The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
My "Middle-earth" roses

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 8 2015, 9:11pm

Post #1 of 5 (795 views)
Shortcut
My "Middle-earth" roses Can't Post

Some roses that I planted last summer - These are all mini-roses around my birdbath with names that remind me of Middle-earth (sorry about the wonky color - my old camera has stopped doing red and pink very well. Time for a new one, I guess):

Fireworks

Gemstone

Smokerings

Sweet Fairy

Twilight Dream

Sorcerer

Magic Dragon

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 9 2015, 1:17pm

Post #2 of 5 (777 views)
Shortcut
Magic Dragon rose? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got 3 Pink Knockout rose bushes and they're gigantic - really got to cut them back this year. But seriously, there's a "Magic Dragon" rose? Awesome!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 9 2015, 1:27pm

Post #3 of 5 (774 views)
Shortcut
Better yet, there's a Dwarf King mini rose (Zwergkonig) [In reply to] Can't Post

But the only place I can find it online is in Germany, where it seems to be very popular. If I ever find a supplier here in the U.S. I'll add it to my garden for sure!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 9 2015, 2:23pm

Post #4 of 5 (773 views)
Shortcut
Lovely Elarie! [In reply to] Can't Post

I only grow Rosa rugosa - I haven't had much luck with the really nice hybridized roses, but I can see you have the touch. Thanks for posting the pics! Some time this week I want to start a 'what are you growing' thread on OT - you should chime in!

Awesome! Cool

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 9 2015, 4:16pm

Post #5 of 5 (766 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! And I agree - rugosas are awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I mostly started with years ago and then finally got brave lately and started experimenting with others. But I haven't given up rugosas completely - I just planted my first Hansa this year and naturally it's doing great with absolutely no care except a little fertilizer. I do love those hardy, carefree rugosas, but I admit my fantasy is a sunny hillside in the country covered with Bourbon and Damask roses in late May and early June, with the fragrance just permeating the air. Sigh... But I'm pretty lucky - I live only a few miles from the Columbus Park of Roses, so that's a beautiful place to go walk at this time of year.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.