The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Fili and Kili father

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 6 2015, 12:12am

Post #1 of 16 (1768 views)
Shortcut
Fili and Kili father Can't Post

Who would be the father of Fili and Kili? He still alive during the quest of Erebor? Where's he? He's a dwarf???

Could he make a cameo in Battle of 5 armies ExEd?

The only thing I know about him is he hair color, Blonde Smile

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 6 2015, 2:22am

Post #2 of 16 (1697 views)
Shortcut
I did some research on this [In reply to] Can't Post

I wrote a fanfic about them - and according to some knowledgeable TORners, there is no information on him, not even a name. All we know from the Appendices is that Fili & Kili were born in Erid Luin. I assumed incorrectly that their father died in the battle of Moria, but even that's wrong. Everyone assumes he is dead because he's not there. We know Dis is still alive, well surely he would be mentioned if he were still alive. But granted, this is an assumption based on the fact that there is no info on their father. Others told me it would be highly unlikely that he just ran off, and Dwarves don't get divorces. And both Oin and Balin are pretty old, so age wouldn't have stopped him - so that leaves one alternative, he's dead.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 6 2015, 4:00am

Post #3 of 16 (1676 views)
Shortcut
dwarf [In reply to] Can't Post

Why wouldn't he be a dwarf...?Crazy

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Jun 6 2015, 5:28am

Post #4 of 16 (1652 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Because Kili and Fili don't really look much like the dwarves - actually, I'd say only Fili looks a wee bit like a dwarf.
Kili looks like a small human.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 6 2015, 6:45am

Post #5 of 16 (1632 views)
Shortcut
Blond male [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The only thing I know about him is he hair color, Blonde Smile

I do not think he will be seen at the battle, and have no wish to see him (there are many other things I'd like to see than the introduction of something like that).

His father's female mate would presumably be blonde.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 6 2015, 7:03am

Post #6 of 16 (1621 views)
Shortcut
i once read... [In reply to] Can't Post

On what I think was a wikipedia page (which I know are not trustworthy) that their father killed himself in grief after the loss of his sons. Leaving Dis behind.

In the movies they seem to go by the father having died in battle so therefore Thorin has become more of a father figure for the boys. The fandoms name for him seem to be Vili but this is completely made up for roleplayers and writers to have a name.

I always imagined Dis to be much like Thorin with dark hair (Kili) while the father was blond (Fili).
So really it seems like a character that just doesnt exist like Legolas' mother.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 6 2015, 2:01pm

Post #7 of 16 (1550 views)
Shortcut
That's just the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Because Kili and Fili don't really look much like the dwarves - actually, I'd say only Fili looks a wee bit like a dwarf.

The book describes all the dwarves as looking nearly identical except for different colored robes.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Jun 6 2015, 2:43pm

Post #8 of 16 (1527 views)
Shortcut
In reference to movie Kili... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

The book describes all the dwarves as looking nearly identical except for different colored robes.

his lack of a beard is probably the reason why he looks like "a small human" compared to the other Dwarves. I would guess five years or so before the quest Fili probably did not have much of beard either and he too probably looked like "a small human". So if movie Kili had lived eventually his beard would've grown in and in time he probably would've started to look more like a dwarf and less like "a small human".

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 7 2015, 12:25am

Post #9 of 16 (1454 views)
Shortcut
Kind of like this? [In reply to] Can't Post

You're welcomeCool

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 7 2015, 5:37am

Post #10 of 16 (1434 views)
Shortcut
Re: Fili & Kili's Father [In reply to] Can't Post

Dis probably wasn't old enough to marry (at around age 50) until after Durin's Folk resettled in the Blue Mountains. Her husband might have been one of Thorin's followers or he might even have been a Dwarf descended from one of the ancient cities of Belegost or Nogrod, which had been built in the Northern Ered Luin. But, if he had been at the Battle of Moria then he must have survived it to wed Dis in the Blue Mountains.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 7 2015, 5:38am)

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Jun 7 2015, 7:19am

Post #11 of 16 (1422 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf Women Are More Dwarfish Than Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

No - his lack of a beard is one of the reasons (even dwarf women have beards, what's stopping him?), but his features just aren't dwarvish at all. Closer to human, or even elvish. A normal, human-like nose rather than a big one, and - a problem that most of these dwarves seem to have - just a down-sized body. Not wide as I think a dwarf should be, so basically just a small version of a human. Makes me wonder what they were thinking... toss in a beardless dwarf male yet depict all dwarf women as having.. beards..

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Jun 7 2015, 7:21am

Post #12 of 16 (1421 views)
Shortcut
Still [In reply to] Can't Post

Well yes, but they still look like humans there, Kili especially.

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jun 7 2015, 7:00pm

Post #13 of 16 (1374 views)
Shortcut
A random thought on individuality [In reply to] Can't Post

just a down-sized body. Not wide as I think a dwarf should be, so basically just a small version of a human.

But humans come in many sizes. There are tall ones and short ones, slim ones and chubby ones, some are delicate while some are athletic and still others are muscular. Why would the dwarves have only one acceptable body type? Tongue

Poor Kíli, maybe not very well favored by his gene pool from a dwarvish POV - too slim, small nose, no proper beard. Not everyone can be as lucky as Glóin when it comes to looks. But who knows, maybe the dwarvish body only "fills up" properly after a certain age?

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 7 2015, 7:19pm

Post #14 of 16 (1370 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps exactly because whilst variation in body types may be common to humans... [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarves - and Elves, for that matter - are generally described by Tolkien as having a particular body shape that is characteristic of their race, even being one of the defining features?

(I know the Professor made exceptions with his Elves but they were extremely rare - Cirdan and Mahtan with beards - and in the case of Salgant being fat and cowardly, that almost certainly would have been scrapped if he'd gone back and reworked the early draft of the Fall of Gondolin in line with his later thinking on the Legendarium)

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jun 7 2015, 7:32pm

Post #15 of 16 (1366 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

I presume that must be correct. It must be explained in the Silmarillion which I have yet to read. Blush

In that case Kíli (as seen in the films) would not be a representative of an alternative dwarf body type, but an exception. (Not that I payed attention to that while watching.... And probably the many-layered jackets and tunics that the dwarves wear make them all seem slightly sturdier than they would appear in a lighter clothing.)

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 7 2015, 11:42pm

Post #16 of 16 (1344 views)
Shortcut
About Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
- a problem that most of these dwarves seem to have - just a down-sized body. Not wide as I think a dwarf should be, so basically just a small version of a human.

That was something they did though. That's why the actors wore fat suits and muscle suits as well as helmet like things under their wigs. To make them wider so they wouldn't be just small humans. They talk about that in the EE's.

Of course I agree about Kili though. The only prostetics he wears is the tip of his nose and a teeny tiny "helmet" to make his head a little bigger. Because they wanted him to be hot. I still buy him as short though and it doesn't bug me. I quite love every single one of the dwarves by now, but I can understand why people have issue with it.
I think Richard makes a believable dwarf and Dean too and both has little prostetics too. Though there's something more dwarvish about them than Kili. Even when Fili is less padded in BotfA.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.