The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Battle of the 5 Armies: Extended Edition Prologue

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 10 2015, 3:32pm

Post #1 of 12 (1838 views)
Shortcut
Battle of the 5 Armies: Extended Edition Prologue Can't Post

BOTFA is the only movie in ALL the six middle earth movies where we don't see a flashback prologue.

I just think we should have a introduction during the kingdom of Thror (Thorin's grandpa) before the attack of Smaug, the Terrible. We would see a young Thorin (again) a young Balin and a baby Dwalin (yeah!). We also would see Dis and, probaly, Frerin.

The prologue would show the sickness of Thror, and Thorin living with it.

AMAZING Cool

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 10 2015, 4:00pm

Post #2 of 12 (1745 views)
Shortcut
I would have loved... [In reply to] Can't Post

... flashbacks to the Blue Mountains before the journey or preperations or whatnot. Would have been cool to see Dis, but that wont happen, but still a scene like that would still work with characters from the Company.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 10 2015, 4:04pm

Post #3 of 12 (1742 views)
Shortcut
Nah [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't want any babies, screaming brats or wives, thank you very much…Angelic

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 10 2015, 4:35pm

Post #4 of 12 (1706 views)
Shortcut
Don't expect one [In reply to] Can't Post

Not with that cliffhanger. We already saw all of pre-Smaug Erebor needed. The ONLY prologue I'd be interested in is the meeting in Erid Luin between Thorin and Dain. Okay, I know it was his representative, but we need MORE DAIN!!!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 10 2015, 6:36pm

Post #5 of 12 (1614 views)
Shortcut
probably not [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel like we would have gotten one already if there was ever a prologue planned. Like a lot of people have said, I think showing the meeting with Thorin and Dain would be great. But there's nothing to suggest that that was ever shot.

I've heard rumors that there was a rough version of a White Council related prologue shown during that early fan screening, but I really doubt that it's true.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 10 2015, 6:55pm

Post #6 of 12 (1598 views)
Shortcut
Baby Dwalin? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think we'll get a prologue in the extended edition of TH:BotFA. There just isn't enough reason for one.

According to the background materials for the films, Dwalin is actually supposed to be a little older than Thorin, so even if we did get another flashback to the reign of Thror, I don't think we would see Balin's little brother as a baby (as opposed to the book-canon, where Dwalin wasn't even born yet when Smaug drove Durin's Folk from Erebor). In fact, we see Dwalin at the Battle of Moria, sporting a Mohawk.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 10 2015, 6:58pm)

tsmith675
Gondor

Jun 10 2015, 8:52pm

Post #7 of 12 (1501 views)
Shortcut
When it was originally 2 films... [In reply to] Can't Post

What would have been the prologue for the 2nd film? Surely they had one planned then. But maybe they were just going to jump into the 2nd film with no prologue, but I highly doubt that.

Legomir
Rivendell

Jun 11 2015, 3:08am

Post #8 of 12 (1332 views)
Shortcut
In the DOS Commentary, [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe Peter Jackson says that the plan was for the second film to open up with the company traveling on the Long Lake, presumably with the "Never go east" scene. I could be wrong, but I think he implies that there was no prologue.

Dipling
Lorien

Jun 11 2015, 6:23am

Post #9 of 12 (1282 views)
Shortcut
Gor fot it... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am for the flashback prologue.

If you watch just the third movie, it is odd to open directly into action. And you don't know what's going on.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Jun 11 2015, 11:48am

Post #10 of 12 (1174 views)
Shortcut
I don't think... [In reply to] Can't Post

there will be a prologue. Though there is always the possibility, especially since the other five films all had prologues...still I would not hope for it. However if there is, I would prefer to see this...

flashbacks to the Blue Mountains before the journey or preperations or whatnot. Would have been cool to see Dis, but that wont happen, but still a scene like that would still work with characters from the Company.

RA once said that Thorin was hesitant about bringing his nephews along because he knew of the danger within the Mountain. (Guessing this was one of many moments filmed that did not make the cut). A moment in Ered Luin reflecting this would be interesting...especially knowing how the story ends.

Jeffrodo
Bree

Jun 11 2015, 4:06pm

Post #11 of 12 (1056 views)
Shortcut
I'd love a prologue! [In reply to] Can't Post

Would be amazing to see Thorin meeting with Dain and company, being told they won't come. I think it would add emotional depth to the end of BOFA when Dain and the army appears.

Of course, if a prologue hasn't been filmed this is all a moot point. I'm still holding out hope that we'll see one.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 12 2015, 3:59pm

Post #12 of 12 (819 views)
Shortcut
I'd rather they used the extra EE time for the dwarves and the story [In reply to] Can't Post

The other prologues are great, and seeing the Blue Mountains would have been nice, but at this point I really just want to see more of my beloved dwarves, "one last time".

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.