Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Its the *I'm-a-few-days-late* WHAT have YOU been watching thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 5 2015, 4:28pm

Post #1 of 59 (1141 views)
Shortcut
Its the *I'm-a-few-days-late* WHAT have YOU been watching thread! Can't Post

I see the Outlander will be travelling to a new location next season! Any thoughts on that, Outlander fans? And does that mean Graham gets left behind or does he go along?

My usual shows weren't on this week - fundraising. In my immensely mature taste palate Disney's Gravity Falls has been my go-to show this week (hey, I had a backache...comfort TV! Right?!) I still have two movie passes in my bag...hmmm. They MAY get used for Jurassic World! I saw Jurassic Park with my BFF/her hubby and her little brother...we are considering re-creating that movie night. Cool Of course now there are a number of offspring to be considered! May be a big movie-night trip!

So - what have you all been watching?

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 5 2015, 5:03pm

Post #2 of 59 (981 views)
Shortcut
E.T. with my kids [In reply to] Can't Post

It had been years since I'd seen it. I'd forgotten - a bit - just how excellent a storyteller Steven Spielberg is. The story got sad, I cried, things got better, I cried some more... the emotional arc felt intrinsic to the story he was telling.

Beamer's verdict was a big thumbs-up; my Hobbit didn't like the pacing. Though I sometimes wonder if he prefers faster-paced movies because he's a softie and has a hard time admitting it.

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jun 5 2015, 5:33pm

Post #3 of 59 (986 views)
Shortcut
Wolf Hall [In reply to] Can't Post

Thought it was excellent - a well-known story from a point of view we don't often see. Mark Rylance was absolutely riveting and the rest of the cast was also fine. I thought it was very balanced and fair towards all sides - Thomas More is no saint to us Lutherans in spite of "A Man for All Seasons", and this miniseries shows why; Cromwell's own sins are not glossed over; and Anne Boleyn could be pettily cruel and possibly need not have died had she been as smart as Anne of Cleves and let Henry divorce her quietly. She should have learned from Katherine's mistake, especially since the clock was ticking even further along for him to produce a male heir by the time it became apparent that like Katherine before her, she was not going to give him a surviving legitimate son.
On a possibly related note, part of my formative art experience was access to New York's Frick Collection. It includes excellent Holbein portraits of Cromwell and More flanking a version of El Greco's St. Jerome. If you're a New Yorker (or tourist visiting us), they're definitely worth a look if you're interested in the miniseries or the era.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2015, 5:59pm

Post #4 of 59 (980 views)
Shortcut
Mad Max: Fury Road [In reply to] Can't Post

Took the g'son to see this, he was somewhat confused about the story but liked all the mayhem. I thought it was very well done and the cinematography was amazing. The attention was all on Furiosa rather than Max, which I gather upset a few people who wanted it to be "a man's movie", but I understand that Tom Hardy has signed on to do two more Max movies so I'm sure they'll get all that and more.

Also was pleased to see Billy Boyd on 'Motive' this week. As usual, did a great and emotional job as a husband who just lost his wife.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 5 2015, 7:25pm

Post #5 of 59 (958 views)
Shortcut
Agree with you about Wolf Hall... [In reply to] Can't Post

..and especially about Mark Rylance. I'd never heard of him before of seen him in anything but I thought he was superb in a very demanding role - mostly very low key and on screen most of the time, but it was hard to look away from him. I found Damian Lewis's Henry VIII a bit weedy, but I liked Wolsey very much.

I was very taken by the look of it too - all that candlelight and darkness.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 5 2015, 7:36pm

Post #6 of 59 (953 views)
Shortcut
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been looking forward to this so much, wondering how on earth they would manage it. (For anyone who doesn't know the book it's a huge tome in its own right, with 'footnotes' running right through which tell curiously little stories about an England in the past, full of magic. They give the sense that the story rests on a whole, vast history.)

Half way into the series I think they're managing very well. Nothing to represent the footnotes but the main story is good - weird, but good. The first two episodes were extremely close to the book; the third began to introduce more changes.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 5 2015, 10:14pm

Post #7 of 59 (936 views)
Shortcut
Mad Max: Fury Road [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that the visuals are amazing, but the story needs more than, "That was fun - let's turn around and do it all again". I found it tedious (with the exception of Nicholas Hoult, who was superb).

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 5 2015, 10:48pm

Post #8 of 59 (926 views)
Shortcut
San Andreas [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess it wouldn't be summer without a big silly Hollywood disaster movie, and since I'm a total sucker for big silly Hollywood disaster movies, I really enjoyed it. It's a by-the-numbers formula disaster flick with non-stop action, so if that's what you expect going in, you won't be disappointed. Personally, I thought the most exciting scene was the one at the very beginning, before the earthquake, where they were just establishing what the hero does for a living (rescue guy). It was actually pretty cool and tense, maybe because it was the most realistic.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Annael
Immortal

Jun 6 2015, 12:08am

Post #9 of 59 (913 views)
Shortcut
Bulldog Drummond [In reply to] Can't Post

TCM has been showing a bunch of 'Bulldog Drummond" movies from the 30s and 40s. These remind me a bit of "Doctor Who" in that the lead character is played by several different actors. Slight movies, plots are a bit unbelievable, but lots of fun.

I've also been watching baseball but the Mariners are disappointing me lately. At one point they got up to .500 in the stats and, as a friend said, everyone here got so excited: "Yay! We're mediocre!"

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2015, 12:25am

Post #10 of 59 (919 views)
Shortcut
I went back and watched a few of the Endeavour Series [In reply to] Can't Post

They started filming the new episodes just last month. Can't wait for those to come out; the last episode was as much of a cliffhanger as I have ever seen on a TV show. Grrrrrr Mad I hate cliffhangers. OK, I love cliffhangers but I hate cliffhangers. Smile

I still haven't seen The Avengers: Age of Ultron. I was excited about it because I loved the first one but then I heard about how they made Black Widow into a lovesick puppy and gave Hawkeye a family that he never had... kinda took the shine out of it. I was given a Regal Cinema gift card so maybe I'll use it for that before it goes out of the theatres.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Meneldor
Valinor

Jun 6 2015, 1:06am

Post #11 of 59 (914 views)
Shortcut
IMO, BW's character in Ultron [In reply to] Can't Post

got a bum wrap from the raging femine-ists. I didn't see a love-sick puppy, I saw character development. YMMV.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Annael
Immortal

Jun 6 2015, 2:03am

Post #12 of 59 (909 views)
Shortcut
me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I must say I'm conflicted about this generation of feminism, as someone who was very proudly part of the movement back in the 60s and 70s (I was one of the first women hired to be a firefighter by the US Forest Service, and I helped create and worked at freestanding women's clinics in both Olympia and Seattle). On the one hand I'm glad to see women reclaiming the title after the "I'm not a feminist but" attitude of the intervening decades, but having been taken to task for not being feminist enough by the more outspoken element today kinda chaps my hide. I recently stopped following a website I used to like, The Mary Sue, because they are now encouraging people to go after anyone who says anything that's not perfectly in line with what they consider to be right thinking. And that really bothers me because if feminism is about anything, it ought to be about allowing a diversity of voices.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2015, 2:04am

Post #13 of 59 (900 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm, I never saw either of my daughters as a raging feminists [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that is what you were talking about. She wants to be treated fairly and doesn't like it when characters aren't given the same kinds of story lines just because of their sex. I can't disagree with her. Comics do have issues with the way they portray women. It's getting better, but I don't think anyone would say that it's a place where you will find equality.

Joss Whedon does seem to have a bit of a two-note going on with his "strong female characters". I thought I saw a pattern way back in the Firefly/Buffy days but wasn't sure. I took her and her friends at their word since it fit with the pattern I'd already seen in his writing.

Like I said, I will probably see it. I'm just not as excited as I was, that's all.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Kim
Valinor

Jun 6 2015, 2:44am

Post #14 of 59 (898 views)
Shortcut
Games of Thrones and Hannibal [In reply to] Can't Post

GOT: that was an interesting episode, from Tyrion and Dany's conversations to the surprising ending. We've only got a few more episodes left, really curious to see how it'll end.

Hannibal: well, that was interesting! Last night's episode started off in a completely different place from where season 2 ended, and it came across almost like a feature film. Very intrigued, although there was at least one hiding-behind-the-hands moment. And one hilarious scene in the middle that was so unexpected. I'd read several articles leading up to the premiere, so had an idea how it would be, but there were still some very surprising moments.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 7 2015, 12:20am

Post #15 of 59 (821 views)
Shortcut
ET - goodness. Great you watched it with the kids. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Beamer's verdict was a big thumbs-up; my Hobbit didn't like the pacing. Though I sometimes wonder if he prefers faster-paced movies because he's a softie and has a hard time admitting it.

I agree with him! - that was a cover of mine too for a long time. Even now with real tearjerkers I am careful who I watch with.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 7 2015, 12:25am

Post #16 of 59 (839 views)
Shortcut
ALL of this! on Wolf Hall [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thought it was excellent - a well-known story from a point of view we don't often see. Mark Rylance was absolutely riveting and the rest of the cast was also fine. I thought it was very balanced and fair towards all sides - Thomas More is no saint to us Lutherans in spite of "A Man for All Seasons", and this miniseries shows why; Cromwell's own sins are not glossed over; and Anne Boleyn could be pettily cruel and possibly need not have died had she been as smart as Anne of Cleves and let Henry divorce her quietly. She should have learned from Katherine's mistake, especially since the clock was ticking even further along for him to produce a male heir by the time it became apparent that like Katherine before her, she was not going to give him a surviving legitimate son.

Absolutely true on Anne - she played a long and masterful game (both real history and show) and the payment for failure was a steep one. I did like the perspectives Wolf Hall gave us, and I too enjoyed Mark Rylance immensely. In addition, the mixed picture of Wolsey - more human then we usually see - was a nice touch in and of itself but it also gave a subtle depth to Cromwell and his choices after Wolsey is pulled down and dies.

On a possibly related note, part of my formative art experience was access to New York's Frick Collection. It includes excellent Holbein portraits of Cromwell and More flanking a version of El Greco's St. Jerome. If you're a New Yorker (or tourist visiting us), they're definitely worth a look if you're interested in the miniseries or the era.

Most definitely related! Wonderful. Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 7 2015, 12:26am

Post #17 of 59 (824 views)
Shortcut
Fury Road looked quite mayhemically (new word) brilliant in previews [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Took the g'son to see this, he was somewhat confused about the story but liked all the mayhem. I thought it was very well done and the cinematography was amazing. The attention was all on Furiosa rather than Max, which I gather upset a few people who wanted it to be "a man's movie", but I understand that Tom Hardy has signed on to do two more Max movies so I'm sure they'll get all that and more.

Also was pleased to see Billy Boyd on 'Motive' this week. As usual, did a great and emotional job as a husband who just lost his wife.

Wonderful to see Billy, always. Did you know he was in it or were you surprised?

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 7 2015, 12:30am

Post #18 of 59 (815 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, though I really enjoyed Damien [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
..and especially about Mark Rylance. I'd never heard of him before of seen him in anything but I thought he was superb in a very demanding role - mostly very low key and on screen most of the time, but it was hard to look away from him. I found Damian Lewis's Henry VIII a bit weedy, but I liked Wolsey very much.

I was very taken by the look of it too - all that candlelight and darkness.

as being both charming and highly dangerous as a person with immense power.

I loved the Wolsey they used here. As I said to Kelly above it dovetailed so nicely with giving Cromwell a still-distant yet somewhat decent (better then the real one) father-substitute to sort of honor, in his way, going forward.
Wolf Hall SPOILER below ::::
-
-
-
I loved Cromwell's concern at Anne's execution...when he gestures and whispers, 'Move your hand,' because he just wants it over and clean for her. Its not a huge heroism but the best under the circumstances. That feels real to me.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 7 2015, 12:32am

Post #19 of 59 (814 views)
Shortcut
Glad you finally are getitng to see J. Strange and Mr. Norrell [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've been looking forward to this so much, wondering how on earth they would manage it. (For anyone who doesn't know the book it's a huge tome in its own right, with 'footnotes' running right through which tell curiously little stories about an England in the past, full of magic. They give the sense that the story rests on a whole, vast history.)

Half way into the series I think they're managing very well. Nothing to represent the footnotes but the main story is good - weird, but good. The first two episodes were extremely close to the book; the third began to introduce more changes.

'Changes to the book'? Gasp.
*lights torch* Shall we riot? (I kid, I kid.)Laugh Nothing to see here.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 7 2015, 12:34am

Post #20 of 59 (816 views)
Shortcut
Oooh! Endeavor! [In reply to] Can't Post

Its lovely isn't it - that whole slice of filming. Its so rare to love every bit of a series so drawn out and with different casts. Heart When does it come out here?

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 7 2015, 12:35am

Post #21 of 59 (806 views)
Shortcut
*Snort* Too funny. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I've also been watching baseball but the Mariners are disappointing me lately. At one point they got up to .500 in the stats and, as a friend said, everyone here got so excited: "Yay! We're mediocre!"

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 7 2015, 12:35am

Post #22 of 59 (812 views)
Shortcut
Have to catch up to you on Hannibal. [In reply to] Can't Post

Has Richard shown up yet?

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 7 2015, 12:37am

Post #23 of 59 (811 views)
Shortcut
Ultron [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
got a bum wrap from the raging femine-ists. I didn't see a love-sick puppy, I saw character development. YMMV.

Maybe (prolly) I'm in the minority but that's something I saw in Tauriel too. I still need to try to get out to the movies. I have about 1,300 apples to bag so we shall see. Crazy

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 7 2015, 12:44am

Post #24 of 59 (809 views)
Shortcut
I am a secret Rock fan...confession... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
San Andreas I guess it wouldn't be summer without a big silly Hollywood disaster movie, and since I'm a total sucker for big silly Hollywood disaster movies, I really enjoyed it. It's a by-the-numbers formula disaster flick with non-stop action, so if that's what you expect going in, you won't be disappointed. Personally, I thought the most exciting scene was the one at the very beginning, before the earthquake, where they were just establishing what the hero does for a living (rescue guy). It was actually pretty cool and tense, maybe because it was the most realistic.

Because he played the Scorpion King and because he had the cajones to dress up in drag for the Kid's Choice Awards one year. Cool

It looked pretty freaky and with real earthquakes happening so often a rather scary herald.

Dwayne dressed as Miley (in Miley's saner days)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 7 2015, 1:14am

Post #25 of 59 (803 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry - it doesn't need to be a secret [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile I've only seen him in a couple things but he's very likable on screen, sort of charming. Maybe after San Andreas he'll be making more of the kinds of movies that I go see. And he's pretty cute, too! Wink

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.