More work needed by actors for BOFA EE?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Jeffrodo
Bree

Jun 1 2015, 11:10am

Post #1 of 37 (1920 views)
Shortcut
More work needed by actors for BOFA EE? Can't Post

I asked Jed Brophy via Facebook if he would need to do any additional work for the Extended Edition and he said:

I am not intirely sure....it may well be that there is aditional ADR ...i myself did adr for scenes that were not in the origanal theatrical cut ....so it is anyones guess xxjedi

Legolas_Shoehorn
Bree

Jun 1 2015, 12:21pm

Post #2 of 37 (1800 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if... [In reply to] Can't Post

... PJ and his team could re-build * re-assemble * re-edit the original Two Movie version with all the material that was shot.

My English is not that good, my Elvish is better ;-)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 1 2015, 1:10pm

Post #3 of 37 (1761 views)
Shortcut
I doubt it [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... PJ and his team could re-build * re-assemble * re-edit the original Two Movie version with all the material that was shot.

Perhaps they will delete all the toilet humour, Legolas and Turiel from all three films, and fill in the many plot holes they ended up with? Then we might get films worthy of being paired with LotR as far as the tone and story are concerned. (Wishful thinking, methinks.)Angelic

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jun 1 2015, 1:10pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jun 1 2015, 1:23pm

Post #4 of 37 (1739 views)
Shortcut
It is the property of the studio(s) now....Warner, MGM, New LIne, WingNut, 3Foot 7 etc. [In reply to] Can't Post

Goldeneye
Lorien

Jun 1 2015, 2:54pm

Post #5 of 37 (1676 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be great. It would essentially eliminate the need for me and many others to create fanedits, if Peter Jackson were to simply make one himself lol.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 1 2015, 2:55pm

Post #6 of 37 (1677 views)
Shortcut
*Sigh* - I wish PJ had read the critc who commented re the BOFA pace... [In reply to] Can't Post

Something to the effect that the BOFA pace suggested that PJ just "couldn't wait to be done with the whole thing".

A thought that actually did float across my mind in re-watches of BOFA, e.g., I am not sure what this overall "thriller pace" was supposed to accomplish.Unsure

My "doable" BOFA wish list:
1) Re-edit the whole thing and have PJ take his foot off the gas pedal, so to speak. Including the music - the dwarves arriving at Erebor is so briefFrown, I could do with a few more seconds of that, Fili & co. taking in the burned Dale and magnificent Erebor - along w. the haunting score. After all, this is Fili and Kili's legacy, and ostensibly the first time all but possibly Oin have seen Erebor.Unsure

2) Cut the Gundabad stuff down re Legolas and Tauriel, and show more of that amazing structure instead.

3) Re-edit the Legolas end stuff - for one thing, I'm just settling into the Thorin/Azog fight and then there's this insert of Legolas calling for Tauriel - for me it's jarring and one could interpolate that Legolas would go find Tauriel. It's a nothing "blip" that interrupts the fight flow IMOUnsure.

4) Re-edit the Tauriel/Thranduil/Kili end and remove cheesy lines.

5) I like Alfrid/Ryan GageHeart. But remove Alfrid "filler" which is mostly during battle. Ryan Gage deserves better than that.

6) Put the footage back of "each and every dwarf having their moment"....and battle rams. And the chariot. And the siege engines and the elves firing a volley.

7) Did they never really film anyone looking after Fili??????FrownFrownFrown. And more Fili, period.

8) More Beorn.

9) Fix the CGI re the dwarves/rams/Thranduil in battle - and oh, show more of Thranduil fighting in Dale, it's gloriousHeart and IMO far more interesting than watching the humans fight, which looks like every other group of battling villagers I have ever seen. Except for my man Percy and Hilda, of course.Cool

10) More Thorin, because there's no such thing as too much of the incandescent Richard Armitage's ThorinCoolTongueHeart. Seeing him in battle more would be nice too. CoolTongueHeart

The funeral doesn't make my personal list, because for me it's not a scene that I'd ever watch a lot of - for me the Hobbit is more about the journey itself. Also, re the films, the *evil* thought popped into my head that, great, "you've just removed three of the most interesting characters...."Evil.

But, absolutely no Tauriel crying at funeralUnsure. No long lingering "poignant" face shots or more stuff about the token stone. No Tauriel hugging the Company dwarves or them bowing to her or any stuff like thatMad. No shoehorned-in digital shots of Legolas arriving at some picturesque landscape and taking in the young Aragorn at a distance e.g. no more blatant LOTR references.Frown

COMPLETELY removing Legolas and Tauriel I don't think would ever happen, but I do have a faint, guttering hope that some online grumbling and/or a mixed/tepid audience response to their large presence may have reached PJ or that he himself - since he saw the finished film for the first time at the premier - saw any number of things that bothered him, and is busy revamping the film.Unsure It's been really quiet in the PJ camp, for weeks.

In any case, I just re-watched AUJ this weekend, and re-experienced the joyHeart and these "hairy little guys" and then I think what a travesty it was for BOFA to be SO dwarfless and instead be so elf-overloaded - THAT was an unexpected journey all right, but all things considered, I would rather have had more Bofur, Fili & Kili, the incomparable Balin, Gloin, Dwalin...Frown

Avandel
Half-elven

Jun 1 2015, 3:02pm

Post #7 of 37 (1670 views)
Shortcut
Gloomily [In reply to] Can't Post

It would essentially eliminate the need for me and many others to create fanedits, if Peter Jackson were to simply make one himself lol.

*Snark* As far as I can tell, any "fanedit" of PJ's would reduce the dwarves's screen time even more, and be primarily crammed with Tauriel and Legolas footage, and more long-distance battle CGI.....oh, and some more LOTR references - maybe a glowing palantir discarded in Dol Guldur.

Just in case the audience hasn't figured out by now that there is some sort of relationship between the Hobbit and LOTR....Evil

Goldeneye
Lorien

Jun 1 2015, 3:04pm

Post #8 of 37 (1662 views)
Shortcut
haha [In reply to] Can't Post

Right? Don't forget more Alfrid :)

And what's this I'm now hearing about a palantir in Dol Guldur?

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 1 2015, 3:15pm

Post #9 of 37 (1657 views)
Shortcut
Yes, to this, Avandel [In reply to] Can't Post

Largely without Legolas and Turiel, though, for me, since I feel they added NOTHING of value to the story and just took up valuable space that should have been used to much better effect. However, I would also like to see Thranduil and Beorn developed as full characters, with some back stories, and explanations of things like the white gems and the Arkenstone. I feel that viewers of these films are left hanging at the end, with many questions unanswered, and the end of film three is a mess (one can't even tell what is going on, what with people standing round with trumpets and so on).

The sloppiness is also quite unbelievable – at the end, for example, when Gandalf is saying goodbye to Bilbo, and the camera switches from one to the other, the horses standing next to a tree in the background dramatically change position in each shot, and in one of the shots are entirely missing! It seems astonishing to me that such basic mistakes were made in a production costing so much money and involving so many people…

Really, I suppose, I want to see more character development, and FAR less stupidity and toilet humour (included in the name of 'fun'). There are so many things that are fantastic in these films (for me, especially characters such as Thorin and Bilbo, and the amazing visuals, including the absolutely astonishing Smaug). I feel that by shoving in inappropriate stuff in the name of 'fun', the films have ended up as a lost opportunity – and that's a great shame. I wanted to recapture the feelings I had at the time of LotR (particularly FotR), but have only managed to do this a little…Unimpressed

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jun 1 2015, 3:22pm)

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jun 1 2015, 3:28pm

Post #10 of 37 (1641 views)
Shortcut
The horse [In reply to] Can't Post

is at the same place.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 1 2015, 3:47pm

Post #11 of 37 (1616 views)
Shortcut
Why would they want to? [In reply to] Can't Post

There never was an original two film version. Just a plan which proved unworkable when they tried to edit what they'd already filmed. So knowing it couldn't be done, why would they put themselves through that all over again? Complete waste of time.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 1 2015, 3:48pm

Post #12 of 37 (1608 views)
Shortcut
There is no need for you to do it anyway... // [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 1 2015, 3:59pm

Post #13 of 37 (1589 views)
Shortcut
It's an interesting idea, Jeffrodo.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and it's really good to know that there are scenes with Nori that they got as far as doing adr for which we haven't seen yet. I wouldn't be surprised if there might be or have been extra work done - I know John Howe went back some time ago to work on the EE.

I'm only sorry that your thread has open the floodgates for people to be even more negative and bitchy about the film. This place is becoming more depressing by the day. It would have been so much more interesting to focus on what people might enjoy seeing....

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 1 2015, 4:24pm

Post #14 of 37 (1553 views)
Shortcut
Agree, once again w/ dmouse... [In reply to] Can't Post

Why not just "Let it BE.."

Suggestions for JP to consider
is a Thing of the past.

The Actors contracts have ended.
Any supplemental shots are already in the Can.

These movies were not "CrowdSourced",
so why try to change what is done.
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jun 1 2015, 4:25pm

Post #15 of 37 (1560 views)
Shortcut
PJ has always completed his films at the last minute [In reply to] Can't Post

sometimes it went well, sometimes it didn't.

Botfa was a difficult film: its complexity rivalled Rotk, with the added problem they did not want to repeat the multiple endings.
While Rotk had a more or less positive outcome, Botfa is either bitter sweet or tragic: bitter sweet for Bilbo, tragic for the dwarves.
It was basically a war film, with many added subplots (Alfrid, Tauriel and Kili, Tauriel and Legolas, Dol Guldur) and therefore many loose threads to tie.

I will always repeat that they did not trust the Dwarves: Elves are a sure bet, everybody loves Elves.
Don't they??
Wink Not necessarily.

Maybe I am an exception to the rule: I have consumed the pages of the Appendices dedicated to the Durin's line, way before the Hobbit trilogy was made. I have always nonchalantly skipped the long description of the Elves during the first and second age.

I reckon many people have become attached to Dwarves: thanks to Weta design, but also thanks to the Dwarves themselves, their essence and their history.

The buzz about Botfa EE is endless: it is the film that has to be fixed somehow.
Are we sure that PJ and co. feel the need to fix it? EEs are for completing, and enhancing the stories, not to change them or alter them.
They have made some Elf-oriented choices, they have chosen a perspective that holds Elves and their story-lines in high regard, in a film which is about Dwarves (and a Hobbit).

Sorry, but there won't be any major changes. We should not expect them.
However, I hope that some of this huge buzz will eventually get to them. Just in case. Just for their information.

Mind you, I will be forever grateful to PJ for making this film, for designing the 13 Dwarves as he did, and for choosing Dean o'Gorman as a replacementHeartHeart.

Forever.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 1 2015, 4:26pm

Post #16 of 37 (1546 views)
Shortcut
Er, not on my copy of the disk [In reply to] Can't Post

I have noted the changes of position of the horses (and their disappearance) several times, and they are very noticeable (to me). Perhaps we have different versions of the disks or our eyesights differ (or one of us is wearing rose-tinted glasses)?

In Reply To
is at the same place.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jun 1 2015, 4:31pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 1 2015, 4:29pm

Post #17 of 37 (1525 views)
Shortcut
Also, how do we know John Howe [In reply to] Can't Post

didn't go Back to NZ to work on AVATAR 2,3, &4?

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jun 1 2015, 4:35pm

Post #18 of 37 (1514 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

http://screencapped.net/...61#top_display_media
http://screencapped.net/...87#top_display_media
http://screencapped.net/...53#top_display_media
diffrent angle.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Jun 1 2015, 5:28pm

Post #19 of 37 (1461 views)
Shortcut
Oh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps not for you. But for me, there is indeed a need to do it. And I've received hundreds of messages from people that have echoed the same sentiments.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 1 2015, 5:42pm

Post #20 of 37 (1441 views)
Shortcut
Still odd to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

That scene looked completely wrong to me, given Gandalf's position in relation to Bilbo in the film. I don't know why Gandalf would have moved around in a way that would make the horses disappear, or to be positioned in completely different ways from shot to shot. In fact, I believe it's something I noticed in the cinema, and it puzzled me even them.

Different horses for different courses (as they say). Angelic

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 1 2015, 6:03pm

Post #21 of 37 (1425 views)
Shortcut
You don't need to, you want to.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. there's a difference.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jun 1 2015, 6:08pm

Post #22 of 37 (1412 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf dosen´t move [In reply to] Can't Post

It is the camera angle that moves.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jun 1 2015, 6:11pm

Post #23 of 37 (1414 views)
Shortcut
"Fix" [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if they necessarily think it needs to be "fixed", but there have been hints that PJ wasn't 100% happy with how the theatrical cut turned out, which I don't remember ever really hearing about the other five movies.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Jun 1 2015, 6:15pm

Post #24 of 37 (1411 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say you are not in a position to determine what I need or want Wink

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 1 2015, 6:44pm

Post #25 of 37 (1372 views)
Shortcut
And I'd say that no one, but no one... [In reply to] Can't Post

..needs and fan edit of a film.

Your other needs (and wants) I wouldn't presume to speculate about!!! Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.