Immortal

Jun 3 2015, 4:08pm

Post #1 of 37 (1872 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 3 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

June 3, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The Company comes to the Bruinen.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."They continue northeast. The road still hugs feet of the Trollshaws, cross a small stream, then bends more northeast. The steep ravine of the Bruinen also runs east-northeast not far to the south. They continue east-northeast along road... ...The road begins to run gently downhill with much grass on sides. Hills are still on the north as the road drops through a cutting of red stone topped with tall pines, then crosses a long flat mile toward the river. The Company finally reach the Ford of Bruinen and they can clearly see the Misty Mountains as they make camp."

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 4 2015, 5:58am

Post #2 of 37 (1846 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

June 4, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf searches out the path into the valley of Rivendell.
..."...they saw that the great mountains... ...and behind its shoulders the tips of snow-peaks gleamed.
..."Is that The Mountain?" asked Bilbo in a solemn voice, looking at it with round eyes. He had never seen a thing that looked so big before.
..."Of course not!" said Balin. "That is only the beginning of the Misty Mountains, and we have to get through... ...somehow before we can come into Wilderland beyond. And it is a deal of a way even from the other side of them to the Lonely Mountain in the East where Smaug lies on our treasure."
..."O!" said Bilbo, and just at that moment he felt more tired than he ever remembered feeling before. He was thinking once again of his comfortable chair before the fire in his favourite sitting-room in his hobbit-hole, and of the kettle singing. Not for the last time!

......Gandalf led the way. "We must not miss the road, or we shall be done for... ...We need food, for one thing, and rest in reasonable safety—also it is very necessary to tackle the Misty Mountains by the proper path, or else you will get lost in them, and have to come back and start at the beginning again (if you ever get back at all)."
......"You are come to the very edge of the Wild, as some of you may know. Hidden somewhere ahead of us is the fair valley of Rivendell where Elrond lives in the Last Homely House. I sent a message by my friends, and we are expected."
......They were growing anxious, for they now saw that the house might be hidden almost anywhere between them and the mountains... ...Altogether it was a very slow business following the track even guided by Gandalf, who seemed to know his way about pretty well.

...His head and beard wagged this way and that as he looked for the stones... ...but they seemed no nearer to the end of the search when the day began to fail. Tea-time had long gone by, and it seemed supper-time would soon do the same. There were moths fluttering about, and the light became very dim, for the moon had not risen... ...They came to the edge of a steep fall in the ground so suddenly that Gandalf's horse nearly slipped down the slope.
..."Here it is at last!" he called, and the others gathered round him and looked over the edge... ...Their spirits rose as they went down and down... ...and there was a comfortable feeling in the twilight. The last green had almost faded out of the grass, when they came at length to an open glade not far above the banks of the stream.
..."Hmmm! it smells like elves!" thought Bilbo, and he looked up at the stars. They were burning bright and blue. Just then there came a burst of song like laughter in the trees...

......They were elves of course. Soon Bilbo caught glimpses of them as the darkness deepened. He loved elves, though he seldom met them; but he was a little frightened of them too. Dwarves don't get on well with them. Even decent enough dwarves like Thorin and his friends think them foolish (which is a very foolish thing to think)...
..."...Well, well!" said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn't it delicious!"
..."Most astonishing wonderful!"
..."...You are a little out of your way," said the elf: "...We will set you right, but you had best get on foot, until you are over the bridge. Are you going to stay a bit and sing with us, or will you go straight on? Supper is preparing over there... ...I can smell the wood-fires for the cooking."
...Tired as he was, Bilbo would have liked to stay awhile. Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars, not if you care for such things. Also he would have liked to have a few private words with these people that seemed to know his name and all about him.... ...He thought their opinion of his adventure might be interesting. Elves know a lot and are wondrous folk for news, and know what is going on among the peoples of the land, as quick as water flows, or quicker...
......And so at last they all came to the Last Homely House, and found its doors flung wide."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 4 2015, 3:01pm

Post #3 of 37 (1831 views)
Shortcut
Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

It's time for a long period of R&R in Rivendell. Not much happens in 2941 from here until Midsummer Eve (unless we want to imagine Bilbo befriending a young boy who goes by the name Estel).

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 4 2015, 7:22pm

Post #4 of 37 (1818 views)
Shortcut
Oh Yes! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's imagine a young boy meeting his first Hobbit! Little did he know... EITHER ONE!

Ahhh... I needed this about now. THANKS! :D

*still smiling*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 4 2015, 7:29pm

Post #5 of 37 (1819 views)
Shortcut
The White Council [In reply to] Can't Post

I still wonder if at least some members of the White Council might have met in secret in Imladris during this time, arranging to rendezvous in either Lothlorien or at Rhosgobel in late-summer. I really don't think that Gandalf would have returned to Rivendell after seeing the company off at the Eaves of Mirkwood. Besides, he said he would be riding south.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 5 2015, 10:15am

Post #6 of 37 (1807 views)
Shortcut
*sniff, sniff* [In reply to] Can't Post

I smell a fanfic coming on!

I believe that's exactly what was going on. Why else would they stay for so long? Elrond's foresight and Galadriel's mirror must have been palpitating!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 5 2015, 10:16am

Post #7 of 37 (1809 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

June 5, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The house of Elrond.
..."Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway. They stayed long in that good house, fourteen days at least, and they found it hard to leave. Bilbo would gladly have stopped there for ever and ever—even supposing a wish could have taken him right back to his hobbit-hole without trouble....
......The master of the house was an elf-friend—one of those people whose fathers came into the strange stories before the beginning of History, the wars of the evil goblins and the elves and the first men in the North. In those days of our tale there were still some people who had both elves and heroes of the North for ancestors, and Elrond the master of the house was their chief.
...He was as noble and as fair in face as an elf-lord, as strong as a warrior, as wise as a wizard, as venerable as a king of dwarves, and as kind as summer. He comes into many tales, but his part in the story of Bilbo's great adventure is only a small one, though important.... ...His house was perfect, whether you liked food, or sleep, or work, or story-telling or singing, or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all. Evil things did not come into that valley."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 5 2015, 10:28am

Post #8 of 37 (1805 views)
Shortcut
I love this introduction to Elrond. [In reply to] Can't Post

And the way Tolkien ties him into his own, at-that-time private developing legendarium.

You can't help but read this the first time and wonder, what are all the other tales to tell about this new world? Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 5 2015, 3:00pm

Post #9 of 37 (1802 views)
Shortcut
Fanfic? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I smell a fanfic coming on!

I believe that's exactly what was going on. Why else would they stay for so long? Elrond's foresight and Galadriel's mirror must have been palpitating!

Not from me, at least.

Elrond was already present and High Elf members of his household who were also part of the WC would have been easy to gather. Others such as Galadriel, Saruman or Cirdan could have been sent for in advance of the company's arrival once Gandalf knew that plans were set.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 5 2015, 6:08pm

Post #10 of 37 (1788 views)
Shortcut
Brings to mind - was Elrond an Elf or more (or less) than an Elf? [In reply to] Can't Post

I too love this intro. to Elrond, yet find parts of it somewhat mysterious.

The master of the house was an elf-friend . . .
He was as noble and as fair in face as an elf-lord

Here Tolkien/Bilbo doesn’t come right out and say that Elrond was an Elf. But it’s almost to be read as if Elrond wasn’t an Elf.
And elsewhere in LotR, (Silmarillion, etc.?) it’s said that he chose to be of ”Elven-kind”.
But it’s also said in a few places that Elrond was an “Elven-lord of great power”. So. . . Hmmm!

We learn here, and much more later on, that he held great power (and the immortality of the Eldar). Does this in some way come from his lineage as a Peredhil, or did Vilya, the greatest of the Three Rings give him some of his abilities?

Or did Tolkien/Bilbo not care to elucidate or change the wording in The Hobbit leaving it as is – somewhat wide of the mark?
Or am I trying too hard to close the gap between The Hobbit and LOTR?

{Hey Gramma, if this is inappropriate for your “Today in Middle-earth” series – Apologies! And everyone - pay no attention! – okay?}

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 5 2015, 6:45pm

Post #11 of 37 (1781 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Tolkien does say. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I too love this intro. to Elrond, yet find parts of it somewhat mysterious.

The master of the house was an elf-friend . . .
He was as noble and as fair in face as an elf-lord

Here Tolkien/Bilbo doesn’t come right out and say that Elrond was an Elf. But it’s almost to be read as if Elrond wasn’t an Elf.
And elsewhere in LotR, (Silmarillion, etc.?) it’s said that he chose to be of ”Elven-kind”.
But it’s also said in a few places that Elrond was an “Elven-lord of great power”. So. . . Hmmm!

We learn here, and much more later on, that he held great power (and the immortality of the Eldar). Does this in some way come from his lineage as a Peredhil, or did Vilya, the greatest of the Three Rings give him some of his abilities?

Or did Tolkien/Bilbo not care to elucidate or change the wording in The Hobbit leaving it as is – somewhat wide of the mark?
Or am I trying too hard to close the gap between The Hobbit and LOTR?

You have to read further down in that first paragraph that begins, "The master of the house was an elf-friend--"

In those days of our tale there were still some people who had both elves and heroes of the North for ancestors, and Elrond the master of the house was their chief.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 6 2015, 12:25am

Post #12 of 37 (1764 views)
Shortcut
I’m not saying that Elrond was not an Elf. [In reply to] Can't Post

But even finishing that paragraph, I am saying that it is not made quite clear (to me) in The Hobbit.

One definition in my fifteen pound, 2220 page Webster’s New Universal Dictionary defines “chief” as:
n 1. A commander; a leader; the person who heads any group or organization.

A thought:
Aragorn’s ancestors were of Elvish, Maia, and Mannish blood, yet after dozens of generations he was a Man.

My great-grandfather was Welsh, but after a few generations mixing in Irish, English, French, I turn out to be just an American. Smile

In Reply To

In those days of our tale there were still some people who had both elves and heroes of the North for ancestors, and Elrond the master of the house was theirchief.

So (again, to me) saying Elrond was ”chief” of “both elves and heroes” doesn’t clarify that Elrond WAS an Elf. It just says that Elrond was the “chief” of “some people” who had “both elves and heroes . . . for ancesters”.

Yes, I get trivial...............again! Cool

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 6 2015, 11:47am

Post #13 of 37 (1761 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 6 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

June 6, 2942 (S.R. 1342)
1. Gandalf and Bilbo retrace their journey.
(determined from text)
..."At each point on the road Bilbo recalled the happenings and the words of a year ago—it seemed to him more like ten—so ... ...he quickly noted the place where the pony had fallen in the river, and they had turned aside for their nasty adventure with Tom and Bert and Bill.
...Not far from the road they found the gold of the trolls, which they had buried, still hidden and untouched. "I have enough to last me my time," said Bilbo, when they had dug it up. "You had better take this, Gandalf. I daresay you can find a use for it."
..."Indeed I can... ...But share and share alike! You may find you have more needs than you expect."
...So they put the gold in bags and slung them on the ponies.... ... After that their going was slower, for most of the time they walked. But the land was green and there was much grass through which the hobbit strolled along contentedly. He mopped his face with a red silk handkerchief—no! not a single one of his own had survived. He had borrowed this one from Elrond—for now June had brought summer, and the weather was bright and hot again."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 7 2015, 12:08pm

Post #14 of 37 (1739 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 7 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

June 7, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf, Bilbo and the Company of Dwarves settle at Rivendell.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...What do you imagine was going on in the Last Homely House of Rivendell? Thorin is not the only Dwarf present who may have an opinion of the Elves. Do you think Fili and Kili, the younger of the group, felt the same way as their elders? Did Gandalf keep company with Bilbo, Elrond, or Thorin? What was the reaction of the Elves to their visitors? There will be several days before there's any activity by the Fellowship or the Company... so here's your chance to offer a fanfic of what went on during Bilbo's first real experience with the Elves.

Here's one in a drabble:

Morning in Rivendell
...Bilbo woke to the feel of soft sun on his face. As if warm hands were drawing him from a deep, peaceful sleep. He didn't open his eyes right away. He was in bliss lying on a soft mattress with a lovely feather pillow. After miserable nights of camping and days of jogging along on ponies, he felt he could rest on this very spot for a week.
...His beautiful reverie was suddenly interrupted by a fragrance blending into his waking dream.
..."BREAKFAST!" He lept from his warm bed, dressed and chased the odour of hot food like a hound.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 7 2015, 4:49pm

Post #15 of 37 (1729 views)
Shortcut
Reworking an old drabble [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that we know movie-Kili:

Kili spent time delighting in the sunshine and air flowing through these strange rooms and outbuildings, quite unlike their underground dwellings. He peered into every opening, fascinated by the Elvish craftsmanship he found.

From one building he heard a distinct hammering. A smithy! Metalwork - he knew it well, and watched with fascination as the Elf wielded his tongs and hammer with skill. "You do excellent work!" he said.

The Elf smiled broadly. "Praise from the praiseworthy! For you know, it was Dwarves who first taught this skill to Elves." Kili blushed with pride as he gave a slight bow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 8 2015, 5:25pm

Post #16 of 37 (1710 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mealtime in Middle-earth.
I'm Hungry! Dieting is a bite! So, over the next few days, let's look at some Book Spoilers about the meals of Middle-earth... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From At the Sign of the Prancing Pony: The Fellowship of the Ring

..."But Nob, the hobbit servant, came bustling... ...He brought candles and a tray full of plates.
... 'Will you be wanting anything to drink, masters?' he asked. 'And shall I show you the bedrooms, while your supper is got ready?'
... They were washed and in the middle of good deep mugs of beer when Mr. Butterbur and Nob came in again. In a twinkling the table was laid. There was hot soup, cold meats, a blackberry tart, new loaves, slabs of butter and half a ripe cheese: good plain food, as good as the Shire could show, and homelike enough to dispel the last of Sam's misgivings (already much relieved by the excellence of the beer)."

From Minas Tirith: The Return of the King

... "'This is the storehouse and buttery of my company of the Guard,' said Beregond. 'Greetings, Targon!' he called through the hatch... '...here is a newcomer that the Lord has taken into his service. He has ridden long and far with a tight belt, and has had sore labour this morning, and he is hungry. Give us what you have!'
... They got there bread, and butter, and cheese and apples: the last of the winter store, wrinkled but sound and sweet; and a leather flagon of new-drawn ale, and wooden platters and cups. They put all into a wicker basket and climbed back into the sun... ...Beregond brought Pippin to a place at the east end of the great out-thrust battlement where there was an embrasure in the walls with a stone seat beneath the sill. From there they could look out on the morning over the world."

From Flotsam and Jetsam: The Two Towers

... "'I lit a bit of fire,' said Pippin. 'It cheered us up in the fogs... ...A fire is handy. I will make you some toast. The bread is three or four days old, I am afraid.'
... Aragorn and his companions sat themselves down at one end of a long table, and the hobbits disappeared through one of the inner doors... ...they came back laden with dishes, bowls, cups, knives, and food of various sorts.'
... 'And you need not turn up your nose at the provender, Master Gimli,' said Merry. 'This is not orc-stuff, but manfood, as Treebeard calls it. Will you have wine or beer? There's a barrel inside there--very passable. And this is first-rate salted pork. Or I can cut you some rashers of bacon and broil them... ...I am sorry there is no green stuff... ...I cannot offer you anything to follow but butter and honey for your bread. Are you content?'
...'Indeed yes,' said Gimli...
... ...The three were soon busy with their meal; and the two hobbits, unabashed, set to a second time. 'We must keep our guests company..." ... 'You are full of courtesy this morning,' laughed Legolas. 'But maybe, if we had not arrived, you would already have been keeping one another company again.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 8 2015, 5:26pm

Post #17 of 37 (1709 views)
Shortcut
*applause* :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh... I LIKE THAT!!! :D *high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 9 2015, 5:41pm

Post #18 of 37 (1691 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's see more about mealtime in Middle-earth... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From A Shortcut to Mushrooms: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "Frodo now accepted the invitation [of dinner with the Maggots] gratefully, to the relief of Pippin and Sam... ...Two of Maggot's sons and his three daughters came in, and a generous supper was laid on the large table. The kitchen was lit with candles and the fire was mended. Mrs. Maggot bustled in and out... ...In a short while fourteen sat down to eat. There was beer in plenty, and a mighty dish of mushrooms and bacon, besides much other solid farmhouse fare. The dogs lay by the fire and gnawed rinds and cracked bones."

From Three Is Company: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "At the south end of the greensward there was an opening. There the green floor ran on into the wood, and formed a wide space like a hall, roofed by the boughs of trees... ...torches with lights of gold and silver were burning steadily. The Elves sat round the fire upon the grass or upon the sawn rings of old trunks. Some went to and fro bearing cups and pouring drink; others brought food on heaped plates and dishes.
... 'This is poor fare,' they said to the hobbits; 'for we are lodging in the greenwood far from our halls....'
... ...Pippin afterwards recalled little of either food or drink, for his mind was filled with the light upon the elf-faces, and the sound of voices so various and so beautiful that he felt in a waking dream. But he remembered that there was bread, surpassing the savour of a fair white loaf to one who is starving; and fruits sweet as wildberries and richer than the tended fruits of gardens; he drained a cup that was filled with a fragrant draught, cool as a clear fountain, golden as a summer afternoon. ... Sam could never describe in words, nor picture clearly to himself, what he felt or thought that night, though it remained in his memory as one of the chief events of his life. The nearest he ever got was to say: 'Well, sir, if I could grow apples like that, I would call myself a gardener...'

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 10 2015, 11:12am

Post #19 of 37 (1678 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's another Book Spoiler that teaches us step-by-step coney cooking... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit: The Two Towers

... "'Sméagol always helps,' he said. 'He has brought rabbits, nice rabbits. But master has gone to sleep, and perhaps Sam wants to sleep. Doesn't want rabbits now..?'
... Sam, however, had no objection... ...At least not to cooked rabbit. All hobbits, of course, can cook, for they begin to learn the art before their letters (which many never reach); but Sam was a good cook, even by hobbit reckoning, and he had done a good deal of the camp-cooking on their travels... ...some of the gear in his pack: a small tinder-box, two small shallow pans, the smaller fitting into the larger; inside them a wooden spoon, a short two-pronged fork and some skewers were stowed; and hidden at the bottom of the pack in a flat wood box a dwindling treasure, some salt. But he needed a fire, and other things besides...
... '...Now, Gollum,' he said, 'I've another job for you. Go and fill these pans with water... ...Don't you damage one of my pans, or I'll carve you into mincemeat...'
... ...Sam gathered a pile of the driest fern, and then scrambled up the bank collecting a bundle of twigs and broken wood... ...and made a shallow hole and laid his fuel in it. Being handy with flint and tinder he soon had a small blaze going... ...He was just stooping over his fire, shielding it and building it up with heavier wood, when Gollum returned, carrying the pans carefully and grumbling to himself.
... He set the pans down, and then suddenly saw what Sam was doing. He gave a thin hissing shriek, and seemed to be both frightened and angry. 'Ach! Sss—no!' he cried. 'No! Silly hobbits, foolish... ...Not make the nassty red tongues,' hissed Gollum. 'Fire, fire! It's dangerous, yes it is. It burns, it kills. And it will bring enemies, yes it will.'
... 'I don't think so,' said Sam. 'Don't see why it should... ...I'm going to risk it, anyhow. I'm going to stew these coneys.'
... 'Stew the rabbits!' squealed Gollum in dismay. 'Spoil beautiful meat Sméagol saved for you, poor hungry Sméagol...'
... '...Now, now!' said Sam.... '...Our bread chokes you, and raw coney chokes me. If you give me a coney, the coney's mine, see, to cook, if I have a mind...' ...Sam busied himself with his pans. 'What a hobbit needs with coney,' he said to himself, 'is some herbs and roots, especially taters—not to mention bread. Herbs we can manage, seemingly.'
... 'Gollum!' he called softly... '...I want some herbs.' Gollum's head peeped out of the fern, but his looks were neither helpful nor friendly. 'A few bay-leaves, some thyme and sage, will do—before the water boils,' said Sam... ... look for turnips and carrots, and taters too... ...I'd give a lot for half a dozen taters.'
... 'Sméagol won't go, O no precious, not this time,' hissed Gollum... '...Sméagol won't grub for roots and carrotses and—taters. What's taters, precious, eh, what's taters?'
... 'Po—ta—toes,' said Sam. 'The Gaffer's delight and rare good ballast for an empty belly...'
......Soon the rabbits cut up lay simmering in their pans with the bunched herbs... ...He let them stew for close on an hour, testing them now and again with his fork, and tasting the broth.
... When he thought all was ready he lifted the pans off the fire, and crept along to Frodo... '...Though it ain't quite what I'd call right: no stock, no onions, no taters. I've got a bit of a stew for you, and some broth, Mr. Frodo. Do you good. You'll have to sup it in your mug; or straight from the pan, when it's cooled a bit. I haven't brought no bowls...'
... ...Sam and his master sat just within the fern-brake and ate their stew from the pans, sharing the old fork and spoon. They allowed themselves half a piece of the elvish waybread each. It seemed a feast."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 11 2015, 8:55am

Post #20 of 37 (1666 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler of the defiance and delusion of Denethor as he challenges Gandalf... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Pyre of Denethor: The Return of the King

... "'What then would you have,' said Gandalf, 'if your will could have its way?'
... 'I would have things as they were in all the days of my life,' answered Denethor, 'and in the days of my long-fathers... ...to be the Lord of this City in peace, and leave my chair to a son after me, who would be his own master and no wizard's pupil. But if doom denies this to me, then I will have naught: neither life diminished, nor love halved, nor honour abated...'
... '...it would not seem that a Steward who faithfully surrenders his charge is diminished in love or in honour,' said Gandalf. 'And at the least you shall not rob your son of his choice while his death is still in doubt.'
... At those words Denethor's eyes flamed again, and taking the Stone under his arm he drew a knife and strode towards the bier. But Beregond sprang forward and set himself before Faramir.
... 'So!' cried Denethor. 'Thou hadst already stolen half my son's love. Now thou stealest the hearts of my knights also, so that they rob me wholly of my son... ...But in this at least thou shalt not defy my will: to rule my own end.'
... 'Come hither!' he cried to his servants... ...two of them ran up the steps to him. Swiftly he snatched a torch from the hand of one and sprang back into the house. Before Gandalf could hinder him he thrust the brand amid the fuel, and at once it crackled and roared into flame.
... Then Denethor leaped upon the table, and standing there wreathed in fire... ...he bowed and laid himself on the table, clasping the palantír with both hands upon his breast. And it was said that ever after, if any man looked in that Stone, unless he had a great strength of will to turn it to other purpose, he saw only two aged hands withering in flame.
... Gandalf in grief and horror turned his face away and closed the door."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 12 2015, 4:11pm

Post #21 of 37 (1627 views)
Shortcut

Here is a Book Spoiler that compares an event in the film with what we find in the text... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From An Unexpected Party: The Hobbit

... "Now Bilbo, my boy, fetch the lamp, and let's have a little light on this!"
... On this table in the light of a big lamp with a red shade he spread a piece of parchment rather like a map.
... "This was made by Thror, your grandfather, Thorin," he said in answer to the dwarves' excited questions. "It is a plan of the Mountain..."
... "...There is one point that you haven't noticed," said the wizard, "and that is the secret entrance. You see that rune on the West side, and the hand pointing to it from the other runes?* That marks a hidden passage to the Lower Halls... ...But in what way this one has been hidden we don't know without going to see... ...with the map went a key, a small and curious key. Here it is!" he said, and handed to Thorin a key with a long barrel and intricate wards, made of silver. "Keep it safe!"
... "Indeed I will," said Thorin... "...Now things begin to look more hopeful... ...We thought of going East, as quiet and careful as we could, as far as the Long Lake.... ...and so to the ruins of Dale—the old town in the valley there, under the shadow of the Mountain...."
... "That would be no good," said the wizard, "not without a mighty Warrior, even a Hero. I tried to find one; but warriors are busy fighting one another in distant lands, and in this neighbourhood heroes are scarce, or simply not to be found... ...That is why I settled on burglary—especially when I remembered the existence of a Side-door. And here is our little Bilbo Baggins, the burglar, the chosen and selected burglar. So now let's get on and make some plans."
... "Very well then," said Thorin, "supposing the burglar-expert gives us some ideas or suggestions." He turned with mock-politeness to Bilbo....
... ...feeling all confused and a bit shaky inside [Bilbo] still Tookishly determined to go on with things... "...I should like it all plain and clear," said he obstinately, putting on his business manner (usually reserved for people who tried to borrow money off him), and doing his best to appear wise and prudent and professional and live up to Gandalf's recommendation. "Also I should like to know about risks, out-of-pocket expenses, time required and remuneration, and so forth"—by which he meant: "What am I going to get out of it? and am I going to come back alive?""

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 13 2015, 9:23am

Post #22 of 37 (1619 views)
Shortcut

Here's part 1 of a 2 part Book Spoiler where Thorin tells the tale of the Dwarves and their dispute with Smaug... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From An Unexpected Party: The Hobbit

... ""Long ago in my grandfather Thror's time our family was driven out of the far North, and came back with all their wealth and their tools to this Mountain on the map. It had been discovered by my far ancestor, Thrain the Old, but now they mined and they tunnelled and they made huger halls and greater workshops... ...they found a good deal of gold and a great many jewels too.... ...they grew immensely rich and famous, and my grandfather was King under the Mountain again and treated with great reverence by the mortal men, who lived to the South, and were gradually spreading up the Running River as far as the valley over-shadowed by the Mountain. They built the merry town of Dale there in those days. Kings used to send for our smiths, and reward even the least skilful most richly. Fathers would beg us to take their sons as apprentices, and pay us handsomely, especially in food-supplies, which we never bothered to grow or find for ourselves... ...those were good days for us, and the poorest of us had money to spend and to lend, and leisure to make beautiful things just for the fun of it, not to speak of the most marvellous and magical toys, the like of which is not to be found in the world now-a-ways. So my grandfather's halls became full of armour and jewels and carvings and cups, and the toy-market of Dale was the wonder of the North.""

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 14 2015, 11:43am

Post #23 of 37 (1603 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 14 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

June 14, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf, Bilbo & the Dwarves rest in Rivendell.
..."All of them, the ponies as well, grew refreshed and strong in a few days there. Their clothes were mended as well as their bruises, their tempers and their hopes. Their bags were filled with food and provisions light to carry but strong to bring them over the mountain passes. Their plans were improved with the best advice."

June 14, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The sons of Elrond meet the escort and bring Arwen to Edoras.
(from the appendices-no text)
...The Company had been travelling for nearly three weeks when Elrohir and Elladan meet Arwen (their sister), Elrond, Galadriel and Celeborn, Glorfindel and Erestor (Elrond's chief counsellors and Noldor of Rivendell), and other members Arwen's escort.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 15 2015, 9:05am

Post #24 of 37 (1580 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 15 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

June 15, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. The Shire thrives!
(not from the appendices)
..."Altogether 1420 in the Shire was a marvellous year. Not only was there wonderful sunshine and delicious rain, in due times and perfect measure, but there seemed something more: an air of richness and growth, and a gleam of a beauty beyond that of mortal summers that flicker and pass upon this Middle-earth."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 16 2015, 12:11pm

Post #25 of 37 (1562 views)
Shortcut
TIME - June 16 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today on Middle-earth

June 16, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. They set out for Gondor.
(from the appendices-no text)
...The Escort of Arwen leaves Edoras to travel to Minas Tirith. With her are Elrond (Lord of Rivendell), Elrohir and Elladan (her twin brothers), Galadriel and Celeborn (Lady and Lord of the Galadrim), Glorfindel and Erestor (Elrond's chief counsellor).

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jun 16 2015, 12:12pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.