geordie
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2015, 7:41pm

Post #1 of 9 (892 views)
Shortcut
Record price for a copy of The Hobbit - Can't Post

Not sure whether this has been mentioned here before -

http://www.theguardian.com/...doubles-sales-record

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jun 7 2015, 10:24pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2015, 8:59pm

Post #2 of 9 (848 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess whoever bought it must have thought that inscription inside was worth the money!

Lord I give you everything, Anything you want from me
Take my past and my future I lay it at your feet
Yeah, I'm after your heart, you've stolen mine
I give you my all 'cause you gave up your life
I'm not who I was simply because, Oh, you set me free

And you change me from what I used to be
Opened my eyes, now I can see
You're making this life so beautiful
So beautiful

~"Beautiful" by Dan Bremnes

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 7 2015, 10:59pm

Post #3 of 9 (840 views)
Shortcut
$$$ WOW! That's over 200,000 American Greenbacks folks. $$$ [In reply to] Can't Post

I reckon it's not a "reading" copy of The Hobbit.... WinkWink

squire
Half-elven

Jun 8 2015, 12:53am

Post #4 of 9 (835 views)
Shortcut
Neat inscription. [In reply to] Can't Post

Cute that the inscription, unlike in Tolkien's original from his Lost Road, brings in the word "eorclanstanas" (precious stones, in the translation given in the article). Sounds like Arkenstone to us laymen.

I think Tolkien was congenitally fond of in-jokes.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

lonelymountainhermit
Lorien

Jun 8 2015, 2:01am

Post #5 of 9 (828 views)
Shortcut
seriously [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I would feel comfortable even handling it all. :) It must have really been amazing to have been around when you could write a letter and receive a reply from the man himself.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jun 8 2015, 5:48pm

Post #6 of 9 (797 views)
Shortcut
I've seen and handled a signed copy [In reply to] Can't Post

- it belonged to Elaine Griffiths, the lady who suggested to a friend that she ask to see the manuscript of TH. That friend was Susan Dagnell, who worked for Allen & Unwin. The rest is history.

I saw the book on a viewing day at Bonham's, the London auction house. An assistant brought it over to our table; I examined the dustwrapper then removed it and checked the cloth covers - all lovely! There was an inscription on the fly-leaf; 'To Elaine Griffiths from JRR Tolkien'.

The auction was held a couple of days later; it sold for £60,000.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 12 2015, 4:18pm

Post #7 of 9 (734 views)
Shortcut
We had a first edition [In reply to] Can't Post

at the library where I work... in the secure section. It was stolen back in 2001. I used to go and visit all the time. And NO... I wasn't the culprit, though I'll admit to lusting after it!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 12 2015, 6:19pm

Post #8 of 9 (735 views)
Shortcut
Unique.... and extraordinary.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope someone, somewhere, someone very careful with clean hands and no coffee, tea or other refreshments nearby, gets to read it. For why? After all, the text is the text is the text... But I think there's something rather sad about a book that's too precious to read...

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jun 22 2015, 9:57pm

Post #9 of 9 (604 views)
Shortcut
The dustwrapper - [In reply to] Can't Post

I notice there's a nice photo of the book's dustwrapper in the article on Torn's main page. Fun fact - the runes reading clockwise from the bottom left run:

'THE HOBBIT OR THERE AND BACK AGAIN BEING RECORD OF A YEARS JOURNEY MADE BY BILBO BAGGINS OF HOBBITON COMPILED FROM HIS MEMOIRS BY JRR TOLKIEN AND PUBLISHED BY GEORGE ALLEN AND UNWIN LTD'.

Interestingly, Houghton Mifflin used a different dustwrapper design for the US 1st edition, but they used this design for their 2nd edition, first published in 1951. You see the problem? Yes; it was not till 1964 or 1965 that a reader pointed out that the US edition said it was published by the UK publishers. The wrapper was corrected by the 20th printing. (see Hammond and Anderson).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.