Welcome to Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 12 2015, 4:01pm

Post #1 of 33 (398 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Greetings, and welcome to another Fiesta Friday!

This Fiesta follows the sad news we received just yesterday about the passing of Sir Christopher Lee, our beloved Saruman. So, whatever libation you have here at Fiesta today (all on the house today, by the way), be sure and toast to him - an amazing actor and human being who's legacy will live on in many of our hearts. Heart

Be sure and also let us know how your week went and/or what plans you have for the weekend. We're going to catch the new Jurrasic World movie. Can't wait!

*kicks juke box* "The Bloody Verdict of Verden" by Sir Christopher Lee fills the room

R.I.P. dear sir!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2015, 4:19pm

Post #2 of 33 (344 views)
Shortcut
That news was so sad... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have a Spring/Summer Usual to toast with, please. (Thanks!)

As for this week, yeah, I think I'd like to see Jurassic World, too. :)

Hope you enjoy the movie (and your weekend), Altaira!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 12 2015, 4:23pm

Post #3 of 33 (343 views)
Shortcut
*raises mug* To a wonderful man and great actor! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sir Christopher will never be forgotten. Heart

Might I please have some of your highest-caffein coffee, Altaira? With a nice shot of Bailey's? It's "Field Day" here, the kids are running amok, and we in the tech area found out this morning that we need to put together a "wish list" by the end of the day for a grant proposal! Laugh

I've got some weeds to take care of this weekend, and I'm trying to get some herbs growing indoors and need to pick up good pots for them. And plant some kitty-grass for our adopted sisters, one of them has been attacking my chives!

Yeah, my grown kids want to take me to the Jurassic movie - it should be a fun one!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Post #4 of 33 (343 views)
Shortcut
I just had to pop by for the toast [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi everyone,thought I would join in a virtual glass of wine, and raise it to the memory of a passing legend. Feels like the end of a cinematic era.

Life is busy as always. We recently added a new pup to the family, a border collie who we have named Drift. He is about 10 weeks old and full of mischief!

Home renovations continue, but as we are mostly self building in our spare time, it feels like it is taking forever!

Recently we have holidayed in Scotland, cannot believe we haven't been before, it was breathtaking. I feel we will be heading back soon enough...

Hope everyone is well and happy Smile

Altaira
Superuser

Post #5 of 33 (338 views)
Shortcut
miruvor and 7-up, coming up! [In reply to] Can't Post

A good choice - one I'm sure Sir Lee would approve of. Smile

Have fun seeing the movie and with the rest of your weekend plans!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 12 2015, 4:24pm

Post #6 of 33 (337 views)
Shortcut
Toasting Saruman with miruvor... [In reply to] Can't Post

Somehow, that seems appropriate! Smile

Enjoy the weekend, Evey!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 12 2015, 4:26pm

Post #7 of 33 (336 views)
Shortcut
Another pup? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh gosh, what a furry family you're accumulating! Have the other two shown him how to get into all sorts of trouble yet? Wink

Yes - Scotland is lovely. And great for hiking!

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2015, 4:32pm

Post #8 of 33 (335 views)
Shortcut
I think Scout has been wondering when the pup will be going home [In reply to] Can't Post

He hasn't quite realised that he *is* home!

Three dogs and a cat, that's not too crazy is it?!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 12 2015, 4:33pm

Post #9 of 33 (340 views)
Shortcut
*raises glass* Dear Sir... [In reply to] Can't Post

An amazing life. I'm so glad he was able to be a part of Middle-earth in films. He was so happy about that!

Peace...

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 12 2015, 4:33pm

Post #10 of 33 (334 views)
Shortcut
Of course not... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as long as the cat can keep the dogs under control! Laugh

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 12 2015, 4:38pm

Post #11 of 33 (333 views)
Shortcut
Oh, field day again is it? [In reply to] Can't Post

High caffeine coffee, indeed!

Good luck brainstorming for the grant proposal. I hope it results in you getting more of what you need at work.

Enjoy the weekend and the movie! Smile

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 12 2015, 4:49pm

Post #12 of 33 (327 views)
Shortcut
Congrats on the new puppy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Time to hide your shoes again. We want pictures! Laugh

Scotland is definitely on our itinerary. It gets rave reviews from everyone we know who have been. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Have a great weekend puppy and dog wrangling!

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 12 2015, 4:52pm

Post #13 of 33 (328 views)
Shortcut
Hey there, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the many amazing things about him is that he never stopped! He kept on doing the things he loved until his body failed him. I hope I have one tenth of his energy and passion for life as I grow old.

Have a great weekend, whatever your plans, my dear. Smile

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2015, 5:26pm

Post #14 of 33 (332 views)
Shortcut
I think I'll have a pint [In reply to] Can't Post

of whatever Sir Christopher was drinking when he Met The Professor. I love that part of the Cannes interview where he talks about the experience. Tolkien came over, the rest of the people said hello and "he knelt of course" was dumbstruck. wow. Christopher Lee speechless. We all have our fanboy/girl moments! Smile

As for my week...

Level Up - Achievement unlocked. My daughter had her 5th grade promotion ceremony and I am officially no longer an elementary school parent. It's taken 18 years (and waaay too many volunteer hours) to get to this point. They didn't announce all the awards but she did receive a Outstanding scholar award. She was on track to win WordMasters also but they didn't do the program this year. Last year she beat the majority of the 5th graders. Ah well, as luck would have it, I guess. She looked beautiful too in her new dress. She rarely wears dresses so I was glad to see her pick that to wear because she does look nice in them. Today is the "Clap Out" for the elementary school. The 5th graders walk past all the classrooms and the kids come out and clap them off to middle school. It's a nice tradition to end their time at the school.

We also had our son's 18th birthday/graduation party. A few relatives were able to make the trip so that was nice. He also found out that he has been certified to sit for his Eagle Board of Review at the end of the month.

Plans for this week?
  • 6th grade Orientation for youngest and a parent (yes, I know. Been there done that a bunch of times but who knows? They may have cookies!)
  • Get paperwork copied and handed in for son's Eagle.
  • Turn in the last of my Girl Scout Troop account information. We're merging so that is off my plate now! Yay!
  • Fall down. It's been a long couple of weeks filled with wonderful things but more than my pea-sized brain and way-too-big heart can handle.

And once more - raise a glass for Sir Christopher Lee. He may have sailed into the West, but his legacy is forever a part of our Middle Earth.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jun 12 2015, 5:26pm

Post #15 of 33 (323 views)
Shortcut
Greetings, all - I think [In reply to] Can't Post

some of the special old home-made damson gin would be suitable to toast the great man tonight - looks vaguely bloodlike in my little crystal sherry glass - quite appropriate, really! Its that or rustle up a Wicker Man in the garden and burn an effigy of David McCallum...I think I'll stick with the gin!
Cheers, all, and have a good weekend.

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 12 2015, 5:53pm

Post #16 of 33 (326 views)
Shortcut
I'll put a pillow underneath you [In reply to] Can't Post

..for your much deserved 'fall down.' (too funny Laugh).

My goodness - your kids and you are having too many milestones to count! No wonder you need to fall (or hopefully sit gently) down once it's all over. I love the 'clap out' tradition. It must make the 5th graders feel pretty chuffed!

Enjoy your weekend, Dame Ioreth!

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 12 2015, 5:54pm

Post #17 of 33 (318 views)
Shortcut
Yes, gin will be much safer! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good instincts there, GH. Sly

I hope you have a lovely weekend, whatever you do (after drinking the gin, that is). Wink

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 12 2015, 5:56pm

Post #18 of 33 (316 views)
Shortcut
**Self-serve, and the bar is open all weekend in honor of Sir Lee. Have a wonderful weekend! // [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileHeartCool

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2015, 5:58pm

Post #19 of 33 (314 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! :) *raises glass* // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2015, 5:59pm

Post #20 of 33 (316 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, and I hope you have a great weekend, too, dernwyn! :)

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jun 12 2015, 8:02pm

Post #21 of 33 (300 views)
Shortcut
Well, my garden's actually looking pretty good [In reply to] Can't Post

at the moment - a smouldering pyre would not improve the effect! Also a couple of damson gins will help me ignore the weeds... I mean come on, they're all green, aren't they?! <snerk>

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 12 2015, 8:20pm

Post #22 of 33 (303 views)
Shortcut
*raises a pint of 1420 to Sir Christopher* [In reply to] Can't Post

I had some good news this week. I was referred to a physio to see if he could help with this hip/leg pain I have, and within 10 minutes he identified the cause - my hips are angled to the left. I need to retrain my core muscles about what 'straight' is. Having an answer, finally, and way forward to fixing the problem after more than a year of pain almost brought me to tears. It's been a very frustrating time!

Until I get some hand-weights, the physio suggested I exercise with a 2L bottle of milk in each hand - but I had a better idea and use full wine bottles instead. Each to their own, he? Tongue

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 12 2015, 8:30pm

Post #23 of 33 (293 views)
Shortcut
*Raises coffee cup* [In reply to] Can't Post

Farewell, Sir Christopher. You leave a great legacy.

--
After spending most of last weekend pottering about in the garden, today's looking like a stay indoors and listen to the rain on the roof sort of day. Time to catch up on the filing, and hopefully get some writing done, while keeping the fire going.

I had a good ride this week, on a lovely chestnut mare I'm beginning to bond with. She has quite a personality!

Here's to a rewarding week ahead for all.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 12 2015, 8:40pm

Post #24 of 33 (292 views)
Shortcut
Excellent news! [In reply to] Can't Post

Physios can be great. When I had my rotator cuff tear, I neglected it for almost sixmonths, kidding myself it was getting better, and finally admitting it wasn't. After my first physio session, I remember walking down the road and realising that it was the first time in all those months that I hadn't been in pain.

It did take months of faithfully doing the exercises to really get it to come right, and I'm sure you'll be sensible enough to do yours. Especially with the wine bottles offering a reward for effort. :)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Annael
Immortal

Jun 12 2015, 9:31pm

Post #25 of 33 (292 views)
Shortcut
good news! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to get retrained on how I walk, once - I had to learn to turn my right upper leg in (not really, it just felt that way) so that my knee would track straight. Took a while but the new habit took and I've had no knee troubles since.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.