The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell - And Beyond! Thursdays, June 4 AND 18

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 5 2015, 4:17am

Post #1 of 9 (959 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell - And Beyond! Thursdays, June 4 AND 18 Can't Post

Whew, I thought the end of the school year was hectic... Crazy But, hey, we're here, it's time to share how far in Middle Earth our Earthly activities have brought us, so

How are your walks through Middle Earth going?

My progress:
Miles covered (two weeks): 48
Cumulative miles: 411
Goal: Bag End to Rivendell

This past week was amazing, mileage-wise, for me - 31 miles! It was a mix of walks, weeding, traipsing on mountains (just a bit - Trail Ridge Road opened, with heaps of snow still on the tundra). Now, I'm tired... wonder why? But the yard is getting better and Beamer (my daughter) has been joining me on walks, so it's a good tired.

In Middle Earth, Glorfindel managed to track us down a few miles back and is now carrying Frodo on his horse.

Have a great nest week!

~ Ara

Resources
The Walk with the Fellowship Challenge
The Eowyn Challenge Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site includes helpful activity conversion charts, mileages for Bilbo's Hobbitty journey home, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page is useful for keeping track of mileage, though be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity.

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jun 18 2015, 7:32pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 5 2015, 7:55am

Post #2 of 9 (933 views)
Shortcut
Hey, Arandiel! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's summer! The merriest, but also the busiest season. Boy, does the grass grow fast -- I feel like I spend half my time behind the lawn mower! Not that I complain -- it's great for my mileage. I've also finally started my long overdue spring cleaning (or should I say summer cleaning?), which should keep me busy for at least a few more days.

My progress:
Miles covered this past two weeks: 108,5
Cumulative miles: 458 + 240,5 = 698,5
Goal: Rivendell to Lothlórien

In Middle-earth, I've had the crebain fly over not long ago and I'll soon be attempting the Pass of Caradhras, though something tells me I'll eventually end up using a different route to get to the other side of the mountains, which are now looming up close.

Happy walking, everyone!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 5 2015, 5:27pm

Post #3 of 9 (919 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like 'busy' works well for both of us on the mileage!

Those nasty crebain - I hope you find an easier path, BlackFox... Crazy

Have fun cleaning and mowing!

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 5 2015, 7:12pm

Post #4 of 9 (911 views)
Shortcut
It sure does! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, Arandiel. Have a great weekend! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 7 2015, 12:25pm

Post #5 of 9 (878 views)
Shortcut
*zooommmm* [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a quick run by... I've been helping my daughter pack and move for the past several days, and she's waiting for me right now!

I've been on a variation of the Atkins diet (lots of veggies), and I've just this morning found I've lost 10 pounds in 4 weeks!! SO GEEKED!!!

Thanks for keeping us on the Road, Arandiel! Keep on truckin' everyone! I'll see you on the Road!

Miles covered: 78 miles
Cumulated miles: 619
CHALLENGE: The Lord of the Rings Walk with the Fellowship Challenge!
GOAL: Walk to Lothlórien and peek into a mirror – 462 miles + 458 (Rivendell) = 920 Cumulated miles

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 18 2015, 6:06pm

Post #6 of 9 (755 views)
Shortcut
WTR post for Thursday, June 18 [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, RL must be hectic for many of us here at TORn - two weeks, and the Walk is still in the middle of the front page.

So, in the midst of all the busy, how are you journeys going? Where in Middle Earth have your activities on Earth brought you?

My progress:
Miles covered (two weeks): 42
Cumulative miles: 484
Goal: Bag End to Rivendell

Oh, good grief - I forgot to update one equation in the spreadsheet I use to track my mileage at the beginning of the month. As it turns out, I'm further than I thought I was - only one mile to go to Rivendell! The waterfalls are quite spectacular (going with the movie version, a bit, because it's one of the things I love the most about PJ & All's version of the place).

Beamer and I are off on a Girl Scout troop trip this weekend, which should yield some Colorado mountain miles for our next update!

Here's to success along the Road!

~ Ara

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 18 2015, 7:19pm

Post #7 of 9 (744 views)
Shortcut
*waves to fellow walkers* [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, Arandiel!

It's been another good couple of weeks for me mileage-wise, with lots of housework and time spent outside.

My progress:
Miles covered this past two weeks: 115
Cumulative miles: 458 + 355,5 = 813,5
Goal: Rivendell to Lothlórien

In Middle-earth, I've reached Moria and am journeying in the dark now. A little over a hundred miles to Lorien from here.

Happy walking, everyone, and enjoy the trip, Arandiel!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jun 18 2015, 10:22pm

Post #8 of 9 (735 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, watch out for things that go 'whiffle-snuffle' in the dark! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's almost as if there were a pair of eyes following you... *shudder*

But, housework, there's an accomplishment, right? Wink And time outdoors is time well-spent, I say!

I've spent the past two weeks helping ('forcing') my Hobbit clean his room. As in 'go through every scrap in every corner' - it feels nearly spacious, now!

Have a great next week, BlackFox!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 19 2015, 7:53am

Post #9 of 9 (718 views)
Shortcut
*gulp* [In reply to] Can't Post

The descriptions of Gollum following the Fellowship in Moria truly are among the eeriest in LOTR. And I have a feeling it will get worse before it gets better. *looks around nervously, picks up pace*

All the best to you too in the coming week!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.