Other (who?)
View Results (46 votes)

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 5 2015, 9:32am

Post #1 of 26 (3725 views)
Shortcut
Favorite LotR Horse? (movie/book) Can't Post

Me being a horse lover and enjoy LotR has much as I did a lot because of the animals too I just wanted to make this little poll.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jun 5 2015, 9:41am

Post #2 of 26 (3685 views)
Shortcut
Shadowfax! [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 5 2015, 2:47pm

Post #3 of 26 (3675 views)
Shortcut
Fatty Lumpkin and Panto Bill [In reply to] Can't Post

Book: Fatty Lumpkin, The Shadowfax of Ponies!

Movie: Panto Bill:

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 5 2015, 7:13pm

Post #4 of 26 (3651 views)
Shortcut
Brego // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 5 2015, 10:59pm

Post #5 of 26 (3632 views)
Shortcut
Shadowfax of course [In reply to] Can't Post

He lives in my garden:

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2015, 11:19pm

Post #6 of 26 (3624 views)
Shortcut
Other: Stybba! (and others) [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course you gotta love Bill the pony and Brego. Heart Shadowfax is great, but in the films, I preferred Asfaloth. Maybe it's because I found that chase scene especially compelling even though it's not canon. But Stybba, the pony Theoden lends Merry in ROTK, is my favorite. Love the idea of a shaggy little pony riding along with the great horses of Rohan. Plus I just love the name. Smile

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jun 5 2015, 11:20pm)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jun 5 2015, 11:21pm

Post #7 of 26 (3619 views)
Shortcut
Panto Bill...:D// [In reply to] Can't Post

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 6 2015, 3:20am

Post #8 of 26 (3610 views)
Shortcut
Sharp-ears, Wise-nose, and Bumpkin [In reply to] Can't Post

gotta be high on all lists. Wink
Ok, not really horses per se, but ponies. Tongue

All seriousness aside
I voted Shadowfax of course.

But Snowmane is up there. . . not because he caused the death of Theoden...

Faithfull servant yet masters bane,
Lightfoots foal crushed his brain.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 6 2015, 8:15am

Post #9 of 26 (3606 views)
Shortcut
Firefoot though [In reply to] Can't Post

How can you not love Firefoot? Laugh

I always had a soft spot for Eomer's steed. SO beautiful! Heart

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jun 8 2015, 6:13pm

Post #10 of 26 (3551 views)
Shortcut
horsies [In reply to] Can't Post

because Legolas made it look so cool... in the book, in 1978...

(me and Saraf)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jun 8 2015, 6:17pm

Post #11 of 26 (3552 views)
Shortcut
but wait, there's more [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a warm spot for little hairy ponies... this one cost me ten bucks, was mostly blind from cataracts, but was happy hangin out with his taller buddies, pulled a cart (though he only turned to the left), carried little kids and no few adults (here, Blenny, Medieval Faire re-enactor, after the wicked witch shrunk his (totally lookalike Belgian cross) warhorse...

Ponies rule. this one came with the oddball name of Knock'em Silly. he also carried a leggy kid in a horse show costume class, wearing a snorkel and covered in seaweed pulled from a friend's pond. the other horses in the show, for the rest of the day, kept browsing on the seaweed that had fallen off...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jun 8 2015, 6:21pm

Post #12 of 26 (3549 views)
Shortcut
niiiiiiice [In reply to] Can't Post

been having a strange affliction called faerie gardenitis...

Had to turn plastic bottles, ModPodge, sand and river rocks into faerie houses...

Of course all the neat Schleich, Safari and Papo faeries and their steeds went in the Norfolk Island potted Pine in the living room...

Yours looks like one of the more recent Schleichs....

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 8 2015, 8:51pm

Post #13 of 26 (3542 views)
Shortcut
Fatty Lumpkin [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a really fat squirrel in my backyard that I've named Fatty Lumpkin. (The skinny squirrel is Swishtail).

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 8 2015, 9:58pm

Post #14 of 26 (3534 views)
Shortcut
I've been raiding thrift shops [In reply to] Can't Post

and I've just posted some photos over in Fan Art of my sort-of Faery Garden. It's a section of my flowerbed planted in sedum, creeping phlox and other low-growing plants, with a bird bath in it and I've been adding little thrift shop finds to it, plus some animal figures from Target Smile I think you're right about Shadowfax being one of the Schleich horses - he matches the picture I found online.

And I'd love to see photos of your Faery Gardens.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 8 2015, 10:18pm

Post #15 of 26 (3534 views)
Shortcut
These pictures are great [In reply to] Can't Post

Your horse looks like he was a real sweetie and that pony is just too cute. How cool that he got a good home with you and was such a good companion. And those horse show costume contests for kids are hilarious; we used to go to them at the fairgrounds and some people just got so creative. Lots of fun.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2015, 1:30am

Post #16 of 26 (3528 views)
Shortcut
possibly the best horse costume [In reply to] Can't Post

(though my mustang mare and i actually won the class, with our chainmail and medievalness)

I ever saw was at the local mustang show... all adopted mustangs... one was a rocking horse... with actual rockers swinging on each side of the horse at knee level...

super

calm

horse

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2015, 1:32am

Post #17 of 26 (3527 views)
Shortcut
faerie gardens and stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

play with your toys....

http://www.swordwhale.com/miniature-worlds-model-horses-vintage-toys--action-figures.html

and turn your mathoms into faerie gardens...

http://www.swordwhale.com/faerie-gardens.html

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 9 2015, 1:40pm

Post #18 of 26 (3502 views)
Shortcut
Your faerie worlds are fantastic [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the pictures! And now I'm eye-balling my back yard in a whole new way! LOL! A perfect excuse for more thrift shopping. Smile

Beleg Strongbow Cuthalion
Bree

Jun 9 2015, 3:32pm

Post #19 of 26 (3493 views)
Shortcut
Can't pick [In reply to] Can't Post

between Shadowfax and Windfola. gotta love Shadowfax and same goes for Windfola.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2015, 5:21pm

Post #20 of 26 (3489 views)
Shortcut
reduce, reuse, recycle [In reply to] Can't Post

it's the Elvish way....

I just had this issue with a collection of collections, and just stuffing it all on a shelf is boring and doesn't honor the cool stuff you've collected.

I also have this issues with not being able to go out in the kayak or on a beach without coming back with buckets of pebbles, cobbles, sand and shells. And driftwood. And the stinky dead horseshoe crab (it dried out, eventually)(and we're talking something bigger than a breadbox).

So yeah, faerie houses, stepping stones, recycling ugly cabinets and shadowboxes into shell cabinets (turquoise and white do wonders).

I also see a lot of used Barbie dolls at yard sales. With a little imagination, they make nice larger faeries. If you are costume/sewing impaired, you can just hot glue stuff to them.

Misto
Lorien

Jun 12 2015, 11:50am

Post #21 of 26 (3394 views)
Shortcut
The lovely grey one [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know it had a name. But that's the horse which stuck out in the movies for me. That's more my kind of horse, I'm not into flashy white "Barbiehorse"-type horses like Shadowfax. But I guess that's because in real life my first question is "can it jump?" and the flashy moviehorses just can't (talking about serious sports, not the odd log out hacking, of course.
Anyway, I guess this must have been one of the extra's horses? I think it reappears in Faramir's charge. Or if it doesn't there's another one who looks a lot like this.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jun 13 2015, 5:36pm

Post #22 of 26 (3380 views)
Shortcut
grey horses [In reply to] Can't Post

prob my favorite color other than black

I think I know which one you mean... they look so fantastic when they're in that dappley grey stage....

ironically, the Barbiewhite horses are also grey, just older and whiter.

I did find a pic of a "roan silver dapple" which looks a lot like a young grey horse, though the genetics include nothing grey: bay, roan and silver genes. Silver affects the black pigment (google silver or silver dapple gene).

I'm now more of a hairy little pony person... and can it behave nicely on a trail? maybe mules are in my future...

page for pic here: http://indulgy.com/post/8jVU8tAjZ2/classics-shogun-roan-silver-dapple-bay-rock

(This post was edited by swordwhale on Jun 13 2015, 5:38pm)

Konrad S
Lorien

Jun 15 2015, 2:55pm

Post #23 of 26 (3356 views)
Shortcut
SnowMane [In reply to] Can't Post

joec_34
Rivendell

Jun 22 2015, 6:28pm

Post #24 of 26 (3319 views)
Shortcut
Topsy [In reply to] Can't Post

My sister's quarterhorse/pony mix died recently. This poll made me happy in light of that; perhaps Topsy is grazing with Bill the Pony.

Misto
Lorien

Jul 9 2015, 11:56am

Post #25 of 26 (3235 views)
Shortcut
On grey horses [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think I know which one you mean... they look so fantastic when they're in that dappley grey stage....

ironically, the Barbiewhite horses are also grey, just older and whiter.

Yet luckily, most greys never end up Barbiewhite. Not my colour, not at all. Wink
Besides all greys (no matter how white) seem to have a special "sleep with your head in the dirt the night before the show"-gene. Even the ones who are usually super tidy. Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.