The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Who is going to crown Dain?

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 2 2015, 4:18pm

Post #1 of 11 (1561 views)
Shortcut
Who is going to crown Dain? Can't Post

I think the better character to crown Dain Ironfoot is Balin! Like Gandalf crowned Aragorn in RotK!

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 2 2015, 4:21pm

Post #2 of 11 (1521 views)
Shortcut
I imagine he'd crown himself [In reply to] Can't Post

Grab the crown, sit on the throne and shout "Alright, ye b******* I'm yer king now!" Tongue

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 2 2015, 6:40pm

Post #3 of 11 (1428 views)
Shortcut
Will we even see a coronation? [In reply to] Can't Post

Prof. Tolkien skipped over the crowning of Dain (not that that would stop Peter Jackson). It's more important, I think, to see Dain as King under the Mountain than to witness his coronation.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 2 2015, 6:51pm

Post #4 of 11 (1416 views)
Shortcut
They certainly considered showing it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's mentioned in the BoFA Chronicles book. But so are a lot of other ideas that didn't make it into the film, so that doesn't prove anything either way.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 2 2015, 7:38pm

Post #5 of 11 (1381 views)
Shortcut
How Napoleonic! [In reply to] Can't Post

As opposed to Pope Leo III tiptoeing up behind a praying Charlemagne and (surprise!!) plopping a crown on his head. (Though I can see Gandalf pulling it off.)

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 2 2015, 8:22pm

Post #6 of 11 (1345 views)
Shortcut
IT Better Be BALIN or BOMBY will Bummed..?/// [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 2 2015, 11:36pm

Post #7 of 11 (1279 views)
Shortcut
The SOUND @ the FUNERAL could be [In reply to] Can't Post

Very Fullfilling...Tear inducing...Spectacularly Whoa-full..

Bomby is Hoping it is a
Bone-Chilling...
MASSIVE
Maori Men's Chorus
.. a sorta
Dwarvish "Gregorian Chant"...Like "Carmina Burana" !!

Now, this could have been Held Back from US
once it was Decided
the Funeral was such a Huge Scene..

We might not have been able to
PRY Ourselves Out Of Our
SEATS...
as we melt onto the Floor.
...a puddle...

Destroyed by the
Durin's
Deaths ...

WE can Hope
can't we?
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Gianna
Rohan

Jun 3 2015, 1:06am

Post #8 of 11 (1254 views)
Shortcut
Yes - if they show the coronation, Balin MUST crown Dain! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 3 2015, 8:00am

Post #9 of 11 (1175 views)
Shortcut
If anyone, then Balin, yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Or Dain himself (that might actually work the best).

However, I think his coronation or coming coronation should just be mentioned, as well as Bard's role as new leader.

The focus should be on the funeral at which all these things can be mentioned.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 3 2015, 12:26pm

Post #10 of 11 (1136 views)
Shortcut
Interesting question [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't really have any information from Tolkien about this do we? So I guess if the coronation were to be shown the film makers could do whatever felt best for the movie and since Balin is a much-loved elder figure and since the dwarves don't appear to have anything comparable to an Archbishop of Canterbury, Balin would be a good choice.

It would work politically, too, since Balin is next in line to the throne after Dain and his son, so for Balin to crown Dain would be a public statement that he accepts Dain as King.

In human societies, at least, it's always a good thing when the person next in line publicly accepts the new king and swears fealty - it makes the new king a lot less nervous. Smile I'm currently reading a book about the 19th century exploration of Africa and the search for the sources of the Nile, and one of the people mentioned is a king who immediately killed 60 of his brothers as soon as he took the throne - I guess that's another way for a king to sleep easily at night. Shocked

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 3 2015, 3:31pm

Post #11 of 11 (1093 views)
Shortcut
Balin [In reply to] Can't Post

If there is a coronation then Balin should perform it, giving the action more legitimacy. Unless you are Conan the Cimmerian, crowning yourself is just tacky!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.