The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why bard tried to kill Smaug?

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 4 2015, 8:33pm

Post #1 of 11 (859 views)
Shortcut
Why bard tried to kill Smaug? Can't Post

If he knew the only way to kill the dragon would using the black arrow (was with his son), so why he tried to kill the beast?

Pandallo
Rivendell

Jun 4 2015, 8:36pm

Post #2 of 11 (805 views)
Shortcut
Desperate times... [In reply to] Can't Post

Call for desperate measures. He was continuing to strike Smaug in his exposed scale, but it had no effect. He may have thought that the exposed skin underneath the lost scale was all he would need. He was wrong.

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 4 2015, 8:46pm

Post #3 of 11 (810 views)
Shortcut
Only the black arrow could have pierced Smaug's scales, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but according to the story Galion had already loosened the scale, so Bard was trying to aim for the weak spot with regular arrows.

I think/hope we might get a quick shot in the EE, after the Windlance is destroyed, Bard sees the thrush. The thrush flies close to the dragon, drawing Bard's attention to the missing scale and then Bard looks for a high place where he can get a clear shot. Smile I think that would be a nice touch.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jun 4 2015, 8:46pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 4 2015, 10:07pm

Post #4 of 11 (759 views)
Shortcut
Life or death.... [In reply to] Can't Post

While Smaug was alive the people of Laketown stood no chance - he would have killed them all in the end, on the Lake or on the shore. So Bard had to try, however hopeless it might have been. He hadn't got the Black Arrow, he didn't know where it was, so he had to use what the weapons he had. That's what brave people do when that much is at stake. Even without hope you still have to try.

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 4 2015, 10:20pm

Post #5 of 11 (741 views)
Shortcut
Oops, I meant Girion. Sorry // [In reply to] Can't Post

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 4 2015, 11:46pm

Post #6 of 11 (709 views)
Shortcut
Why didn't he run? [In reply to] Can't Post

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 5 2015, 12:02am

Post #7 of 11 (701 views)
Shortcut
As Girion's ancestor, he felt it was his duty... [In reply to] Can't Post

There was really nowhere to run, Smaug would have killed them before they got away, he's too powerful a force. So Bard sees it as his duty to succeed where his ancestor failed and try kill the dragon by any means.

He knows that the Windlance is the only way, but (in the EE) that gets destroyed, so he thinks "well, Girion already loosened a scale, so maybe if I hit him in the right spot it'll finish him off" it was better than doing nothing.

The only problematic and unheroic action is the way he apparently ignores his children's safety, prioritising Smaug over his kids. I'm not sure how to feel about that, but I guess in that moment you have to think fast and threat no. 1 was the dragon, so it's hard to think about anything else.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jun 5 2015, 2:00am

Post #8 of 11 (669 views)
Shortcut
In the dialogue with Bain... [In reply to] Can't Post

...he says the children were supposed to leave. They had a boat with which to do it, which I think both Bain and Sigrid probably know how to use well.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 5 2015, 12:32pm

Post #9 of 11 (564 views)
Shortcut
Because he had a social conscience // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 5 2015, 3:16pm

Post #10 of 11 (526 views)
Shortcut
His family [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Why didn't he run?

Bard had to give his family (and the other fleeing residents) as much of a chance for survival as possible. Even if he couldn't kill the dragon, his efforts might have allowed others to escape.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Adrianna
Lorien

Jun 6 2015, 11:02am

Post #11 of 11 (432 views)
Shortcut
Bard [In reply to] Can't Post

Knew those arrows were not going to do anything. He really didn't have anytime to go looking for black arrow so he grabbed what he could. But I would agree desperate times make you want to do something to help alleviate the matter.

That last arrow he did was to get Smaug's attention and it worked. What Smaug didn't realize that there was one more Black arrow left that could have killed him. Smaug got to overconfident and it cost him.

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.