Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
If it's called "Dragon Sickness", so why Thorin's grandfather catch it?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 6 2015, 8:54pm

Post #1 of 35 (1943 views)
Shortcut
If it's called "Dragon Sickness", so why Thorin's grandfather catch it? Can't Post

In a scene of TBOTFA, Balin says to Bilbo: "Dragon sickness, i've seen it before. It happened with his grandfather."

The sickness should be called "Thror sickness" or "Gold Sickness".

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

(This post was edited by DainPig on Jun 6 2015, 8:57pm)

Bofur01
Lorien

Jun 6 2015, 9:02pm

Post #2 of 35 (1853 views)
Shortcut
It's not that it's caused by the dragon... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's called that because it causes one to desire gold, as much as a dragon.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jun 6 2015, 9:04pm

Post #3 of 35 (1842 views)
Shortcut
When Thror [In reply to] Can't Post

had it it was not named Dragon Sickness but after Smaug have bin there it new name is Dragon Sickness. It had no name before that.

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 6 2015, 9:13pm

Post #4 of 35 (1835 views)
Shortcut
Didn't Thror's greed come after he found the Arkenstone? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if the Arkenstone causes the illness and Dain doesn't get it because Arkenstone gets buried with Thorin.

In the book Thror's greed comes from his ring of power. The only mention of dragon-sickness is when the Master takes his share of the gold and runs away with it.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 6 2015, 10:11pm

Post #5 of 35 (1806 views)
Shortcut
Gold Sickness? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought there were perhaps a difference between gold sickness and dragon sickness?
Thror had gold sickness? Smaug too I assume because shiny things and dragons = sick dude.

And after dragon has rolled around in it for how many years it'll eventually.. I don't actually know. Laugh

Is there a difference between gold sickness or dragon sickness or just different names to it?

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jun 6 2015, 10:15pm

Post #6 of 35 (1807 views)
Shortcut
But... [In reply to] Can't Post

Then Bilbo should have had the sickness and Thorin should have been symptom-free when Bilbo took it away from the mountain.

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 6 2015, 10:37pm

Post #7 of 35 (1801 views)
Shortcut
It has nothing to do with Smaug in person (or in dragon)... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's about having the same attitude to treasure as a dragon - any dragon. The desire to possess the treasure for its own sake, not for use.

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 6 2015, 10:37pm

Post #8 of 35 (1800 views)
Shortcut
No, because hobbits are resilient... [In reply to] Can't Post

And the Arkenstone was driving Thorin mad because it was rightfully his - Smaug says the Arkenstone would drive him mad and Balin says that possessing it would make him worse.

Bard on the other-hand should have been affected. Hmm...

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 6 2015, 10:44pm

Post #9 of 35 (1796 views)
Shortcut
Just different names, I think.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But there's a difference shown between two forms of greed. Smaug being a dragon is drawn to the treasure in the Mountain and wants to possess it. It's no use to him. He can't eat it or go out and spend it, he just wants it and he won't part with a single piece. Thror and Thorin were affected by the hoard in the same way - hence 'dragon sickness'.

Like him or hate him, Alfrid in the film has a different type of greed. when he takes the money he's thinking of what he can do with it. The suggestion is that if he can get away he'll use it to set himself up somewhere.

Bladerunner
Gondor

Jun 6 2015, 10:51pm

Post #10 of 35 (1795 views)
Shortcut
Dragon-Sickness is an effect caused by gold that has been long possessed by a dragon... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Encyclopedia of Arda provides a very good summary: http://www.glyphweb.com/.../dragonsickness.html

(This post was edited by Bladerunner on Jun 6 2015, 10:52pm)

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jun 6 2015, 11:29pm

Post #11 of 35 (1784 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it only works on dwarves. Wink

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

lionoferebor
Rohan

Jun 7 2015, 12:57am

Post #12 of 35 (1760 views)
Shortcut
Exactly... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's called that because it causes one to desire gold, as much as a dragon.

and Bilbo hints at this in the prologue of AUJ when he says, "...a dragon covets gold with a dark and fierce desire."

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 7 2015, 1:05am

Post #13 of 35 (1754 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

But not everything has to be taken that literally...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 7 2015, 5:23am

Post #14 of 35 (1714 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien coined the term 'dragon-sickness' [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson expanded the meaning of the term. The way Tolkien used dragon-sickness was to describe the curse laid on a treasure that has long been in a dragon's possession. Jackson provided a second definition of a dragon-like obsession with gold and treasure that does not require an actual dragon. However, we can speculate that Thror's greed was enhanced by his possession of one of the Seven Dwarf Rings.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 7 2015, 5:24am)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2015, 5:54am

Post #15 of 35 (1702 views)
Shortcut
Isn't the idea of greed/gold sickness more to do with a certain weakness of character? [In reply to] Can't Post

Leaving the Dwarf ring issue aside - Thorin had his father's ring anyway - the dragon sickness affected the Master because of his weak, greedy nature character, and Thorin because of his pride and also he coveted the Arkenstone above all the rest of the treasure, which is why Bilbo thought he could be persuaded to make a deal for it. Bilbo and Bard weren't affected because they were more selfless characters concerned with doing what was right and helping those in need.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 7 2015, 6:19am

Post #16 of 35 (1693 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the films this doesn't become an issue with the Master of Lake-town or Bard. Neither come into contact with the treasure, although we do know that the Master (an Alfrid) is an inherently greedy character.
By the way, Thorin never possessed Thrain's Ring; in the films and in the book it was taken after Thrain was captured. The Dwarf Ring ended up in the possession of Sauron.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jun 7 2015, 6:45am

Post #17 of 35 (1692 views)
Shortcut
In addition [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo and Bard weren't affected because they were more selfless characters concerned with doing what was right and helping those in need.

It may also have something to do with them being a hobbit and a human. As dwarves have a natural tendency to value precious metals and jewels with greater passion than other races, they were probably more vulnerable to gold sickness.

I see Thorin as someone who also cared greatly about others - mainly his own people, but he was concerned about their welfare and devoted his time in exile to improving the life of others. I think it was his dwarvish nature combined with the desire for the Arkenstone as the symbol for the king's status (and then the first glimpse of the treasury after Smaug's demise) that twisted his mind and eventually let gold sickness take hold.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2015, 6:49am

Post #18 of 35 (1688 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, just realized I missed out the word "never" in my sentence about Thorin and the Ring! [In reply to] Can't Post

Should proof read more diligently before posting!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 7 2015, 12:02pm

Post #19 of 35 (1642 views)
Shortcut
Greed is a character flaw that creates vulnerability... [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarves are naturally greedy, so this was magnified by the ring. Thror became unnaturally greedy because of his ring. Thrain became greedy after receiving the ring from Thror, and then went mad when the ring was forced from him. The Master was an inherently greedy man, so was more susceptible to "dragon sickness".

Thorin was not presented as insane or suffering from sickness in the books. That's a movie invention, he was just proud of his bloodline and, as a dwarf, had a fondness for treasure - This quest was important to Thorin on so many levels that when he got to the Mountain he did everything he could to preserve what he had gained.

That's what makes the book so much more powerful than the film. In the book Thorin's greed does not have a cause, it's just in his character, all the consequences are his fault, and he learns his mistake too late. In the film it's not really his fault, he's given an excuse by suffering from an (inherited?) 'illness', which diminishes his final words and makes it seem as though Thorin didn't really learn anything.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 7 2015, 2:02pm

Post #20 of 35 (1614 views)
Shortcut
I can't entirely agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thorin was not presented as insane or suffering from sickness in the books. That's a movie invention, he was just proud of his bloodline and, as a dwarf, had a fondness for treasure - This quest was important to Thorin on so many levels that when he got to the Mountain he did everything he could to preserve what he had gained.

The mere fact that Tolkien brings up the matter of dragon-sickness suggests that it might be a factor influencing Thorin's behavior. I'm not saying that it would have been the only or even chief one, but I do think that dragon-sickness was affecting Thorin even in the book.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jun 8 2015, 10:45am

Post #21 of 35 (1537 views)
Shortcut
I agree with your disagreement. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Bilbo kept his head more clear of the bewitchment of the hoard than the dwarves did"

and

"The enchanted desire of the hoard had fallen from Bilbo"

and especially

"But also he [Bilbo - in reference to Thorin] did not reckon with the power that gold has upon which a dragon has long brooded, nor with dwarvish hearts"

I think the notion that there is no suggestion of this in the text is a tricky one to argue.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 8 2015, 2:18pm

Post #22 of 35 (1509 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for those quotes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Those passages from Tolkien's texts do make the situation much more clear.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 8 2015, 3:09pm

Post #23 of 35 (1506 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

... and making it a mere "curse" really flattens Thorin as a character, imho.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 8 2015, 4:09pm

Post #24 of 35 (1501 views)
Shortcut
Blame Tolkien. [In reply to] Can't Post

Spriggan made the case that Tolkien actually did lay the ground-work for Thorin succumbing to dragon-sickness. That is not to say that the seeds were not already there within him. Of course they were.

...[Bilbo] did not reckon with the power that gold has upon which a dragon has long brooded, nor with dwarvish hearts. Long hours in the past days Thorin had spent in the treasury, and the lust of it was heavy upon him. Though he had hunted chiefly for the Arkenstone, yet he had an eye for many another wonderful thing that was lying there, about which were wound old memories of the labours and the sorrows of his race.

It seems to be that Jackson has this passage in mind when Bilbo greets Fili, Kili, Oin and Bofur upon their arrival at Erebor--and when Bard calls for a parley at the Front Gate.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 8 2015, 4:15pm

Post #25 of 35 (1493 views)
Shortcut
I don't like it whether book or not ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.