Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Okay, how 'bout your LEAST favorite Thorin moment?

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 10 2015, 1:53pm

Post #1 of 17 (1213 views)
Shortcut
Okay, how 'bout your LEAST favorite Thorin moment? Can't Post

Yeah I know, this will be hard - especially for the fangirls, but there's got to be a FEW scenes out there somewhere!Tongue Here's what I came up with:

AUJ - The scene where Thorin glares at Bilbo as he runs up announcing "I signed it!" Not incredibly Majestic, IMO!

DOS - The way he tells Kili he's not going to Erebor, waiting until they're about to get on the boat, out in public, no real regard for his nephew's feelings, definitely a bad call there. Shame on you!Mad

BOT5A - Why? Why did you have to pull that sword away?Frown If you could flip Azog off of you then why didn't you do that BEFORE he stabbed you???Unsure

Well, that was another bad call, but I can't say it was my LEAST favorite - Richard played that part Sooooo Majestically!

*Sigh!* Why, Thorin, WHY?????????

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 10 2015, 2:44pm

Post #2 of 17 (1119 views)
Shortcut
Hey, I made a thread about it, but, forget it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, he is superb. Richard Armitage is fantastic. But, I miss a little beard...

I love too the scene when he is speaking to his nephews on Lake Town... I think is the only moment on the trilogy when one of him nephews calls he as uncle

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 10 2015, 3:04pm

Post #3 of 17 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Well, yours was Most favorite, I believe [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'm pretty sure I posted on it - I'm SUCH a fangirl!

'nuff said!EvilHeartHeartHeart

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jun 10 2015, 3:08pm

Post #4 of 17 (1106 views)
Shortcut
The worst for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Where he gives up the entire team to the trolls because they caught Bilbo. So then all of them are going to be eaten (including Bilbo), and while half of them are on a rotisserie, they are just (in their minds in the scene) sitting around watching their brothers be killed horribly and eaten with nonchalance.

I guess it's not Thorin's fault, just bad writing.
There were any number of possible ways to get to the point of them all being captured that didn't involve surrender of every single team member to certain death to only delay by minutes the death of the hobbit.

It's one thing to say "take me in exchange for him" but quite another to say "don't kill him now, kill all of us without a fight!"

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 10 2015, 3:19pm

Post #5 of 17 (1101 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

For me it's probably a toss up between Thorin getting real angry at Bilbo for falling off a crumbling ledge, and the faux angry make-up hug... Crazy

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 10 2015, 3:21pm

Post #6 of 17 (1096 views)
Shortcut
My english is bad, but my elvish is better! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry.

My LEAST favorite? okay...

Hmm... His death!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 10 2015, 3:26pm

Post #7 of 17 (1087 views)
Shortcut
So true... [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, it was well-acted, but NOOOOOOOOOO, I don't want it to happenPirate

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 10 2015, 3:26pm

Post #8 of 17 (1087 views)
Shortcut
Ah yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's right after the stone giants scene you're talking about that one I don't like either. I get it, Thorin's grumpy, rude and so far having a pretty awful day Laugh But after all that chaos of being tossed around it could have been anyone hanging off the edge there man. Getting angry at Bilbo for that just felt far too forced. Enough is enough already.

Most of his 'not doings' on Ravenhill. He's supposed to be an experienced warrior and it takes him someone to TELL him that it's a trap? Are you for real? I get it you guys want the durin trio to die, but at least try to make things work. That's one of the major reason why everything seemed to have just been given up by the writers by the time Ravenhill comes on.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 10 2015, 4:02pm

Post #9 of 17 (1064 views)
Shortcut
I ain't no fangirl, but just admire RA tremendously for his work [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with DainPig – my least favourite moment is Thorin's death. I honestly cannot think of any other.

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 10 2015, 4:49pm

Post #10 of 17 (1046 views)
Shortcut
In some times, he's SO IDIOT... [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure

(This post was edited by DainPig on Jun 10 2015, 4:50pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Jun 10 2015, 7:18pm

Post #11 of 17 (996 views)
Shortcut
Well, since this forum doesn't have the bumping feature... (alas!) // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 10 2015, 9:31pm

Post #12 of 17 (969 views)
Shortcut
All the stupid slow-motion dragon voice stuff... [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ's fault, not Armitage's, but the lack of subtlety in those parts and his stupid hallucination *cringe*

Also, this: https://youtu.be/sTl0nms_5ow

lionoferebor
Rohan

Jun 11 2015, 11:07am

Post #13 of 17 (880 views)
Shortcut
One word... [In reply to] Can't Post

wheelbarrow. Thorin II Oakenshield pushing a wheelbarrow through the forge in the midst of all that chaos. Though I have to hand to RA he still made it look majestic. Wink

(This post was edited by lionoferebor on Jun 11 2015, 11:14am)

lonelymountainhermit
Lorien

Jun 12 2015, 6:58pm

Post #14 of 17 (720 views)
Shortcut
agree [In reply to] Can't Post

That entire scene was silly, but the wheelbarrow took it to the next level. Then the thing with the melting statue.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 14 2015, 5:55pm

Post #15 of 17 (619 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* my least favorite is any Thorin-less scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

and of course the horrible experimental B-roll footage at the end of the BOFA TEFrown, but I understand that all of that was bought up by some avant garde film studio and will only ever be seen again in posterized black and white, re-edited with scenes of Bollywood dancers and dogs playing poker, set to Caribbean conga drums (the new film is called "kaos" and will part of next year's independent film festivals in major urban cities.Wink).

(Following images credited to "My KIng Thorin/Arkenstone site!!!!!)

Myself, *overwhelmed* by the combination of the sheer GLORY and FLAWLESSNESS and HEART of Richard Armitage's Thorin combined with a physical presence of haunting power and sorrow and stunning beauty and jaw-dropping coloring - why, I must needs disagree with some of my fellow postersCool.....

Just FABULOUS, IMOHeart. Loved the touch of wild hair across his cheek - and I have often thought that only someone of Richard Armitage's caliber could have pulled this off so successfully - not to mention, thanks to Richard's inherently spectacular coloring that the camera loves - well, if you are going to stick a camera in someone's face for close-ups that will be 30 feet high on an IMAX screen, this was the man to do it withHeartHeartHeart. Richard wasn't PAID ENOUGH. And just sayin' since the word "subtlety" IMO gets used a lot, possibly, since VM said his little piece and/or was misquotedUnsure, IMO only the most highly skilled could have pulled off what Richard did so effectively - the sane/un-sane/insane heartbreaking Thorin HeartHeartHeart

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I love, love the throne room scene - so trippy, IMO so effective, and once again, Richard does so much with just his eyesHeart.....

One of my favorite scenes!!!!HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart OMG, this one gets the REPLAY TongueTongueTongueTongueTongue IMO beautifully done, beautifully acted on both sides - one thing I really appreciate is the SUBTLETY WinkCoolAngelic of Richard's performance - because as Thorin, IMO Thorin's behavior is "off". I mean - we KNOW Thorin, right? He can be a lot of things, but the way this scene begins, he's rather snarky, almost sly - I can't find the right words. Mocking - but to me it's just not how Thorin would usually behave....more like a cobra than a lion, so hope that makes sense. Chilling, but seductive...and kudos to Luke Evans' Bard as well. HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart And oh, yeah, flawless voice work.......

I mean, just LOOK at the man dwarf...as is so often marveled around the world......

"Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass." - Den of Geek, The Hobbit: There & Back Again

Least favorite Thorin scene? Well, it's the ones that we never saw, of course!LaughLaughLaugh "Everything I did, I did for them..." and of course Thorin's coronation sceneWink, and giving back Thranduil the white gems......WinkWinkWinkWinkWink

Finally, I suspect few could make pushing a wheelbarrow or getting covered with fish #MAJESTICCoolHeartTongue

The Mountain King is a GAWD.CoolHeartHeartHeart

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Jun 14 2015, 7:20pm

Post #16 of 17 (603 views)
Shortcut
Least favorite... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is when Thorin screams "Kili!" in the stone giants scene, when it's FILI who's over there. (I know it's an error, but it really put me off Thorin for the rest of the trilogy. They could have easily corrected that).

Intentional scene, I'd say when he calls Fili a fool for staying with his brother.
At that point, Thorin clearly cares more about gold than his nephews. He could only wish he had as much honor as Fili.

Also, when he tries to toss Bilbo over the wall and pushes Fili around. I'll cut him a little bit of slack because of the dragon sickness, but just a little.

Morwenn
The Shire

Jun 18 2015, 3:54pm

Post #17 of 17 (506 views)
Shortcut
putting his sword on the ground with the pointy end first [In reply to] Can't Post

I hate it when Thorin puts his sword down on the ground with the pointy end first and leaning on it. As if it was a walking stick. He does it in AUJ when Bilbo appears again from behind the tree taking the ring off. It even makes a noise. But he does it several times, in DOS too.
He is holding a sharpened sword, in one case even an elvish blade. It has been sharpened with much work and care. It needs to stay sharp. Putting it down like that will ruin it!!!
It makes it so obviously a prop and gives the impression that he knows nothing about weapons whatsoever. THE KING OF THE DWARVES mind you.
Well I guess this is rather critizing RA or PJ or whoever didn't spot this. Why did they let him do that??

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.