The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Two to Three

lionoferebor
Rohan

Jun 6 2015, 3:07pm

Post #1 of 10 (691 views)
Shortcut
Two to Three Can't Post

It's common knowledge The Hobbit orginially started out as two films that eventually merged into three, but when did this happen? Was it during or after the days of del Toro? I think it was after...but I could be wrong. If it was indeed after, how long after? Also was it before or after filming was complete (not counting pick ups)?

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2015, 4:23pm

Post #2 of 10 (626 views)
Shortcut
After, I believe [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure how long after, though. Hopefully someone else will come along who can shed light on this.

Lord I give you everything, Anything you want from me
Take my past and my future I lay it at your feet
Yeah, I'm after your heart, you've stolen mine
I give you my all 'cause you gave up your life
I'm not who I was simply because, Oh, you set me free

And you change me from what I used to be
Opened my eyes, now I can see
You're making this life so beautiful
So beautiful

~"Beautiful" by Dan Bremnes

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2015, 7:29pm

Post #3 of 10 (570 views)
Shortcut
Off the top of my head... [In reply to] Can't Post

When the project was first announced (with GdT directing and PJ producing) it was going to be two films - 1 HOBBIT and 1 bridge film (see EMPIRE interview with both guys May 2009). Yet by a follow-up interview in June 2009 the team had decided they would spread HOBBIT story over 2 films and ditch the "bridge film" idea.
GDT left in May 2010... It was not until SDCC July 2012, 5 months before the release of AUJ, that PJ announced he was going to make a. 3rd HOBBIT movie.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Jun 6 2015, 7:35pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 6 2015, 8:58pm

Post #4 of 10 (536 views)
Shortcut
Yup. [In reply to] Can't Post

Rumours of a third Hobbit movie began during San Diego Comic Con 2012.

The rumours continued throughout July.

Peter Jackson confirmed via Facebook that two films had become three on 30th July 2012.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2015, 9:49pm

Post #5 of 10 (511 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, that first EMPIRE interview date should have read MARCH 2009, not May... // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Jun 6 2015, 9:52pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 7 2015, 5:31am

Post #6 of 10 (448 views)
Shortcut
Definitely after del Toro left. [In reply to] Can't Post

What happened under del Toro's watch was the transition from a two-film structure, where one movie would adapt the book and the second would be a 'bridge film' connecting The Hobbit to The Lord of the Rings, to the idea of a two-part adaptation.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

lionoferebor
Rohan

Jun 7 2015, 5:47am

Post #7 of 10 (444 views)
Shortcut
Another question... [In reply to] Can't Post

was a script for the two-film version ever written? It was suggested by someone else on another thread that the two-film version of the script never existed, but it would seem they would need a script - or at least an outline of the script - to pitch it to the studios.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2015, 6:02am

Post #8 of 10 (435 views)
Shortcut
It had to have existed, [In reply to] Can't Post

because the change to 3 movies wasn't announced until after Principal Photography had finished, as I mentioned above. Unless of course the decision had been made much , much earlier without being made public. But apparently the subsequent pick-up filming was altered to allow the script to be re-written and new scenes were filmed to adapt the existing 2 movie structure to 3. Besides, as I also posted last week in another thread, Jackson said in an interview last December that he had rewritten del Toro's script because he couldn't work with someone else's script, (no matter that it was something he had written himself in the first place!)

¯ Victoria Monfort

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 7 2015, 6:34am

Post #9 of 10 (420 views)
Shortcut
Of course it was. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit was shot during principle photography as two films. It was never technically even written as three films. They just spread the existing material from the two scripts over three films in the editing room and then wrote additional material to fill in the gaps and flesh out everyone's favorite characters: Legolas, Tauriel, and Alfrid.Tongue

lionoferebor
Rohan

Jun 7 2015, 6:42am

Post #10 of 10 (417 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...flesh out everyone's favorite characters: Legolas, Tauriel, and Alfrid.Tongue

Thank you! I needed that. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.