The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Another legend passes away....

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2015, 8:58pm

Post #1 of 7 (336 views)
Shortcut
Another legend passes away.... Can't Post

Pro Wrestler Dusty Rhodes died today at the age of 69. He was one of the larger than life guys who put modern pro wrestling on the map. He was known as the American Dream. Two of Dusty's sons became wrestlers, Cody Rhodes who is wrestling in the WWE these days and Dustin Rhodes, more famously known as Goldust from the 1990's.

Dusty wrestled with the NWA in the 70's and '80's...taking on legends like Ric Flair, Sting and Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat. The American Dream also spent time with the AWA and the WWF/WWE.

His in-ring work was never that technically sound, he was a brawler more or less, but is 'mic' work was some of the best the industry has ever seen. Many of the wrestlers of the 80's, 90's and early 2000's used Rhodes work on the microphone as an example of how to either win over a crowd or make them hate you...Rhodes could do both at the drop of a dime, with very few words. He was that good.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Twitter - @DonryFetor
FB - https://www.facebook.com/donryfetortheouthouse
Instagram - donryfetor
Blog - donryfetorsouthouse.wordpress.com

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jun 11 2015, 9:03pm

Post #2 of 7 (311 views)
Shortcut
Dusty was a wrestler when I was a big wrestling fan [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems the life expectancy of those guys isn't too good.

My hat is off to a wrestling legend.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jun 12 2015, 7:40pm

Post #3 of 7 (251 views)
Shortcut
When I was a kid, our local tv station had "All Star Wrestling" and I remember [In reply to] Can't Post

Dusty Rhodes as one of the frequent "acts"...back then, quite a few fans thought it was real (I never did).

Crusher and Bruiser were favorites...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXhEOYhFL1g

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2015, 8:49pm

Post #4 of 7 (249 views)
Shortcut
Those were [In reply to] Can't Post

incredible tag matches.....some of the retired guys from the modern era marvel at those matches from the '70's and early '80's.
I have included a clip from one of the greats from that era here...Bruiser Brody.....this clip is a match against Ric 'The Nature Boy' Flair....
Brody was stabbed to death in a shower in Puerto Rico....
Flair is also a legend in the business...and has just started a weekly podcast...so far guests have included Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat, 'Mean' Gene Okerlund, Mick Foley, Brett 'The Hitman' Hart.....just for those who might be interested in hearing him talk about the old days of pro rasslin'....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FisTjkyS_w

Twitter - @DonryFetor
Instagram - donryfetor

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jun 12 2015, 11:23pm

Post #5 of 7 (243 views)
Shortcut
It may have been orchestrated acting but they were still big, tough guys who [In reply to] Can't Post

occasionally got hurt and had real grudges against some of their 'co-stars". There were the Good guys...Verne Gagne...the Bad Guys - Bobby Heenan and crew... Nick Bockwinkel
It was relatively small time in those days. It was funny to see the bland named guys who were the fall guys for the stars. Like "crewman 7" in Star Trek....

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jun 12 2015, 11:27pm)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2015, 11:55pm

Post #6 of 7 (237 views)
Shortcut
The old days... [In reply to] Can't Post

Back in those days there was the 'Face' wrestlers (good guys) and the 'heels' (bad guys)....and they used to wrestle those no-names each week during the tv tapings...those no-names were usually called Jobbers....they would lose every week...build up the Face's karma with the crowd or the Heels 'heat' with the crowd. And as you stated, they were (still are) big guys throwing each other around and bumping into one another. While the outcome may have been determined before hand...getting to that finish was often up to the wrestlers. Quite often they would work out a few moves behind the scenes but the rest of the match was 'called' by the veteran wrestler in the ring. So there was a lot of ad libbing going on in the ring and there were a ton of injuries. One of the more devastating injuries I remember was watching a guy named Triple H tear his quadricep muscle in a match and kept wrestling. These guys wrestled hurt often. Painkiller addiction was/is rampant.

Ric Flair recently was chatting with Ricky Steamboat about this schedule one Christmas during the late 70's/early 80's....he wrestled twice on Christmas Day and every day after until New Year's Day. Hulk Hogan says he wrestled some crazy amount like 300 days in a year once.....amazing to think they were traveling the globe as well. Back in the day (and in some cases it hasn't changed) if you missed your match due to injury etc. you were replaced by another wrestler waiting for his break. Guys didn't want to get replaced so they found ways to dull the pain and sacrificed family to be on the road all year long. No unions in that biz.

Those are some big bodies throwing other big bodies around the ring....amazing more of them weren't injured seriously....a real testament to their professionalism. Brett Hart maintains to his day that he never seriously hurt another wrestler in the ring. Hart's career was essentially ended when a wrestler mis-timed a kick and caught him flush on the chin giving Hart a severe concussion.

Twitter - @DonryFetor
Instagram - donryfetor

Adrianna
Lorien

Jun 17 2015, 1:59am

Post #7 of 7 (194 views)
Shortcut
Love wrestling [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed wrestling back when it was Macho Randy Savage , Jimmy Fly and Bush walkers. I can go on and on.

It's not the same any more.

But Rest in Peace, DustyFrown

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.