Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What's the best show on television these days?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Konrad S
Lorien

Jun 16 2015, 10:33am

Post #26 of 42 (1930 views)
Shortcut
thanks this will take a while to read [In reply to] Can't Post

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 16 2015, 1:40pm

Post #27 of 42 (1925 views)
Shortcut
Well Hmm Annael [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What's YOUR favorite show? That was the question. You do know that the rules of this board include not criticizing others' opinions, yes? Okay to disagree but not call names.

I’ll not try and differentiate between “disagree” and “criticize” but I don’t see any “name calling” by Konrad?

The only inaccuracy in his post that I notice is taking my post out of context. The quote I used was from the TV character Walter White. It was not MY quote as it appears to be on his post. Yet this still doesn’t constitute “name calling”.

What do I miss? Unsure

Annael
Immortal

Jun 16 2015, 2:35pm

Post #28 of 42 (1922 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

calling something that others like "stupid" is close. And saying "you guys" comes close to the dreaded "you people."

Anyway, my main point was to get him to share HIS likes instead of criticizing others'. There's a whole thread on Off Topic about liking/not liking GoT . . .

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Jun 16 2015, 2:37pm)

Annael
Immortal

Jun 16 2015, 2:39pm

Post #29 of 42 (1920 views)
Shortcut
copy and paste [In reply to] Can't Post

hold down the cursor and highlight the text you want to copy, then right-click and hit copy - then you can open a reply and paste it into that box.

If you want to set it off as a quote, there's the "quote" button at the bottom of the reply box. Be sure to click on it first before right-clicking and clicking "paste." Then you need to click on it again to put the second line at the bottom of the quoted text.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Konrad S
Lorien

Jun 16 2015, 4:16pm

Post #30 of 42 (1916 views)
Shortcut
Dude i explain myself, don't go totally crazy before i explain [In reply to] Can't Post

"You just cracked me up, dearest!"
–****** ”
My comment: ?

With that i meaned, i wonder what, You just cracked me up, dearest, mean.

"The Walking Dead"
– *****”
My comment: That sounds bloody

With that i meaned The walking dead sounds bloody

"And Adventure Time"
– ****** ”
comment: Really -.- a stupid dog and a stupid boy.

With: a stupid dog and a stupid boy. i meaned what that show i about and with Really, i meaned i dont tought adults whatch that serie and with: -.-, that smiley i only like, i dont know what it mean, but its look funny.

With "Sitting around, smoking marijuana, eating
Cheetos and masturbating do not constitute ‘plans.’”
–****** ”
My comment: Smooking Marijuana? What are you watching on, pepole´s take drugs?

I meaned what are u meaning do u watch on movie where persons take drugs or?

With "Game of Thrones"
– ****** ”
My comment: .... First i have seen the trailer,....... WHAT DO U WATCH ON, That Freaking Digusting, and Bloody, BUt Disgusting! and

"My favourite as well"
– Elanor of Rohan ”
My comment: .... not more game of thrones

i meaned i dont wanna see that film. So hope go not so very tottaly crazy on me. ...

Ps: Annael i dont really look on Tv and i dont look on a "show" now.

Ps: I wanna know if that i did is illegal, if what is the punishment, prison? : (worry)Unsure

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 16 2015, 7:31pm

Post #31 of 42 (1896 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry about it Konrad. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is one of those times when English as a second language has resulted in phrasing that could get a native-English speaker's back up - and it's clear that this wasn't your intent. You aren't in trouble. Smile

As for 'You cracked me up, dearest', it means SirDennisC's comment has caused Brethil to laugh a lot (cracked-up).

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 16 2015, 7:32pm

Post #32 of 42 (1891 views)
Shortcut
Still trying to figure where Konrad went wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no particular reason for sticking up for Konrad but – just curious. Perhaps his grasp of the English language may have something to do with it.

In Reply To
calling something that others like "stupid" is close. And saying "you guys" comes close to the dreaded "you people."
Anyway, my main point was to get him to share HIS likes instead of criticizing others'. There's a whole thread on Off Topic about liking/not liking GoT . . .

Below is the post in question I believe.

Okay you guys watch one strange things:
To put in other words we might say “Hello, you guys certainly watch strange TV programs”. I don’t even see this as an insult just an opinion, possibly bordering on criticism (depending on who’s doing the reading), but to me just an opinion. As I said before there is a subtle difference between “criticism” and “disagreement”. 50% of this site is “disagreement” or “debate”. Where would we be without the myriad of debates/opinions (keep it friendly of course) that occur here?
We all share our “likes”, but it often is not what others would agree with. Thus comes debate. And many, if not most, of these debates are enjoyable. It ALL can’t be sharing our likes; we should be able (with good intentions) contest the opinion of another or we will all be singing Kum ba yah on a very uninteresting site.

"Sitting around, smoking marijuana, eating
Cheetos and masturbating do not constitute ‘plans.’”
–Bracegirdle ”
My comment: Smooking Marijuana? What are you watching on, pepole´s take drugs?
Yes, taken me out of context here; but I was not particularly insulted, understanding to a degree his apparent computer skills and language difficulty, and a possible misinterpretation of where I was coming from.

"You just cracked me up, dearest!"
–Brethil ”
My comment: ?

"Game of Thrones"
– Blackfox ”
My comment: .... First i have seen the trailer,....... WHAT DO U WATCH ON, That Freaking Digusting, and Bloody, BUt Disgusting!
Yes, here is possibly some harsh and unnecessary language. Better would have been “I saw the trailer and don’t care to watch the program”. But I see no personal insult to BlackFox here as I believe his words refer to the program and the trailer that he watched. Not sure “what do u watch on” infers.

"My favourite as well"
– Elanor of Rohan ”
My comment: .... not more game of thrones

"The Walking Dead"
– Brethil ”
My comment: That sounds bloody

"And Adventure Time"
– Brethil ”
I’m not familiar with this program but again I assume he uses the word “stupid” in conjunction with the program and it doesn’t appear (to me) any insult or criticism of Brethil was intended. There are tons of stupid programs on TV, and to stifle an opinion of this sort encroaches on free speech.

Ok, happy times are more fun – agreed. And I always love your posts Annael and read them with great interest. Thanks a bunch.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 16 2015, 8:13pm

Post #33 of 42 (1885 views)
Shortcut
Face Off [In reply to] Can't Post

The contestants are about the art and the process. Any drama is incidental, almost always the result of a difference in artistic vision between a more assertive team member and a less confident one. Indeed, the contestants are almost always ready to take time from their own work to help each other out despite being rivals and pressed for time. Good show, good lessons.

Family Feud is also good. It seems more about the people, like my old favorite show, You Bet Your Life with Groucho Marx. The very likeable Steve Harvey seems genuinely interested in the contestants. Another feelgood show.

Mythbusters also gets a mention, with a nice chemistry between Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman, plus it's educational.

Nice shows, good people.

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 17 2015, 1:14am

Post #34 of 42 (1873 views)
Shortcut
I get you, Konrad [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

"And Adventure Time"
– ****** ”

With: a stupid dog and a stupid boy. i meaned what that show i about and with Really, i meaned i dont tought adults whatch that serie and with: -.-, that smiley i only like, i dont know what it mean, but its look funny.

My husband doesn't know why I enjoy cartoons either! But I do! Laugh Not all of them, though.

Konrad S
Lorien

Jun 17 2015, 5:36am

Post #35 of 42 (1864 views)
Shortcut
Dude i try to delete these names so dont copy my old write ! [In reply to] Can't Post

Konrad S
Lorien

Jun 18 2015, 6:43pm

Post #36 of 42 (1839 views)
Shortcut
I still want to know did i wrong or not? [In reply to] Can't Post

If ,exactly what did i wrong?

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 18 2015, 8:58pm

Post #37 of 42 (1835 views)
Shortcut
Ok Ataahua [In reply to] Can't Post

Konrad still appears to be in a bit of a quandary.
Er - me too.

Perhaps you could clarify somewhat if you would. A single sentence or phrasing of Konrad’s?

I’m a “native-English speaker”, but my “back” didn’t get “up” from his original post as I tried to explain (apparently a little unsuccessfully).

In Reply To
This is one of those times when English as a second language has resulted in phrasing that could get a native-English speaker's back up - and it's clear that this wasn't your intent. You aren't in trouble.

joec_34
Rivendell

Jun 22 2015, 6:29pm

Post #38 of 42 (1786 views)
Shortcut
The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross [In reply to] Can't Post

This will be my favorite as long as those old episodes are aired on PBS.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 22 2015, 7:15pm

Post #39 of 42 (1786 views)
Shortcut
It was a generic comment, [In reply to] Can't Post

not one directed at you. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

sherlock
Gondor

Jun 28 2015, 2:48pm

Post #40 of 42 (1692 views)
Shortcut
My favorites are [In reply to] Can't Post

Breaking Bad, The Wire and The Sopranos. I also enjoyed Dexter, Game of Thrones, Downtown Abbey, Nuse Jackie and Outlander.

dubulous
Rohan

Jun 29 2015, 7:34pm

Post #41 of 42 (1651 views)
Shortcut
Orphan Black [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, definitely Orphan Black. Also Call the Midwife. Two very different shows but both excellent in their own ways.

Personally I don't really get the praise for Game of Thrones. I still watch it (though it took me weeks to catch up this season because I just didn't care enough) but it keeps getting worse each season. As an adaptation it's downright awful even though as a totally separate TV show it still has some entertainment value.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 1:21am

Post #42 of 42 (1408 views)
Shortcut
The Flash [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.