First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 3 2015, 1:45pm

Post #26 of 36 (598 views)
Shortcut
The transition [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The shift to old Bilbo at the end was really nice, too. After the first time I saw BOTFA at the theater I watched Fellowship the next day and it was a perfect bridge between the two, really nice.

Yes I agree! It flows really well from one into the other. Also it seemed to me that Martin Freeman made his characterization of Bilbo his own throughout the entire trilogy. He made it his own and it was amazing. Not until the very, very end - in that scene when he's looking down at the Ring - I think then did he purposely does something very subtle, something in his expression that I can't even pinpoint, I'm not even sure if I imagined it. But to me he suddenly somehow resembles Ian Holm's 'old' Bilbo. I don't know for sure, I've never read anything about it. It just seems that way to me. Fascinating Smile.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 3 2015, 2:08pm

Post #27 of 36 (582 views)
Shortcut
Maybe to make her look pompous and ridiculous [In reply to] Can't Post

and unlikeable - pretty much how Bilbo felt towards her. It would be like to Lobelia to wear not only a fussy hat, but a tall fussy hat, and then to deliberately perch it as tippy tippy top as she could, to stand out and above everyone else even more.
Unless of course it was like that so she could stash stuff in there Sly. Hmm ... I wonder if Bilbo counted all the spoons afterwards Wink.

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Jun 3 2015, 2:08pm)

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jun 3 2015, 2:26pm

Post #28 of 36 (583 views)
Shortcut
He did it at the beginning of AUJ too. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the early scenes, he seems to be subtly referencing Ian Holm's speech patterns - just enough to establish the link between the old Bilbo and this new, younger version. So, whichever order you watch the two trilogies, there's a definite continuity between the two.

In Reply To

In Reply To
The shift to old Bilbo at the end was really nice, too. After the first time I saw BOTFA at the theater I watched Fellowship the next day and it was a perfect bridge between the two, really nice.

Yes I agree! It flows really well from one into the other. Also it seemed to me that Martin Freeman made his characterization of Bilbo his own throughout the entire trilogy. He made it his own and it was amazing. Not until the very, very end - in that scene when he's looking down at the Ring - I think then did he purposely does something very subtle, something in his expression that I can't even pinpoint, I'm not even sure if I imagined it. But to me he suddenly somehow resembles Ian Holm's 'old' Bilbo. I don't know for sure, I've never read anything about it. It just seems that way to me. Fascinating Smile.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jun 3 2015, 4:40pm

Post #29 of 36 (564 views)
Shortcut
I loved it. [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite thing in that scene was the sign from the book,
http://screencapped.net/...56#top_display_media and Bilbos line "You know exactly who I am, Lobelia Sackville Baggins.",
and the spoons.

(This post was edited by Smaug the iron on Jun 3 2015, 4:43pm)

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2015, 10:56pm

Post #30 of 36 (527 views)
Shortcut
It was nice to see [In reply to] Can't Post

A face that could curdle milk!

Kim
Valinor

Jun 4 2015, 3:22am

Post #31 of 36 (517 views)
Shortcut
"paperwork and legal proceedings instead than orcs and dragons" [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know, sounds like kind of a toss up to me! Wink

The expression on Bilbo's face and in his voice when he said that Thorin had been his friend were so moving and so sad that it really summed up everything that had happened between them. I thought it was a wonderful moment, as was the entire scene inside the empty house. I don't know how others saw that scene, but when Bilbo entered his empty house I related it to the destruction of Erebor and how Thorin must have felt when he returned to the ruins of his beloved home, and perhaps Bilbo totally understood for the first time what Thorin was feeling when he finally returned to Erebor. It was a sort of hobbit-sized 'Sacking of Bag End' by friendly but greedy hobbits and fortunately with a happier ending for Bilbo than for Thorin - paperwork and legal proceedings instead than orcs and dragons.

I never quite put it all together, but I like the way you've expressed this, especially the parallel between Thorin returning to Erebor and Bilbo returning to Bag End. Smile

Kim
Valinor

Jun 4 2015, 3:33am

Post #32 of 36 (513 views)
Shortcut
Not an unpopular view IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

... it's simply that they give me the feel of a project completed against the odds.

And that's from the point of view of someone who really loves the films. I know it's an unpopular view around here now - the forum has been haemorrhaging posters who enjoy the films or just want to have fun talking about them. But I do love them - perhaps even more because I sense that the people involved had a really hard time making them happen.

In fact, a very welcome view. Smile I haven't had as much time to post lately as I would like, but I always find myself agreeing with your posts, and really appreciate that you take the time to make them, and speak for a lot of us who feel the same way.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jun 4 2015, 7:00am

Post #33 of 36 (492 views)
Shortcut
What she said. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Noria
Gondor

Jun 4 2015, 1:26pm

Post #34 of 36 (471 views)
Shortcut
dormouse, you are not alone. [In reply to] Can't Post

I too have not have had much to me to post recently and may have less time in the next month or so, so I appreciate your continuing to post your positive opinions of the of the Hobbit movies.

BOTFA is my least favourite film of the two trilogies, not because of anything that occurs in it or how it looks, which I love, but because it feels truncated to me. The transition between the trumpets of Dale and Bilbo's goodbye that you mention is a good example of that.

But though I would have made different choices about editing, that is what to include and exclude, where to trim and so on, I like BOTFA a lot. After five viewings in theatres, I've watched it several times on DVD and still enjoy it.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 4 2015, 2:01pm

Post #35 of 36 (458 views)
Shortcut
Noria I am in agreement [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I too have not have had much to me to post recently and may have less time in the next month or so, so I appreciate your continuing to post your positive opinions of the of the Hobbit movies.

BOTFA is my least favourite film of the two trilogies, not because of anything that occurs in it or how it looks, which I love, but because it feels truncated to me. The transition between the trumpets of Dale and Bilbo's goodbye that you mention is a good example of that.

But though I would have made different choices about editing, that is what to include and exclude, where to trim and so on, I like BOTFA a lot. After five viewings in theatres, I've watched it several times on DVD and still enjoy it.

Film wise I concur. I do still enjoy it though, more so with time and finding more little gems. I have also not posted much: its just too exhausting to merely like or want to enjoy something that is so apparently disliked by so many very energetic people. Laugh

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jun 4 2015, 2:02pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 4 2015, 2:02pm

Post #36 of 36 (453 views)
Shortcut
What they both said. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

... it's simply that they give me the feel of a project completed against the odds.

And that's from the point of view of someone who really loves the films. I know it's an unpopular view around here now - the forum has been haemorrhaging posters who enjoy the films or just want to have fun talking about them. But I do love them - perhaps even more because I sense that the people involved had a really hard time making them happen. (DM)

In fact, a very welcome view. Smile I haven't had as much time to post lately as I would like, but I always find myself agreeing with your posts, and really appreciate that you take the time to make them, and speak for a lot of us who feel the same way. (Kim)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.