Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why Peter Jackson omitted Thorin's Funeral?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 1 2015, 11:07pm

Post #1 of 52 (2438 views)
Shortcut
Why Peter Jackson omitted Thorin's Funeral? Can't Post

Don't show Dain's coronation I agree, because he appeared for a short time and was not very developed. But omit Thorin's Funeral? KING'S FUNERAL?

Why Peter Jackson? Five minutes don't consume a lot of time!!

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 1 2015, 11:27pm

Post #2 of 52 (2358 views)
Shortcut
a few reasons [In reply to] Can't Post

1. For a general audience, his farewell to Bilbo was enough. As was Tauriel sobbing over Kili's body. And that blond dwarf doesn't matter anyway.

2. People complained about RotK having "too many endings" and wanted to avoid that this time.

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 1 2015, 11:35pm

Post #3 of 52 (2350 views)
Shortcut
November... [In reply to] Can't Post

But in the extended edition they won't avoid

Bishop
Gondor

Jun 2 2015, 12:04am

Post #4 of 52 (2334 views)
Shortcut
I disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

Why is it too much for the general audience? There's a good argument to be made that Thorin's story was developed to the same degree, if not more so, than Bilbo's.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 2 2015, 12:10am

Post #5 of 52 (2329 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Don't show Dain's coronation I agree, because he appeared for a short time and was not very developed. But omit Thorin's Funeral? KING'S FUNERAL?

Why Peter Jackson? Five minutes don't consume a lot of time!!

They made a complete mess in the end, leaving many plot holes and doing a disservice to key canon characters, yet wallowed self-indulgently in toilet humour and absolutely stupid Legolas and Turiel added material, including desperate attempts to link these films to LotR (completely unnecessary and badly done). Very unsatisfactory.Unimpressed

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 2 2015, 1:22am

Post #6 of 52 (2296 views)
Shortcut
Richard said something along those lines [In reply to] Can't Post

that it would have been too much. I don't think so either, but then again we haven't seen it yet. It's possible that it will be pretty long, and I've no doubt that we'll all be crying our eyes out. Maybe it really would be too much - I'm not sure I'm ready for this.Pirate

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 2 2015, 1:28am

Post #7 of 52 (2286 views)
Shortcut
Poor Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1. For a general audience, his farewell to Bilbo was enough. As was Tauriel sobbing over Kili's body. And that blond dwarf doesn't matter anyway.

2. People complained about RotK having "too many endings" and wanted to avoid that this time.

It's good to know some people care about him.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 2 2015, 2:37am

Post #8 of 52 (2260 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think it's necessarily a good reason. I'm just guessing/assuming that those were some of the things being considered when they decided to cut it out.

Bishop
Gondor

Jun 2 2015, 2:39am

Post #9 of 52 (2255 views)
Shortcut
Gotcha [In reply to] Can't Post

Well they most certainly had SOME reason to drop the funeral, but whether or not I agree with that reason is another story. Smile

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 2 2015, 2:40am

Post #10 of 52 (2254 views)
Shortcut
Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

If Fili doesn't have at least one significant dialogue scene added into the extended edition, I'm going to remain bitter for quite a long time.

Bofur01
Lorien

Jun 2 2015, 6:52am

Post #11 of 52 (2184 views)
Shortcut
You must remember that apart from RotK and AUJ, Warner Bros. put time limits on the films // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 2 2015, 7:43am

Post #12 of 52 (2171 views)
Shortcut
Why NOT? Sit back & Relax!.. Fully aware...... [In reply to] Can't Post

That We get 30 to MAYBE? 40 more minutes.

Somewhere a couple of weeks ago Posters here discussed
what that could mean.

Re-Cap:
MAYBE 10 minutes of the Funeral,
MAYBE 5 minutes more of Dol Guldur,
MAYBE 5 minutes of Beorn fighting & carrying Thorin back to Erebor,
MAYBE 3 minutes of the Chariot & more Battle,
MAYBE 3 minutes more of scenes in Dale {Afrid's Death}

AND that Total is only 26 minutes there..SSOoo there could be
More the return journey ( a Christmas Time visit @ Beorn's House )
Bilbo does have a Chess piece from Beorn's?
.. & it's Springtime
when we say our Final Farewell to Gandalf...

THIS is PJ's
Final Film in MiddleEARTH,

SSOoo don't you suppose he wants it to Be his
Finest Farewell?

Bomby thinks,
he does.

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jun 2 2015, 7:51am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 2 2015, 8:04am

Post #13 of 52 (2150 views)
Shortcut
OH? there.. is ONE more thing to Think about? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a very relaxed atmosphere in Miramar
@Least for PJ.

James Cameron has the Studios rented for his 3 films
but PJ can go off somewhere with Jabez &
have a SWEET Time finishing, Polishing, & Refining the
Final Edit without all the Studio pressures.

He doesn't have a Crew of thousands to worry about
NOW!
Heart

www.charlie-art.biz

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 2 2015, 8:04am

Post #14 of 52 (2147 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't you love the movie at first? Sad to see that you feel unsatisfied now as well... there must be a support group Unsure

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 2 2015, 8:24am

Post #15 of 52 (2128 views)
Shortcut
Just NOW checked on Avatar's production... [In reply to] Can't Post

Joe Letteri, Head of Special Effects or something like that
@ Weta Digital said there is a LOT of preliminary work,
groundwork discussions, infastruture, & Logistics,etc..

SSOoo
it seems that shooting hasn't really started,
But
Bom guesses that the Mo-Cap stages are
Building a huge Bank of Movements that
we will see eventually.

One time to remember?

Miramar is the STATE-of-The-ART
most cutting edge film production Facilities in
The World,,,
SSOoo none of them want to produce
an Inferior product. The Least of which, is the Final CUT
of beloved HOBBIT..
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jun 2 2015, 8:25am)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 2 2015, 9:31am

Post #16 of 52 (2096 views)
Shortcut
I still do love much of the film [In reply to] Can't Post

However, having taken a break from it and these forums for several months, I can no longer ignore the aspects that I dislike (basically a continuation of the things I disliked in DoS, only intensified), and the numerous plot holes.

I reserve the right to alter my opinion again, though I doubt I'll ever be an apologist for, or accept (let alone like) the elements I find so abhorrent in the film.

Such a shame, because these films could have been so brilliant. A wasted opportunity…

In Reply To
Didn't you love the movie at first? Sad to see that you feel unsatisfied now as well... there must be a support group Unsure

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 2 2015, 9:48am

Post #17 of 52 (2079 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jun 2 2015, 10:13am

Post #18 of 52 (2068 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like me [In reply to] Can't Post

The way you describe how you feel about the film feels like how I do too and many others as well. There's things in the movie I quite love, but end is so messy it really ruins the flow of the movie. The first time I saw the movie at the premiere I had enjoyed it quite a lot, but already then there were something that didn't sit right with me. At the time my thoughts were all over the place though so after the second time I didn't get the need to see it at theater again like I thought I would.
I thought I would love and adore this movie so much I'd want to see it maaaany times. So the disappointment kind of killed it.

I know some sees it as 'creepy' for whatever reason that people wish the funeral was in the movie - which I find rather rude calling people creepy for their opinion. Maybe not for them, but for me a funeral would feel more finished and less rushed if it was in.

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Jun 2 2015, 10:43am

Post #19 of 52 (2054 views)
Shortcut
How long it will be [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully 5 minutes will be the maximum time given to the inevitable funeral and not 10 as mentioned elsewhere. I think 5 minutes (or less) would be sufficient to provide closure (unless they add Dain's coronation to the same scene). I really don't want to look at Fili's corpse for 10 minutes, you know?

All I want is for it to be well done. PJ missed the mark on BOTFA regarding emotional impact (beside a couple of moments here and there, but it did not come close to ROTK in that way).

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 2 2015, 10:54am

Post #20 of 52 (2049 views)
Shortcut
Imho it was a logical and unmissable scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

... connecting it with the Arkenstone, Bard, Beorn and Dain, of course.

Natural ending to this part of the story before it moves back to the Hobbit. Not as moving and natural, probably, as it could have been as we already have two mourning scenes (one imho over-shadowing the really important one) but still a much needed conclusion.

Not everything in a movie has to be explained. Things can be up for interpretation and guessing.

But the way the Arkenstone and some of the other storylines were introduced and used it was imho simply bad storytelling to go for lazy horn blowing scene that so obviously belongs to a scene not seen. Especially looking at some of the stuff they did take the time to show and tell.

I also do not get the RotK-thing.

First, the reviews were medicore anyway - so trying to avoid that criticism wasn't entirely successfull. Second, RotK is an universally acclaimed and highly decorated movie that made over $1 billion in 2003/04. Who exactly saw any kind of damage that its multiple endings caused? Third, one could have used the funeral as a stage to wrap up nearly all storylines except for Bilbo's. There was no need for a coronation or anything like this... the wrapping up could have been done in one single scene. With that scene it all would have still been much shorter than the ending of RotK.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 2 2015, 10:58am

Post #21 of 52 (2042 views)
Shortcut
It's not creepy at all [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I know some sees it as 'creepy' for whatever reason that people wish the funeral was in the movie - which I find rather rude calling people creepy for their opinion. Maybe not for them, but for me a funeral would feel more finished and less rushed if it was in.

For me, among other things it was essential to see the funeral at the end and I was expecting it. It could have resolved a few things (though not all plot holes), e.g. Thranduil/Arkenstone, and put a full stop to the story – and it is an integral part of Tolkien's story.

Instead what we got was an incoherent ending that really said little about what the outcome of all the events was, except that Bilbo went home.

I'm afraid that the desperation to shovel in bad references to LotR (courtesy of Legolas and Turiel) in the last two films is a large part of what did it for this trilogy. (Additionally, the increasing use of completely inappropriate, unfunny toilet humour in the interest of 'having fun' was a very annoying aspect of the films.)

I thought the final film would be my favourite of the three, but though I love certain things about it, such as the portrayal of Thorin and the Smaug sequence, I think AUJ is my favourite. I think that after a good introduction in AUJ, the Dwarves (apart from Thorin) were left in limbo. I do think Balin and Dwalin and the Irish one were good characters (and played by decent actors) and I wanted to see more of them in particular. (I wasn't too exercised about not seeing all that much of the other Dwarves, however.) Most of all, though, I would have liked the gaping plot holes to be filled, several questions to have been answered, and canon characters such as Beorn and Thranduil (both portrayed well) to have been developed in favour of all the nonsense…

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 2 2015, 11:09am

Post #22 of 52 (2039 views)
Shortcut
'Toilet Humour' [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you entirely about Legolas and Tauriel, but I notice you keep using this term. Aside from a possible early quip by the Master of Laketown, I'm struggling to think of anything in this film that would qualify as 'toilet humour'. Maybe I'm forgetting things. If you're using the term in relation to Alfrid's antics, you might call them goofy (or even unfunny), but not toilet humour. If anything, I would say there was less 'toilet humour' in this film than in the previous two (I'm thinking of Bilbo and the trolls and the scene with Alfrid and the bedpan especially, not to mention Kili's trousers quip).

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 2 2015, 12:05pm

Post #23 of 52 (1997 views)
Shortcut
I'm actually referring to all three films [In reply to] Can't Post

And the term 'toilet humour' is what I prefer to use as a blanket term when it comes to 'jokes' containing things such as burping, snot, Radagast's facial make-up, individuals emerging from toilets, unmentionable stuff below the Goblin King's throne, eating 'testicles', throwing food around, 'what's it got in its trousers?' and, yes, Alfrid. All PJ's favourites, no doubt, but completely inappropriate for stories based on Tolkien books, and things that do immeasurable harm to the films, in my view. I can overlook one or two such things (without liking them in the least), but there were far too many of them in the films…

In Reply To
I agree with you entirely about Legolas and Tauriel, but I notice you keep using this term. Aside from a possible early quip by the Master of Laketown, I'm struggling to think of anything in this film that would qualify as 'toilet humour'. Maybe I'm forgetting things. If you're using the term in relation to Alfrid's antics, you might call them goofy (or even unfunny), but not toilet humour. If anything, I would say there was less 'toilet humour' in this film than in the previous two (I'm thinking of Bilbo and the trolls and the scene with Alfrid and the bedpan especially, not to mention Kili's trousers quip).

Shagrat
Gondor

Jun 2 2015, 12:20pm

Post #24 of 52 (1984 views)
Shortcut
Well in that case [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see how it got worse after DoS. If anything, BOTFA had the least amount of toilet humour. You can't really describe Alfrid's moments as that. They're just... painfully unfunny humour.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Jun 2 2015, 12:51pm

Post #25 of 52 (1970 views)
Shortcut
Warner Bros. did not put a time limit on any of the LOTR films, [In reply to] Can't Post

because WB was not involved in the LOTR trilogy...that was New Line Cinemas. Wink Though I too have heard that a time limit was put on BOTFA (I did not hear such things in re to DOS), and it's probably not the first time a studio has put a time limit on a film...otherwise there would be a lot more films with run times of 180 mins or longer.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.