Violence in Books, TV and Movies
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 10 2015, 7:43pm

Post #26 of 35 (264 views)
Shortcut
Book [In reply to] Can't Post

Circumstances and lead up should be very different in the book, though.

However, it is not like I am more pleased with the books either... GRRM Twitter shortly after the episode aired could be interpreted as disapproval though. Anyway, after what the books have become I can't really care about his opinion anyway.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

macfalk
Valinor

Jun 10 2015, 7:47pm

Post #27 of 35 (263 views)
Shortcut
We'll see [In reply to] Can't Post

The show is basically 50% D&D fanfic these days, anything could happen in the bookverse.

I strongly disagree that this was a jump the shark moment - it was a very important scene for all the characters in that storyline. A character defining scene for Stannis, whether we liked it or not.

But it did leave me with a bad taste in my mouth. The previous lovable scenes with Shireen seem kind of manipulative now in hindsight, which is somewhat annoying. Especially that perfect Stannis/Shireen scene from episode 4.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 10 2015, 7:58pm

Post #28 of 35 (262 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, don't feel bad [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of people don't like shows and movies I like, and have seemed happy to tell me so.

Laugh

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 10 2015, 8:06pm

Post #29 of 35 (262 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to have more tolerance for mayhem in various media. That is until I started working with people suffering the fallout from bad decisions and behaviour, whether theirs or someone elses.

smtfhw
Lorien

Jun 12 2015, 11:27am

Post #30 of 35 (226 views)
Shortcut
A bit late to this... [In reply to] Can't Post

Stannis Baratheon is a man who send a shadow demon to murder his own brother. He has had his followers burned to death because they either refused to reject the Gods they and their fathers have long worshiped, or because they spoke ill of the Red Priestess Melisandre (who dubbed them "servants of darkness"). He wanted to burn his own nephew (even worse in the book, as he had a more personal connection with the young Edric Storm).

But I agree with you absolutely. This was always going to happen and it's been signalled from a very long way back.

As to how good the books are (or are not), in some respects it's hard to judge yet. I rattled through the first three and loved them, struggled a bit with the 4th and spent a lot of the 5th muttering words to the effect of "where is he going with this", or "stop with the endless food descriptions" or even "does he actually know where he's going with this or has he completely and literally lost the plot?" I would like to be able to read the completed work (please?) before I judge whether I do think it's a classic or not.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jun 13 2015, 5:08pm

Post #31 of 35 (202 views)
Shortcut
agree [In reply to] Can't Post

LotM was enjoyed on the big screen by my Deaf friends... proof that the storytelling was good enough to mostly function without sound.

I totally loved the film, and it walked that fine line.

I can't deal with certain stories because of the violence. Now, a basic action film, fine, that's usually broad comic book style action overlaid on a mythic story. When comic book films get too dark and gritty I lose all interest, Done with the Apocalypse, thank you very much.

Hunger Games is an intelligent story about something... unlike so much YA (we won't mention vampires) crappola. It's still at the edge of my tolerance for grim and dark. The violence is within the purpose of the story.

I tried to watch Supernatural online for a month or so... I don't really do horror, but it has great characters and a sense of adventure... then it just got too... just too... nope. can't. Train to Nopeville.

I am what Elaine Aron, in her book the Highly Sensitive Person, calls HSP. that's about 15 - 20% of us... well, more on this site I have no doubt.

And don't you dare post videos about abused animals on my facebook (even when your purpose is to raise awareness and get funds for rescues)... Nopenopenopity nope nope nope. Just tell me some rescue needs funds or let us all know that such and such happens and we need to stop it. I'm too visual. And I have nightmares.

I can't even begin to think about watching GoT.

I'm more like Marvel and Pixar....

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

JARVIS is my copilot, and it's bigger on the inside...

glor
Rohan

Jun 13 2015, 11:52pm

Post #32 of 35 (201 views)
Shortcut
Don't go ( I did not mean to offend) [In reply to] Can't Post

I did say that history, mythology and Shakespeare contains violence far worse than that portrayed in GOT. Just a few years ago The Globe theatre performed Titus Andronicus, as written, not the sanitised Victorian version, that caused theatre goers to faint and even vomit over the brutal scenes.

It is interesting to note that when it comes to the classics of literature, an awful lot of what the general public thinks of in this regard, are actually heavily edited sanitised versions, generated by the Victorians for their own sensibilities.

GOT is a high profile TV show, there is an awful lot written about the show across all forms of media and a lot of that writing focuses on the violence and sexual content of the show. As someone who watches GOT and enjoys it, do you think that the attention focused is disproportionate to the actual sexual and violent content in GOT, that the attention it gets magnifies it out all proportion?

Do you think that colours their opinion of what they are watching? (I wonder of it is influencing my opinion of the violence and sex in the show as cheap, this side of GOT has been hyped heavily on this side of the pond, it was the flagship show for Murdochs, SKy Atlantic channel)

I for one, think that film and TV should show brutality when necessary although I concede, it is a difficult balancing act that can easily turn into salaciousness.

Sometimes scenes need and should make the audience feel uncomfortable, thee is nothing wrong with challenging the audience.

No mascara can survive BOTFA

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jun 14 2015, 12:22am

Post #33 of 35 (202 views)
Shortcut
Don't feel the need to apologize... [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone's entitled to their opinion (there's certainly things that people rave about that I can't stand Tongue). I may have overreacted (more on why that might be below).

But in answer to your query regarding the attention Game of Thrones gets for its violence/sexual content, in all honesty - yes, I do believe it is magnified out of proportion. Now that doesn't mean that I think people shouldn't object to it if they find such things too much for their liking, or even stop watching for that very reason. However, it's obvious to me that this year, more than ever, the "controversies" have swallowed discussions of the actual show.

And, honestly, that really bothers me. As someone who came to the show knowing what kind of horrors the story presents, I'd much rather see discussions taking place regarding the story points, characters, etc. This has been one of my favorite seasons of the show (albeit the darkest), and it would be great to discuss different elements of the season with others in various areas of the internet.

But it just seems like every article is all about "has the show gone too far", "Game of Thrones hates women" (ugh), etc. And, for the record, things like this have been popping up since "Baelor", the penultimate episode of season one. It's just that, as the show has grown more and more popular, these objections seem to get louder and louder.

It's actually caused me to reevaluate my use of the internet during tv show seasons. It occurred to me, at some point in the past couple weeks, that I've enjoyed most tv show seasons more when viewed in a vaccuum, away from the clamor of media attention, uproar over controversial storylines, etc - as opposed to weekly viewings, being dissected by online reviewers and message board users. It's just more enjoyable when the latter doesn't impose on my own perception of the story. Things just get too negative, in general, regardless of what show we're talking about (point in fact, I enjoyed watching the first half of Outlander's first season more than the second half, despite no noticeable drop in quality - but I watched the first half in marathon viewings, without stopping to see what others thought of it).

Having said that, this forum remains one of the few safe havens on the internet, where intelligent and varied discussion can still be had in a calm and respectful manner. I love talking to you guys about stuff, even when I strongly disagree. I rather wish the rest of the internet could take note from this community.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jun 14 2015, 12:26am)

Annael
Immortal

Jun 14 2015, 3:15am

Post #34 of 35 (179 views)
Shortcut
could be [In reply to] Can't Post

I worked in medicine for several years, both clinics and hospital. I've seen plenty of gruesome in real life; don't need to go looking for it in my "entertainment."

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

glor
Rohan

Jun 15 2015, 12:04am

Post #35 of 35 (163 views)
Shortcut
They are missing the point though [In reply to] Can't Post

But it just seems like every article is all about "has the show gone too far", "Game of Thrones hates women" (ugh), etc. And, for the record, things like this have been popping up since "Baelor", the penultimate episode of season one. It's just that, as the show has grown more and more popular, these objections seem to get louder and louder.

Despite my dislike of the show, GOT is based on medieval ways of thinking and behaving, women were chattel, brutality was a valid form of governance and commonplace, anyone who has read a decent history book on medieval social history will be aware that what GOT shows is in fact medieval light.

Someone has suggested I would enjoy the books, because Martin unlike most fantasy writers does not shy away from the brutality of the past.

However, as someone who does not watch the show or read about it on the web, just old fashioned print media (mostly British broadsheets)m there is an awful lot of marketing of the show, dare I say hype, that focuses on the sexual and violent content because there is an audience for that. It's like the Murdoch machine has decided to market GOT to the Saw and Hostel franchise audience.

Has the show gone too far is I am sorry to say, a marketing ploy, people will stream it and get subscriptions based on such hype, unfortunately. It's one of the problems that flagship shows on subscription channels face, the publicity machine is less interested in the show and more interested in using it to pull in paying subscribers.

Look at AMC, different approach, because as a free to air channel, a popular talked about show brings in advertisers but, go to far, magnify the violence or sexual content via the publicity machine and, advertisers get jumpy and pull their money away.

It seems to me that GOT is a subscription victim of its own success.

No mascara can survive BOTFA

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.