The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Witch King at Dol Goldur - EE?

Faramir74
Bree

Jun 1 2015, 7:50pm

Post #1 of 14 (1452 views)
Shortcut
Witch King at Dol Goldur - EE? Can't Post

I am really hoping to see more of the Nazgul, in particular the Witch-king, during the Dol Goldur sequence in the EE version.

Why do I say this? If I'm not mistaken he is included in the Lego DG set. It is the WK voice who recites the Ring poem. And don't forget that the entire DG scene is quite choppy from beginning to end, which makes me think there is more to see of The Nine before the battle.

Of course I could be completely off the mark with my assumption and the only extra Dol Goldur sequence is the Three Rings and/or a Palantir scene. Here's hoping!

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jun 1 2015, 8:03pm

Post #2 of 14 (1404 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

it is Saruons voice who saying the ring poem

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 1 2015, 8:28pm

Post #3 of 14 (1378 views)
Shortcut
WE did see him & Radagast took his Blade [In reply to] Can't Post

early in AUJ...Now how he gets it BACK..?
is the real question that hasn't been shown.
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Faramir74
Bree

Jun 1 2015, 8:50pm

Post #4 of 14 (1356 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a good question Bomby.

However, it raises several answers: when he stabs Frodo on Weathertop is it with A Morgul blade or THE Morgul blade? How were all the Nazgul re-equipped for the Dol Goldur battle? Or is that how they were buried in their armour?

Perhaps the blade is stolen or lost from Radagast when he arrives at Dol Goldur.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 1 2015, 9:31pm

Post #5 of 14 (1326 views)
Shortcut
It's the same Blade that stabbed Frodo. [In reply to] Can't Post

That was confirmed a long time ago...
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 1 2015, 10:57pm

Post #6 of 14 (1276 views)
Shortcut
He's there [In reply to] Can't Post

The Witchy-King appears for a moment, in the front of the others Nazgul.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 2 2015, 2:52am

Post #7 of 14 (1205 views)
Shortcut
blade [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure someone (PJ or Philippa Boyens) said that there was a scene shot showing how the Witch King got the Morgul blade back. The entire Dol Guldur sequence felt incredibly truncated. I'm hoping they give it some much needed attention in the extended cut. Not just to have more material, but to fix the pacing and remove that terrible reused shot of Radagast...

It's been confirmed that there will be new Dol Guldur stuff, which involves Sauron's interest in the Three Elf Rings, so hopefully there's other stuff too.

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 2 2015, 3:41pm

Post #8 of 14 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Did you know it's NOT the Witch King that attacks Radagast in AUJ? [In reply to] Can't Post

In AUJ, a wraith appears and attacks Radagast with the Morgul Blade, and we all assume it's the Witch King.

BUT, if you compare this wraith with the Witch King in Fellowship of the Ring, you can see by the crown that it's actually the Nazgúl stood to the Witch King's right when Frodo gets stabbed. According to the card game this is Khamul.

In the books Khamul commanded Dol Guldur after Sauron was driven out. He repeatedly attacked Lorien and Thranduil's Halls before Galadriel and Thranduil joined forces to drive Khamul out and destroy the fortress. Spin off movie anyone?

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jun 2 2015, 3:42pm)

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Jun 2 2015, 3:46pm

Post #9 of 14 (1043 views)
Shortcut
Um, it IS the Witchking... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think PJ confirmed it was the Witchking, but they changed his crown to look like Khamul's, for reasons unknown.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 3 2015, 8:10am

Post #10 of 14 (911 views)
Shortcut
Probably Khamul had the "cooler" crown. [In reply to] Can't Post

So why not change it... and change the helmet (probably one of the most recognizable helmets ever created for the movies, but who cares?!) of the Witch-King while you are at it. Crazy

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Jun 3 2015, 8:45am

Post #11 of 14 (900 views)
Shortcut
Witchking's helmet... [In reply to] Can't Post

When the Nazgul appear all in front of the Great Eye in BOTFA, is the one at the foremost the Witchking? If yes, they might have changed his helmet because it was made during the War of the Ring, he most likely wore a different helmet when ruling Angmar.

(This post was edited by ThorinsNemesis on Jun 3 2015, 8:47am)

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 3 2015, 8:47am

Post #12 of 14 (897 views)
Shortcut
I know that there are logical reasons for it... [In reply to] Can't Post

... personally, however, I would have just gone with the RotK design.

(Btw: I know this is nit-picking... it is not one of the things that actually make me dislike the movie.)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Jun 3 2015, 8:49am)

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Jun 3 2015, 8:49am

Post #13 of 14 (894 views)
Shortcut
ROTK design [In reply to] Can't Post

would have raised critics among Tolkien fans, saying the helmet was made during the War of the Ring and it would have been a lore violation according to them. Personally I find the look of the Nazgul in BOTFA interesting.

Arannir
Valinor

Jun 3 2015, 8:51am

Post #14 of 14 (891 views)
Shortcut
I like their general look, as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.