View Results (39 votes)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 19 2015, 7:02pm

Post #26 of 34 (1531 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Apparently, scientifically, there is but one actual race: human.

Our random colors and subtle differences in shape are nothing compared to the differences in dogs (just a subspecies of Wolf, at that).

There are physical differences that distinguish the break-down of the three major racial types. It's just that those differences are much less consequential than many people want to admit. As you say, there is only one human species in modern times.

Now, historically, race was defined differently and could be broken down into what we would call ethnic categories today. Greeks and Norsemen might both be white, but were thought of as separate races. The same with, for another example, Japanese and Koreans. Most of us can (I hope) see beyond such a viewpoint today.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 19 2015, 7:04pm)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 19 2015, 7:29pm

Post #27 of 34 (1533 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I would definitely qualify. [In reply to] Can't Post

Anglo-Saxon royal bloodlines, and Wardens of the Marches in the family, too!

Yeah, we're not so boring if we look deeper into our history, but it's the little bit that isn't European capturing my interest now. The other 4% is parts of Asia -- Central and West. Siiilk Roooad!
=)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 19 2015, 8:51pm

Post #28 of 34 (1519 views)
Shortcut
Exotic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Methinks you had some brave explorers in your ancestry!

And just think - you also had ancestors who worshipped Thor, who is now a gorgeous blond Hollywood movie star Smile- LOL - that makes you practically related to Chris Hemsworth, so for goodness sake get his phone number and pass it along! Wink Heart

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 19 2015, 9:18pm

Post #29 of 34 (1518 views)
Shortcut
I vaguely remember from my Physical Anthropology class... [In reply to] Can't Post

that it takes more genes to determine hair color than skin color? It's been awhile so maybe I'm remembering wrong, but that class is where I was introduced to the fact that what we call "races" are just genetic variations that are no different or more important physically than eye color and hair color.

And, on a completely unrelated note, it's also the class where we learned to tell human hip bones from chimpanzee hip bones and why it's so hard for chimps to walk upright, which for some completely random reason I found totally fascinating. Smile

I was always glad I had taken that class, it was very mind broadening.

Annael
Immortal

Jun 20 2015, 12:06am

Post #30 of 34 (1511 views)
Shortcut
just ran across t his quote: [In reply to] Can't Post

We forget that the soul has its own ancestors.

Maybe that's why some of us feel such a pull to a particular culture, even if we aren't linked to it by bloodline.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jun 20 2015, 11:42am

Post #31 of 34 (1486 views)
Shortcut
well said [In reply to] Can't Post

and diversity is Ma Nature's first rule Smile

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 24 2015, 8:36pm

Post #32 of 34 (1411 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty happy as me, except for the aches and pains. Oh, and [In reply to] Can't Post

I really would rather have fat hair and a thin stomach, but somehow I got it backwards. And longer hair would be nice. I grow it as long as I can, but that's getting shorter as I get older. So I guess I'm Trans-Rapunzel.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 24 2015, 8:43pm

Post #33 of 34 (1411 views)
Shortcut
As far as race goes [In reply to] Can't Post

I was kind of excited to find out recently through some DNA testing that my sister did that we're about 3% Neanderthal. Though I guess that's actually not that special, being pretty common for those of us of European extraction.

sherlock
Gondor

Jun 28 2015, 2:46pm

Post #34 of 34 (1318 views)
Shortcut
I voted happy as I am but [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very short and would like to be a bit taller. I've always said if I had to be unusually tall or unusually short I would pick short.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.