Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
** 'The Fellowship of the Ring' book II, ch. 9-3, 'The Great River': 'The last stage of the Quest was before them'
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sador
Half-elven

Jun 25 2015, 4:42pm

Post #26 of 27 (808 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
… they are wayward if mishandled.

What does that even mean? You have to pet them and say nice things to them? You have to dry them off with soft flannel every night and sing them to sleep? When you handle them you must use the expression “If you please” for the particularly gentlemanly tone it implants?

In Reply To
Why does he agree to stay with them until the Tindrock?
Going there anyway. Might as well take credit for altruism.

Was he? I thought he was suggesting not looking for the portage-way, and heading direct West.
That way, he could run across Snaga, who would be scared there was another lone traveller in Rohan, and get really frightened.

In Reply To
I wonder if Boromir made it past Pelargir without being stripped naked? I wouldn’t put it past the corsairs painting a funny face on his tummy or writing “Oh, dear/ the long career/ of Boromir/ doth end I fear” on his forehead.

That explains why they were so afraid of the Army of the Dead.
Aragorn was nothing; but the dead Boromir had a grudge.

In Reply To
Men were just too dang tall. The Men had to force a path for the passage of themselves, the wizard, and The Elf. If it was just Gimli and the hobbits they could have saved a lot of effort and just tunneled through to freedom.

So he just added another 70 kilos to the exhausted-already Bill.
If you're a passenger, you might as well travel in style.

In Reply To

Notice he didn’t dare say it until The Dwarf was asleep. At least Boromir isn’t suicidal.

Smile
One in a family is enough.

In Reply To

Either principled skepticism or self-interested denialism.
That is, it depends on the observer.

Agreed.

In Reply To
But what if Denethor wasn’t? Would Boromir go against his father, the current legitimate ruler of Gondor who already has the precedent of the Council of Gondor against Arvedui's claim, and thus Aragorn’s claim?

I don't think he's planning so far.

sador
Half-elven

Jun 25 2015, 4:56pm

Post #27 of 27 (814 views)
Shortcut
And last [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So here is an easy one: where does the thread title come from?

http://newboards.theonering.net/..._leadership!_P481646

Yes, I remembered using it before. But that's not an answer.

In Reply To

It’s pretty much assumed. I mean, what else are you going to do with a chair?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qxu5cvW-ds

In Reply To

Doesn't the end of the chapter contradict Aragorn's suggestion that they could take to the water again below Rauros?
Well, Aragorn pretty much proves to Boromir that they can, albeit posthumously.

Boromir took to the water above Rauros. I don't think Aragorn would have carried him down the Northren Stair, but you can never know with Rangers.

In Reply To

I’m thinking he let Legolas go on and verify the trail while he crouched in the mist to see if he could catch Boromir grabbing for the Ring.

And Boromir caught him, of course. Hence "I am a honest man, neither thief nor tracker" in the next tracker.

In Reply To

More riddle than question: how are both Isildur and Anárion Aragorn's sires?
He claims both Arnor and Gondor.

Which returns to my question, essentially.

In Reply To

One really doesn’t just decide to be King. One simply Is. It’s kinda like puberty: You wake up one morning and you’ve have changed, like a caterpillar into a butterfly.

Like Richard III woke up and found that somebody was preaching his nephews were actually bastards.

In Reply To
A little Madness in the Spring
Is wholesome even for the King

The Hatter tried that tack when called to give testimony, and the Queen wouldn't even let him finish his bread-and-butter.

It's always fun with you around!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.