Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Could that Iron hills commander be Thorin III Stonehelm?

boldog
Rohan

Jun 4 2015, 7:45am

Post #1 of 12 (880 views)
Shortcut
Could that Iron hills commander be Thorin III Stonehelm? Can't Post

Well Id like to anyway.
He bears similar resemblance to Dain, and is the only dwarf of the iron hills to have some personal screentime

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Jun 4 2015, 12:56pm

Post #2 of 12 (777 views)
Shortcut
Who exactly are you referring to? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you link to a picture of him from the movie?

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 4 2015, 1:28pm

Post #3 of 12 (762 views)
Shortcut
You mean the guy that [In reply to] Can't Post

called out after Dain said "let's give these bastards a good hammering"? The camera did zoom in on him briefly. He said something like "Da na, doo re do," or something like that. My Kuzdul is a little rustyBlush

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

(This post was edited by Kilidoescartwheels on Jun 4 2015, 1:30pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 4 2015, 1:39pm

Post #4 of 12 (757 views)
Shortcut
My Kuzdul is non-existent.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..but may I just thank you for 'doo re do'. For one moment there I enjoyed an unexpected and gloriously silly mental image of the dwarves of the Iron Hills donning their striped aprons and singing to the strumming of Dain's guitar.... "Do, a deer, a female deer, Re a drop of golden sun....." Cool

Macfeast
Rohan

Jun 4 2015, 1:45pm

Post #5 of 12 (748 views)
Shortcut
The second half of his battle-cry... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the "doo re do", sounds like "Durinul" to me; "sons of Durin". Don't know about the rest.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Jun 4 2015, 1:50pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 4 2015, 3:08pm

Post #6 of 12 (714 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin III, like Legolas, should have been old enough to have taken part in the battle. And, the rulers in Middle-earth had a bad habit of taking their sons and heirs into battle with them.

Doesn't anyone ever even consider leaving an heir on the throne as Regent while they are gone?

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 4 2015, 6:37pm

Post #7 of 12 (648 views)
Shortcut
Probably not... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because in our own history heirs to the throne or to important titles have tended to be in the thick of things unless they were too young to fight (too young in the Middle Ages being something like under 13). Part of what they were trained for, and I'm sure Tolkien would have known that.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 4 2015, 6:45pm

Post #8 of 12 (641 views)
Shortcut
An alternative [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess the other cliche is when the ruler and eldest child(ren) go off to war and get killed, leaving the youngest and least prepared in charge. Although, I'm not sure that Tolkien ever used that idea.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

leonmuse
Rivendell

Jun 5 2015, 2:24am

Post #9 of 12 (554 views)
Shortcut
That guy shouting is Dain, isn't he? [In reply to] Can't Post

He is supposedly Billy Conolly in make up.

I hope i am wrong because he is notably different from the CGI Dain.

(This post was edited by leonmuse on Jun 5 2015, 2:25am)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 5 2015, 5:19am

Post #10 of 12 (535 views)
Shortcut
Not Dain. [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't look or sound like him. And he was behind the shield wall with the other soldiers.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 5 2015, 4:21pm

Post #11 of 12 (479 views)
Shortcut
Well darn it, he should have! [In reply to] Can't Post

I even wrote a fanfic where Kili survived (of course you know that) because I think SOMEONE should have! But this post made me think of "The White Queen," and how Edward ended up on the throne after his father & older brother were killed. I believe that one of the French Kings, the one around Joan of Arc's time, was actually the youngest son, but the only one to make it to the throne, the rest killed in battle. I'm sure there are other examples in history.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Lio
Lorien

Jun 6 2015, 1:08am

Post #12 of 12 (434 views)
Shortcut
Valandil maybe? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I guess the other cliche is when the ruler and eldest child(ren) go off to war and get killed, leaving the youngest and least prepared in charge. Although, I'm not sure that Tolkien ever used that idea.
Three of Isildur's eldest sons were slain along with him, leaving Valandil as the heir. But in fact he was too young to rule so some years passed before he actually became king! There could be other examples but that's the only one that came to my mind.

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." — Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser! (Does anyone still use AIM?)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.