Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
I need a bit of help!

Zerohthecamel

Jun 3 2015, 4:57pm

Post #1 of 4 (962 views)
Shortcut
I need a bit of help! Can't Post

He guys! I have set out to translate a sentece to sindarin and then write it down in tengwar sindarin beleriand mode. The sentence is Tales of Arda. I've translated it to: Nern o Arda. Though not sure how to write it down in sindarin tengwar B/M. Could someone help me?
Thanks Smile

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 3 2015, 7:05pm

Post #2 of 4 (929 views)
Shortcut
Try this site [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.arno.org/tengwar/

Elthir
Grey Havens

Jun 3 2015, 7:29pm

Post #3 of 4 (928 views)
Shortcut
Ardhon [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello! In Quendi And Eldar the Sindarin version of arda is gardh (garth with a voiced th). Arda as a proper name was due to a Valarin word however (at least according to this text), but I can't recall if gardh is ever used as a proper name.

In The Peoples of Middle-Earth the name Ardamire (with long i) "Jewel of Arda" is rendered in Sindarin as...

Mîr n'ardhon

... so maybe I would use Ardhon myself (also note Calenardhon). If you want to use o, Tolkien notes that od appears occasionally before vowels, especially before o-. Attested examples show o before i and e in any case (any examples with o before initial a-? I and e is all that I recall right now).

Plural nern seems attested in Nern in Edenedair or *Tales of the Fathers of Men.

As for the writing, I would have to refer you to each letter in the numbered chart in the Appendices or as illustrated on the Doors of Durin... and I'm too lazy for that, especially knowing that others can just write it out with their magik computer devices and show you much more easily.

Anyway someone usually comes along and writes it magikally... in the thread Smile

By the way, I'm no expert. I still gave it a shot, especially as I suspect you are not tattooing this on your brow, or arm, or foot.

(This post was edited by Elthir on Jun 3 2015, 7:40pm)

Elthir
Grey Havens

Jun 3 2015, 8:28pm

Post #4 of 4 (915 views)
Shortcut
PS on ardhon [In reply to] Can't Post

I just realized, or think I realized (again I'm no expert), that the two examples of ardhon that I provided might be due to mutation -- perhaps loss of g after *na, in the Jewel of Arda example, and loss of g in the compound Calen(g)ardhon? I mean we seem to have mutation in Calenhad "Green Space" if we have sad "place, spot".

In other words, if we have gardh, why not *gardhon as a word by itself, when not in a position where any sort of mutation should occur, at least. But now you get into questions that are beyond me...

... so I recommend waiting for someone else to help there Smile

I do find some folks using ardhon, and I find it in certain Sindarin dictionaries on the web (where it would not be subject to mutation in a simple entry), but now I'm not wholly sure, due to the mutation question.

Either that... or try a Quenya version Wink

(This post was edited by Elthir on Jun 3 2015, 8:41pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.