Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Will Balin mention his plans for Moria in the EE?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 3 2015, 2:00pm

Post #1 of 27 (1505 views)
Shortcut
Will Balin mention his plans for Moria in the EE? Can't Post

I have been wondering about this. Although Balin doesn't venture to Moria for some years after, we know the film timeline isn't quite the same, and I'd be surprised if they passed up another obvious connection to LOTR. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an extended farewell between Bilbo and the Dwarves (where Ori would give him his drawing, there would be a moment between him and Bofur, and perhaps Bifur and Bombur could have lines), and, before departing, Bilbo would say a final goodbye to Balin, perhaps asking him "What will you do now?" or something to that effect. Perhaps Balin could say that Erebor holds too many painful memories for him, and now that Azog and his band of Orcs had seemingly been destroyed, he would fulfil the desire of Thror to colonize Khazad Dum once more. Some hopeful strains of the magnificent Dwarrowdelf theme could even play as he declares his intentions.

So do we think PJ will add such a scene? Will he choose to omit any reference entirely, or might he do it differently, perhaps a brief discussion between Balin and Dain (in an ideal world Dain would mention seeing Durin's Bane at Azanulbizar here, but it would surely add a darker, complicated plot strand too late in proceedings).

Another way this could be done (or indeed an additional reference on top of the above) is the insertion of a brief epilogue of sorts: old Bilbo sorts through the post Bilbo brought in earlier and sees a peculiar Dwarvish rune upon it. Upon opening it, he finds it's a birthday greeting from the Lonely Mountain, written by Bofur. With James Nesbitt voiceover, we'd see things like Bombur having to be carried by several Dwarves; Beorn and the Beornings prospering; improved relations between the Woodland Realm, Erebor and Dale/Laketown; and lastly Balin arriving at Moria with Ori and Gloin and a company of Dwarves, before setting foot within. Perhaps Bofur could say something ominous like 'it has been some time since we heard from him', since in the film timeline we apparently don't have the 18-year gap after Bilbo's party.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jun 3 2015, 2:41pm

Post #2 of 27 (1405 views)
Shortcut
I certainly agree [In reply to] Can't Post

that Moria should be addressed, as the results were prominent in a major scene of Fellowship. Don't know about your letter theory though - Gimli certainly was not concerned at first and fully expected to see the others, so that branch of the family had no clue that something was amiss (if there are any coroners on the forum, they might have a far better idea than I of how long decomposition a la Ori's skeleton might have taken in Moria conditions. Perhaps not long enough in moist conditions for there to have been an unreasonably long time since final contact considering communication options available?).
My guess is that Bilbo probably would not have found out about Moria until the Hobbits and Gandalf returned to Rivendell for Frodo and Sam's recuperation - which would also mean another flash forward, as he definitely wouldn't have known yet circa his birthday at the beginning of FOTR. The best way to handle the acknowledgement might be showing Gandalf and Balin's visit, with Balin mentioning his plans to Bilbo, and a voiceover from Old Bilbo along the lines of "Oh, my dear Frodo, it broke my heart when (Gandalf, you?) told me ..."

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2015, 2:53pm

Post #3 of 27 (1394 views)
Shortcut
It seems a bit unlikely to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I certainly can't see additional flash-forward(s) at the end of the film. Moving between two time periods is one thing but trundling through more than that would surely be very awkward indeed.

I'm also of the view that it would seem awfully soon for Balin to be thinking about Moria before Bilbo leaves Erebor. I can't see that the scene is needed particularly so I'm not sure it would be worth wedging it in, given that I can't see it feeling very natural.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 3 2015, 3:02pm

Post #4 of 27 (1384 views)
Shortcut
Bomby really likes your first paragraph.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Simple, direct & beautiful..
leave it at that.

WE have the Thranndy/Legolas reference
so WHY NOT?
a Dwarish reference TOO!

Likely Balin is a real Fan Favorite
& this would add a lot to the 2 Trilogies,
even for the Casual audience member.

Maybe, our views are somewhat Clouded
since we are SSOoo Close to it.

But Remember PJ didn't just make it
for us.
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 3 2015, 3:18pm

Post #5 of 27 (1372 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure PJ has thought about this... [In reply to] Can't Post

There's almost definitely a version of the script with Balin talking about reclaiming Moria, there's a reference to everything else, and it's fairly likely such a scene was filmed. But will it be included? Hmm...

The problem I see is the really confusing and vague details of what state Moria is even in... The flashback in AUJ Balin says "our enemy was defeated". So why didn't they move straight into Moria, then? They go to reclaim it, apparently win and then move away to live in the Blue Mountains with no explanation. Did the Balrog stop them? If so why would Balin want to go back? Maybe Balin doesn't believe it exists... For example:

Balin: Erebor holds too many painful memories now, I will fulfil the desire of Thror and recolonize the kingdom of Moria.

Dwalin: You know what they say, there are rumours of a dark shadow beneath those mines.

Balin: Rumours, brother. Nothing more. Blah de blah de blah...

I think that would kind of clear it up... a little bit. But it's still a bit awkward. Although awkwardness doesn't stop PJ, does it? 'His real name you must find out for yourself' *looks at camera*

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jun 3 2015, 3:20pm)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2015, 3:22pm

Post #6 of 27 (1359 views)
Shortcut
You could even have that conversation between Balin and Dain... [In reply to] Can't Post

(as the rightful speaker of the warning!) after the coronation/funeral and it would still work, I reckon.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 3 2015, 3:28pm

Post #7 of 27 (1354 views)
Shortcut
Foreshadowing? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I think that Balin expressing anything like a concrete plan to return to Moria would be too much--especially if we are not to see him (with Gandalf) visit Bilbo at Bag End.

Peter Jackson's changes to the make up of the Battle of Five Armies causes a complication here. We had lots and lots of the larger Orcs at Erebor, but only a relatively small number of Goblin mercenaries (a few hundred at most?). This means that the Misty Mountains have not been largely depopulated of Goblins as they were in the book, so how is Balin supposed to think that it might be safe to return to Moria?

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 3 2015, 3:33pm

Post #8 of 27 (1348 views)
Shortcut
Well you could argue the awkwardness already exists in Tolkien's works [In reply to] Can't Post

Dain saw something terrible dwelling within Moria, so why didn't he warn Balin about it? Did he, and Balin choose to ignore it? Or did Balin set off before he had the chance to warn him? The latter seems improbable, given that at least a couple of hundred Dwarves would have accompanied him.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Jun 3 2015, 3:34pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 3 2015, 3:51pm

Post #9 of 27 (1329 views)
Shortcut
Here is something that could be ADDED? [In reply to] Can't Post

Balin says "WE need to send word to Ered Luin,
that we have re-Claimed our Kingdom"

Tauriel says

"I'll go! SSOoo..Kili gets to Keep his promise.."
"I'm Faster, & Fully Armed & Nothing can Stop me.."

THAT would wrap up her involvement
with her new Boyfriend?

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 3 2015, 4:07pm

Post #10 of 27 (1306 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure Dain knows anything about the Balrog... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the movie there's no evidence that Dain was ever at Moria. We don't see him in the battle. But if Balin asks for Dain's approval to go and Dain advises against it, I wouldn't complain. Perhaps Dain has heard the rumours from others.

Of course, Balin wouldn't leave there and then. He has to say goodbye to Bilbo and join in the feasting.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jun 3 2015, 4:08pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 3 2015, 4:11pm

Post #11 of 27 (1307 views)
Shortcut
Also, Dain Ironfoot already has a SON [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin III Stonehelm
who was born in 2866
....the BOT5A happens in 2941

SSOoo..he is already 75 years old,
which is a Good age to take over
from his father when needed.
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 3 2015, 4:27pm

Post #12 of 27 (1285 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

One wonders if Thorin had at all been pressured to wed and sire an heir of his own. Perhaps he had no desire to spawn another Prince in exile.

For the record, Thorin's quest would have taken place in TA 2940 in the films, as Peter Jackson had altered the year of Bilbo's birthday/farewell party to 3000 from 3001.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 3 2015, 6:12pm

Post #13 of 27 (1224 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Well there's no way for anyone to actually know yet, but it would have been a nice mention. Another chance at ripping our hearts at reminding us what will happen before LotR Frown

zalmoxis
Bree

Jun 3 2015, 6:45pm

Post #14 of 27 (1202 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien made himself quite clear: "Dáin did not give leave" to Balin & Co, cf. LOTR, The Council of Elrond. There is no "awkwardness" whatsoever.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 3 2015, 7:05pm

Post #15 of 27 (1192 views)
Shortcut
This is true [In reply to] Can't Post

But this still leaves open the question of whether Dain would have told Balin what he saw, and how Balin might have responded to it. Dain not giving leave willingly is interesting in itself; is he doing this out of genuine fear for Balin and co (most probably), or perhaps out of concern that his own preeminence would be threatened by a potential greater Dwarven kingdom reborn? I have always been intrigued to know more about the dynamic between Dain and Balin, and their motivations. The very idea of Dain not giving permission willingly, and Balin taking a large number of folk south with him, suggests to me a degree of tension within Erebor.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 3 2015, 7:32pm

Post #16 of 27 (1184 views)
Shortcut
Oh I hope not. [In reply to] Can't Post

We have enough links to LOTR without belabouring it with another nudge for the audience. To me, it would seem forced for Balin (or anyone else) to mention a wish to recapture another former Dwarf kingdom when they've only just got their hands on Erebor again.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2015, 7:55pm

Post #17 of 27 (1173 views)
Shortcut
In the book, Dain does warn Thrain about the Balrog... [In reply to] Can't Post

If I'm remembering this correctly, Thrain expresses a desire to retake Moria after the Battle of Azanulbizar, and Dain, who slew Azog before the gate, caught a glimpse inside and saw the Balrog lurking within.

For the movie, this could simply be changed to Dain warning Balin instead.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2015, 8:02pm

Post #18 of 27 (1168 views)
Shortcut
This was actually one link to LotR I was hoping to see... [In reply to] Can't Post

Would have rather seen or heard something regarding Balin's desire to retake Moria instead of Jackson's made-up reasons for Legolas joining the Fellowship (including the silly Aragorn reference), or the athelas/healing rehash, or the nuclear Galadriel rehash.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jun 3 2015, 8:13pm

Post #19 of 27 (1164 views)
Shortcut
Delurking for a bit: Sorry , [In reply to] Can't Post

but there is nothing silly in the Aragorn reference by Thanduil. Whoever paid a little more attention to the whole dialogue between Thranduil and Legolas,would easily deduce a deeper subtext which had nothing to do with Aragorn. It was Thranduil's way of admitting his error to his son without losing face. He says to Legolas,"His father was a good man. The son may be a great man." He's really talking about himself and Legolas at this point. I thought it was a beautiful way for the character to admit his mistake in a way that was in character.

P.S. Just a tiny observation here: When a text or a dialogue line is not coming straight out of Tolkien's writings, many folks fail to grasp the subtext or fail to analyse what exactly is shown on the screen. I have noticed this happening numerous times,unfortunately

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

(This post was edited by NecromancerRising on Jun 3 2015, 8:14pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 3 2015, 8:41pm

Post #20 of 27 (1129 views)
Shortcut
I really, really wish [In reply to] Can't Post

nuclear Galadriel hadn't returned. I loved the effect in LOTR, but having it in The Hobbit (and poorly done, IMO) is a case of diminishing returns for me.

I agree with NecromancerRising about the double-duty of Thranduil's line regarding Aragorn, but I appreciate how it could come across as a bit ham-fisted by the writers.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 3 2015, 9:58pm

Post #21 of 27 (1072 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this, and for delurking... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's an excellent point and one that deserves to be made many times over.

I don't find anything forced or fake in that scene and certainly nothing silly. For me it's one of those quieter moments between characters they handle so well - like Dwalin confronting Thorin or the acorn scene, or Elrond and Bilbo in Rivendell - and so many more examples.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2015, 10:22pm

Post #22 of 27 (1062 views)
Shortcut
Well you're allowed your opinion, and I'm allowed mine... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and I thought it was (to borrow a quote from Attahua) incredibly ham-fisted and unnecessary. It came across as "wink-wink, you all remember Strider, don't you?"

It isn't about my "failing to grasp the subtext", although I'm not surprised that some of PJ's more vociferous defenders would choose to interpret it that way.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Jun 3 2015, 10:22pm)

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jun 4 2015, 2:44am

Post #23 of 27 (999 views)
Shortcut
Together with anything about the Three Rings, a reference to Moria is at the top of my wish list for the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

And maybe also something about the damn Eagles acting like cabs.
Yes, I have a long wish list, with just first places...

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Jun 4 2015, 5:54am

Post #24 of 27 (950 views)
Shortcut
It's not about a defense [In reply to] Can't Post

although i have to thank you for that honorable title you attached me withCool But i am obliged to express my sadness when i see people who have never read any Tolkien book or watched any of the LOTR films-i refer to 2 friends of mine whom i dragged into the cinematic universe of Tolkien by completing the Hobbit trilogy first ,three days ago-easily grasp the subtext of this dialogue (the only thing that asked me after that scene was if this Strider is someone we see in the LOTR), and folks who have dedicated their lifetime in Tolkien's deepest,richest and more complex meanings, flaunting their own ignorance so often,boasting of their supposedly superior knowledge of the source material,but utlimately remain blissfully unaware of their own folly. Unsure

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 4 2015, 5:41pm

Post #25 of 27 (825 views)
Shortcut
There was an eagle explanation filmed... [In reply to] Can't Post

But was probably part of the two film version. I really wish they kept it in, it didn't have to be a good explanation, just something to say "hey we acknowledge this issue, here's our excuse". Considering the book gives two decent enough reasons, it seems a strange decision to just ignore it.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.