The Bag End Auction
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 2 2015, 3:38pm

Post #1 of 36 (2041 views)
Shortcut
The Bag End Auction Can't Post

I'm so glad the auction was included. Back when we were predicting what would and wouldn't be in the movie, I remember never expecting they'd be able to include the auction. I'm so glad I was totally wrong about that WinkSly! It was great to see all the supporting Hobbit characters again. And especially:

Lobelia and the spoons Laugh!

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 2 2015, 3:53pm

Post #2 of 36 (1925 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't imagine how they could squeeze in so much at the end... [In reply to] Can't Post

So much had to be wrapped up and concluded that the auction just didn't seem important enough, and far too slow, to include. Having this huge, epic adventure, learning about the consequences of greed and then instead of ending on a big climax we sit through an argument over ownership of possessions? No.

Yet somehow it worked. I think the main reason it worked was because PJ cut out the other (arguably) more important conclusions. With the funeral and coronation and Dale and all other ends that need to be tied up, it would have felt like RotK again and audiences would lose patience. But without those things it kept a decent pace and didn't feel like it dragged too much.

We'll see how well it works in the EE - I don't mind it being a little long, but I think general viewers wouldn't accept it as much. For an EE, which is made for the fans, that's not really a problem, though.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jun 2 2015, 3:53pm)

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 2 2015, 4:05pm

Post #3 of 36 (1912 views)
Shortcut
Perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a very funny scene! I love it!

darthgandalf99

Jun 2 2015, 4:07pm

Post #4 of 36 (1906 views)
Shortcut
yep [In reply to] Can't Post

The scene worked really well to bring the film to a close on a slightly more light hearted note. It synced it back to the tonality of the book, having diverged for most of the film.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 2 2015, 4:08pm

Post #5 of 36 (1904 views)
Shortcut
Yes - me too.... [In reply to] Can't Post

When scenes I expected to see didn't happen I feared the auction would have been cut so it was a real pleasure to see the pace slow down at the end, with the journey, the conversation with Gandalf and - hooray! - the auction.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 2 2015, 7:01pm

Post #6 of 36 (1822 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit sightings at the auction [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping for two or three more named Hobbits at the auction. Checking the credits, we had:

Lobelia Sackville-Baggins ... Erin Banks
Otho Sackville-Baggins ... Brian Hotter
Master Worrywort ... Timothy Bartlett
Tosser Grubb ... Merv Smith

Fatty Bolger was name-checked (although this would have had to have been the grandfather, an uncle or older cousin of the Fatty Bolger of LotR). I had some reason to believe that we could have also gotten the Mayor of Michel Delving (with actor Shane Briant rumored to have been cast in the role).

And, frankly, I was hoping for cameos by Drogo Baggins and young Primula Brandybuck, the future parents of Frodo Baggins. Well, maybe in the extended edition!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 2 2015, 7:03pm)

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 2 2015, 8:59pm

Post #7 of 36 (1778 views)
Shortcut
Meh [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't stand Lobelia's design. I don't know there's just something about it that bugs the heck out of me Laugh And I'm usually head over heels for the designs and costumes in these movies. But that 'floating' hat... ugh. And yes, I get that it's the point to have her look like that I'm not an idiot Laugh I just don't like it.

Anyway I can think of other things I would have liked to have in the movie more, but I like that it's in. The bittersweet feeling of seeing Bilbo finally home, but everything's gone and just yeah. I felt so sorry for him. He lost three friends, had to say goodbye to his dwarven friends and comes home to his home basically gone too.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 2 2015, 10:53pm

Post #8 of 36 (1742 views)
Shortcut
Two things about Bilbo's return really stand out for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

The first thing he notices is his mother's 'glory box' being carried away - and the first time I heard that it took me straight back to Fili and Kili's arrival at Bag End, which in turn packed an emotional punch because it was a reminder that they were dead .

The second is Bilbo's response to the question "Who's this Thorin Oakenshield?" As Bilbo is saying goodbye to Balin he tries to put into words what Thorin meant to him and he can't do it. "he was my.... he was my...." On the doorstep of Bag End he finds the words - "He was my friend." Lovely subtle piece of writing and acting.

leonmuse
Rivendell

Jun 3 2015, 3:32am

Post #9 of 36 (1698 views)
Shortcut
Lobelia's age [In reply to] Can't Post

let me go ahead and ask these questions.

How old is Lobelia supposed to be in the movie when Bilbo meets her? is she like 25?

and, if she is 25 at that time, then 60 years later she is 85. but her appearance isn't of someone that age when we see her at Fellowship.

am i being nitpicky or is it a fair observation?

thanks in advance!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 3 2015, 6:09am

Post #10 of 36 (1651 views)
Shortcut
Re: Lobelia's age [In reply to] Can't Post

Prof. Tolkien does not seem to have assigned a year-of-birth to Lobelia Sackville-Baggins. Robert Foster, in The Complete Guide to Middle-earth, notes that she was born sometime before TA 2920 and that she died in the year 3020 at over 100 years old. Other sources state that she was born in 2918. Lobelia would have been approximately 82 years old at the time of Bilbo's elventy-first birthday in Peter Jackson's LotR:FotR.

As a Hobbit, Lobelia in TA 3000 would have been equivalent to a human woman in her mid-50s. Her actress, Elizabeth Moody, turned 61 in 2001, so I would say that her appearance was bang-on!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 3 2015, 6:16am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 3 2015, 6:22am

Post #11 of 36 (1644 views)
Shortcut
I can't unsee that now! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But that 'floating' hat... ugh. And yes, I get that it's the point to have her look like that I'm not an idiot Laugh I just don't like it.

That does look ... odd!

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 3 2015, 8:02am

Post #12 of 36 (1628 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was glad to see it as well.

The last ten minutes of BotFA are the best scenes of all three movies, imho. And feel the way the trilogy imho should have felt like in general.

The sad thing is that apparantly there was only time for it by deleting almost the entire ending of the Erebor/Dale plot.

(Btw: the hat of Lobelia is one of the few poor designs in these films.)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jun 3 2015, 8:03am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 3 2015, 8:18am

Post #13 of 36 (1624 views)
Shortcut
Thinking about this.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The sad thing is that apparantly there was only time for it by deleting almost the entire ending of the Erebor/Dale plot.

Yes, that is sad if it was a straightforward choice - this scene or this but not both - but I'd go back one stage and say the sad thing is that had it not been for the decision to keep this film shorter than all the others they could presumably have included both.

In the time they had they seem to have chosen to focus on Bilbo's relationship with Thorin, which I think was a good choice, but if the film had been longer.... And we don't know why it wasn't. It's all speculation. I think there's a lot about what went on behind the scenes of these films that we don't really know.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 3 2015, 8:21am

Post #14 of 36 (1615 views)
Shortcut
Behind the scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's all speculation. I think there's a lot about what went on behind the scenes of these films that we don't really know.

Yes, though the fact remains that I think the final outcome was mediocre to bad... I'd like to believe that the studio was involved in many of the things I dislike.

But in the end it doesn't matter when it comes to my overall (non-) enjoyment of these movies. They are as they are. The reason "why" they are as they are doesn't really make it better (or worse).

(It matters, however, when generally speaking about PJ and his team as director, editors and screenwriters, of course. That is why I would like to believe that a lot of what happened was not entirely up to them.)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jun 3 2015, 8:23am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 3 2015, 8:53am

Post #15 of 36 (1608 views)
Shortcut
Well yes, they are indeed.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it's simply that they give me the feel of a project completed against the odds.

And that's from the point of view of someone who really loves the films. I know it's an unpopular view around here now - the forum has been haemorrhaging posters who enjoy the films or just want to have fun talking about them. But I do love them - perhaps even more because I sense that the people involved had a really hard time making them happen. Sitting in the cinema, with no one else's opinion to come between me and the screen, I thoroughly enjoyed BotFA. It had me on the edge of my seat from the moment Smaug began his attack on Laketown. I don't think anyone could have bettered those opening scenes, they're amazing.

A lot of things happened in a way I didn't expect, but for me that's a good thing - in principle, at least - and nothing disappointed. There are some wonderful scenes, I think, both quiet moments between characters and shots that have that pure visual beauty Peter Jackson has always achieved. The only thing that seemed odd to me on first view was the transition between the horns blowing in Dale and Bilbo saying goodbye to the dwarves. When we saw the dwarves kneeling around Thorin and the horns blowing it seemed to be a natural lead in to the funeral, or some other formal resolution between the survivors of the battle. I was bewildered when suddenly there was Bilbo saying goodbye. But his farewell to the dwarves was so perfect in itself, as were all of the closing scenes, crowned by the beautiful end titles, that I left feeling much as I did at the end of RotK - loving the film but wanting more of it.

So I look forward to the EE not to 'fix' anything but simply to give me more of a film I enjoyed. I look forward to the commentaries and appendices as well, though I still sense that there's a story there we will probably never know.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 3 2015, 8:58am

Post #16 of 36 (1596 views)
Shortcut
And the last thing I would want is questioning your love for them [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 3 2015, 9:35am

Post #17 of 36 (1584 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Arannir..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish there were more like you Smile

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 3 2015, 9:54am

Post #18 of 36 (1581 views)
Shortcut
One way to look @ the Auction Scene..? [In reply to] Can't Post

After an Adventure of Special Magnificence
Bilbo returns to a simple squabble
between neighbors &
with his only enemy,
Lobelia?

Her petty greed doesn't even come close to
Dragon sickness,
so he has gained a Tremendous perspective
on what attachments to possessions are.

She would be the last person who would understand
what he has just been through..

Which could be a major lesson Tolkien was trying to teach
his kids, & therefore us, his readers.

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jun 3 2015, 9:55am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 3 2015, 9:57am

Post #19 of 36 (1575 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's a good way of looking at it... [In reply to] Can't Post

But he still takes his spoons back! Wink

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jun 3 2015, 10:14am

Post #20 of 36 (1565 views)
Shortcut
Merv Smith [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh gosh, I did not recognise Merv Smith as Tosser Grub!

" For twenty five years Merv Smith was a house-hold name as he fronted the breakfast show on Auckland’s 1ZB, New Zealand’s first commercial radio station. Thousands tuned in to the Early Bird show every morning to hear Merv, his Scottish spider friend McHairy, and his ubiquitous train whistle."

I used to listen to the Early Bird show as a tiny girl, and I drew a picture of McHairy, which my mum sent to the show and he talked about on air. 20 years later, I worked for the same radio station.
Smile

This Easter past, I visited Hobbiton and stood on the auction site. SmileSmile (am aiming to get a post together on this, when my procrastination ends)

"Then the bells shall ring in gladness at the Mountain King's return... but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 3 2015, 11:52am

Post #21 of 36 (1545 views)
Shortcut
There were some great moments in the auction scene [In reply to] Can't Post

The expression on Bilbo's face and in his voice when he said that Thorin had been his friend were so moving and so sad that it really summed up everything that had happened between them. I thought it was a wonderful moment, as was the entire scene inside the empty house. I don't know how others saw that scene, but when Bilbo entered his empty house I related it to the destruction of Erebor and how Thorin must have felt when he returned to the ruins of his beloved home, and perhaps Bilbo totally understood for the first time what Thorin was feeling when he finally returned to Erebor. It was a sort of hobbit-sized 'Sacking of Bag End' by friendly but greedy hobbits and fortunately with a happier ending for Bilbo than for Thorin - paperwork and legal proceedings instead than orcs and dragons.

The shift to old Bilbo at the end was really nice, too. After the first time I saw BOTFA at the theater I watched Fellowship the next day and it was a perfect bridge between the two, really nice.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jun 3 2015, 12:48pm

Post #22 of 36 (1515 views)
Shortcut
PJ did tell us that Lobelia was going to appear. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's in the commentary for the AUJ EE disk. Given that, it just had to be the auction scene, so I was expecting it. Have to say that I think this scene, along with the (extended edition) introductions at Beorn's house are two examples of flawless adaptation of the book. Tells the same story, but in a way that fits the pace and narrative of the film. (And I like Lobelia's hat - or rather, I think it's appropriate to her character.)

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 3 2015, 1:01pm

Post #23 of 36 (1514 views)
Shortcut
Me either [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the auction just didn't seem important enough, and far too slow

I was thinking along those lines too. And then as it turned out, it was the perfect way to really bring Bilbo back home. It was like having a wide angle, panoramic view and then focusing in up close on a detail, to Bilbo returning home from his adventures out there in the wide world, to being back here home in the Shire. Now I look at it that way, I can't believe I ever thought it wouldn't be included Crazy. Ah that 20/20 hindsight Smile .

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 3 2015, 1:17pm

Post #24 of 36 (1503 views)
Shortcut
Humor [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's a very funny scene!

It was! I especially laughed at Bilbo's double-take when Lobelia looked straight at him and asked, "Who are you?". And also when the auctioneer was going to read all the details of the contract and Bilbo said, "A contract of employment as a ... as a ... nevermind as what."

LaughSly

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 3 2015, 1:23pm

Post #25 of 36 (1498 views)
Shortcut
Homecoming for Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The scene worked really well to bring the film to a close on a slightly more light hearted note

That it did. The Shire scenes are so idyllic and peaceful. It always seems like such a wonderful place to live (even when your neighbors are walking off with your furniture) Wink.

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Jun 3 2015, 1:23pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.