the Mirkwood kitchens Thranduil in all his regal aloofness could not resist - ever so imperceptibly - getting a little better acquainted with the dwarf king's admittedly most becoming hair...

Tongue

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 18 2015, 1:49am

Post #15 of 56 (2757 views)
Shortcut
ROFLOL [In reply to] Can't Post

So many are GUILTY.....LaughLaughLaugh

I bet Thorin's hair smells like cinnamon and brandy and vanilla and spices and wood fires and autumn leaves and north windsTongueTongueTongue..."wrath and ruin" my foot. Thranduil just wanted to know how some *grubby dwarf* could still smell like cookies bakingHeartHeartHeart, even after weeks in the woods.....

There can be ONLY ONE:

CoolCoolCoolCool

Kim
Valinor

Jun 19 2015, 1:56am

Post #16 of 56 (2690 views)
Shortcut
PJ & Co really missed out [In reply to] Can't Post

If only they'd offered you a place on the writing team from the beginning. Angelic

Thranduil: We could do an antipasto and wine on the patio - the view is quite nice, you can look at your mountain...

Thorin: Nah, I was just messin' with you. Your moose is adorable, especially since he's fallen in love with Dwalin - follows him everywhere, braying and trying to eat his clothes. National Geographic is filming a documentary - the guys think it's hysterical.

CoolCoolCool

Perfection. Laugh

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Jun 19 2015, 2:28am

Post #17 of 56 (2683 views)
Shortcut
Well, I guess one of his allies would tell him. [In reply to] Can't Post

"As the snowflakes cover my fallen brothers,
I will say this last goodbye."

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 19 2015, 12:12pm

Post #18 of 56 (2659 views)
Shortcut
Yes! LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Every time Thorin hugs Bilbo at the end of AUJ I have a guilty fangirl moment of wondering if Thorin's hair smells like shampoo. I think it's time for someone to track down Martin Freeman and get the final word on that from the one who knows. Laugh Heart Blush

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 19 2015, 12:14pm

Post #19 of 56 (2655 views)
Shortcut
This is too great [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't stop laughing - thank you for the perfect Friday morning humor! Smile

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 19 2015, 6:09pm

Post #20 of 56 (2637 views)
Shortcut
*Bows deeply* [In reply to] Can't Post

If only they'd offered you a place on the writing team from the beginning. Angelic

Thank you - what a great compliment!!!!!BlushBlushBlushBlushSmileSmileSmileSmile

(And for sure, that B-roll footage wouldn't have slipped past on my watch....WinkCoolEvil)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 19 2015, 6:18pm

Post #21 of 56 (2637 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* - I can't stop... [In reply to] Can't Post

AngelicAngelicAngelic

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 19 2015, 9:33pm

Post #22 of 56 (2623 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! [In reply to] Can't Post

Drat it all, Avandel! I had just managed to stop thinking about Thorin's hair for a couple of hours and now....

Sigh...do you think he uses strawberry shampoo? Or maybe coconut with a hint of honey? Oh dear, if it's an ocean breeze scent it's game over - someone please just catch me when my knees buckle... Laugh Heart

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 20 2015, 2:00am

Post #23 of 56 (2620 views)
Shortcut
Whoah! You managed a COUPLE of HOURS??????!!!!! OMG!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sigh...do you think he uses strawberry shampoo? Or maybe coconut with a hint of honey? Oh dear, if it's an ocean breeze scent it's game over - someone please just catch me when my knees buckle... Laugh Heart

Oh, definitely not anything FRUITY - no sirreee....after all, our Thorin makes those little boys in the aftershave commercials look like, well, little boys....LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

*THUD*TongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

I think his hair smells like wood smoke and crisp star-smeared nights and like rain and spices and leather and the storm wind......TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

Unforgettable, that's what you are.
Unforgettable, though near or far......

Like a song of love that clings to me,
How the thought of you does things to me,

Never before has someone been more.

Unforgettable, in every way.
And forever more.

Never before has someone been more.

CoolTongueAngelic

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 20 2015, 11:30am

Post #24 of 56 (2587 views)
Shortcut
Saints preserve us! [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL - You did it again Avandel. That's two mornings in a row that I sat down, flipped open the computer and choked on my tea, laughing at your brilliant commentary while gasping at the gloriousness that is Thorin. Laugh Tongue

And I think you've totally nailed it - wood smoke - definitely wood smoke. Now I'm going straight to the store and getting some nice smokey Lapsang Souchong tea to drink while I listen to the Misty Mountains song. Wink Laugh Heart

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 20 2015, 6:05pm

Post #25 of 56 (2571 views)
Shortcut
*bows deeply to a MASTER of her CRAFT* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you! What a nice compliment from one who is so INSIGHTFUL re Thorin's journal LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh which has been carefully preserved.....TongueCoolEvil

Now I'm going straight to the store and getting some nice smokey Lapsang Souchong tea to drink while I listen to the Misty Mountains song. Wink Laugh Heart

*Grins* today I think Thorin's hair smells like the chai tea I am drinking + violets, with a faint but oddly seductive tang of bitter orange and FIRE....

The thing is - the thing is - once one starts looking at Thorin picturesTongueTongueTongue, you just can't stop. It's like potato chips or jelly beans or eating peanuts - and all of a sudden, there's an empty bag and you feel oddly content....

It's also very ZEN - one could spend hours in MEDITATION, just tracing the silky gently waving path of a few soft coiling darkling GOSSAMER strands - like trying to contemplate the universe on a starry night, Thorin's entire mane is just TOO GREAT a THING for mere mortals to assimilate....

BTW - what was this post about, again??? - I am so lost.....TongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.