The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The gems of Lasgalen and the necklace of Girion

AshNazg
Gondor

May 31 2015, 5:40pm

Post #1 of 7 (982 views)
Shortcut
The gems of Lasgalen and the necklace of Girion Can't Post

I just want to bring up some similarities between these two artefacts.

The Necklace of Girion was a necklace made of emeralds that belonged to Girion Lord of Dale (book only). The White Gems of Lasgalen were/was a chain (probably a necklace) of white gems that belonged to Thranduil. (movie only)

Like the White Gems, the Necklace of Girion fell into the possession of the dwarves after an exchange: Girion gave the necklace in exchange for a coat for his son. The situation with the White Gems, as with everything in the movie, is vague - something about payment.

After the dragon attack, both artefacts become a significant part of the dragon hoard.

In the book Bard reclaims the necklace after the Battle of Five Armies and hands the emeralds to the Elvenking in thanks for his aid.

The move doesn't offer any closure on the gems of Lasgalen, they exist mainly as motivation for Thranduil.

So here are some questions:

-Are the similarities intentional?

-Will we see this plot resolved in the EE?

-If so, when will Thranduil get the gems? Before he decides to flee, or after the battle?

-Will it play out similarly to the book? Will Thranduil offer the gems to Bard? Or will Bard offer them to Thranduil in thanks for the aid?

(This post was edited by AshNazg on May 31 2015, 5:41pm)

Pandallo
Rivendell

May 31 2015, 7:09pm

Post #2 of 7 (908 views)
Shortcut
If the plot line is included... [In reply to] Can't Post

They will probably give this scene to Bilbo who gave the Elvenking a Very Similar necklace in the books. This is probably the best way to reconcile the plot and have it be book-canon in some respects.

AshNazg
Gondor

May 31 2015, 7:40pm

Post #3 of 7 (884 views)
Shortcut
Ah, good point. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd forgotten about that necklace, that does sound like a nice idea.

But I wonder if that really resolves the issues surrounding these gems? Thranduil wants them in remembrance of his late wife- Which makes it a fair and justified claim. But he seems to be willing to start this war over the gems, which is probably not so justified.

Would ending this arc with "I have the gems now, so all is in balance" really be a good conclusion? What does Thranduil learn from that? That his greed and the sacrifice of his people got him what he wanted?

I imagine that after all of this Thranduil would learn that he needs to let the memory of his wife go, that he shouldn't be clouded by his greed for the gems. I think Tauriel's loss will help him look at his own loss in a new light and realise that he doesn't need these gems after all. He should realise that his own motivations in this war were misplaced and selfish. Perhaps when he realises this Bilbo could offer the gems to him and maybe he'll refuse them, or maybe he'll accept them but no longer desire them the way he did before?

Milieuterrien
Rohan

May 31 2015, 7:51pm

Post #4 of 7 (879 views)
Shortcut
Much left to speculation there. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin, Kili and Fili dead, the lead gets to Dain, but also in a certain extent to Balin, Dwalin and Gloin, who are highest ranked remaining dwarves of the company.

Dain doesn't know about the Arkenstone, but Balin is the one Dwarf who somewhat advised Bilbo not to give it to Thorin, so I imagine that Balin will be involved in the transactions about the stone. I guess it will be him, and no Dain, who will agree to the exchange between the Arkenstone and the share of a part of the treasure with Men.

Bilbo will also be highly involved. While he's already been given the Mithril coat, I'm not sure every dwarves will be enthousiastic about his giving the Arkenstone to no-dwarves, but most of them would admit that Thorin had gone a little krank for a while, and Balin will surely intercede in favor of Bilbo

About the share of the treasure Bilbo would ask for himself, I think that he will call to Thranduil's necklace : so it would be him to give back to the Elf King what that one craves for. Dwarves will only have to agree to that transaction, but that's something.

Before that I'm rather confident that he will give his 1/14 th share of the treasure to Laketowners, allowing Bard then to give back the Arkenstone and engage the share on a good way.

I don't see Dain leading all that, even if Tolkien stated that he would, mostly because Dain hasn't been shown as a very benevolent character towards Men and Elves before the beginning of the battle, and also because he knew few and did few about the events in the region which led to the situation.

I imagine that Balin will be the one to turn to him and give him the throne. IMO, Balin could have been crowned King under the Mountain, but I believe his sadness will prevail and he will decline that honour.

(This post was edited by Milieuterrien on May 31 2015, 7:58pm)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

May 31 2015, 8:00pm

Post #5 of 7 (868 views)
Shortcut
The gems/Thranduil's wife [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I imagine that after all of this Thranduil would learn that he needs to let the memory of his wife go, that he shouldn't be clouded by his greed for the gems. I think Tauriel's loss will help him look at his own loss in a new light and realise that he doesn't need these gems after all. He should realise that his own motivations in this war were misplaced and selfish. Perhaps when he realises this Bilbo could offer the gems to him and maybe he'll refuse them, or maybe he'll accept them but no longer desire them the way he did before?

I think even in the TE we are shown that the nature/degree of his grief for his wife was excessive/wrong. This is in his scene with Legolas, in which (if Legolas is to be believed) he for the firt time speaks of his wife to Legolas. So to me it seems plausible that they can build from this scene in the EE and have a scene such as that you describe, in which Bilbo offers him the gems, and we see him react in a way that reinforces that. Which as you say could be to reject them, or accept them in a different spirit.

AshNazg
Gondor

May 31 2015, 8:06pm

Post #6 of 7 (866 views)
Shortcut
Going back to my Girion Necklace [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book, Bard gives Thranduil Girion's Necklace in thanks for his aid.

Maybe Thranduil rejects the gems by giving them to Bard, so that Bard can begin to rebuild Dale, or to crown him as king. That might be a little confusing, but it's just a thought.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on May 31 2015, 8:07pm)

Milieuterrien
Rohan

May 31 2015, 8:49pm

Post #7 of 7 (846 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil is the more able to help Men [In reply to] Can't Post

But for him the necklace is another thing : he wants it, period. I don't think that losing (for a while ?) Legolas and seing Tauriel weeping for a Dwarf would change anything about that.

Getting back his necklace, Thranduil could become more friendly and a little less isolationist. After all, there are still orcs around waiting to be killed, and less danger to have the job done.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.