Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Beorn's references in DOS: Extended Edition?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

May 30 2015, 11:51am

Post #1 of 35 (2184 views)
Shortcut
Beorn's references in DOS: Extended Edition? Can't Post

I didn't put much attention to this until recently, but after watching the Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition I wondered who does Beorn refer to by his lines: 'I remember a time when a great evil ruled these lands. One powerful enough to raise the dead. If this enemy has returned to Middle-earth, I would have you tell me.'
Now, I first thought he meant Sauron (from 'If this enemy has returned to Middle-earth'), but Sauron never ruled the lands around the Carrock and Beorn's house, so that is not a likely possibility.
Then, I wondered: does he refer to Angmar and the Witchking? I know, in the book Angmar was to the west of the Misty Mountains, troubling only Eriador. But, since in the Hobbit movies Gundabad is told to be a fortress and armory of Angmar, does this mean Angmar was larger in movie-lore, extending on both sides of the Misty Mountains? After all, Elrond's line 'For 400 years we have been living in peace, a hard-won, watchful peace.' probably refers to the fall of the Kingdom of Angmar, which likely fell much later than in the book (probably it endured after the fall of Arthedain, and extended its borders east of the Misty Mountains (including Gundabad, where thereafter Thranduil's wife was killed, and probably some parts west of Mirkwood, thus Beorn's lines would make sence), then around the year 2540 (400 years before the time of the Hobbit), after all the Nazgul were in Angmar, it would have been defeated.
What do you think of my opinion on these lines from the movies? Do you have a similar opinion? That Beorn's and Elrond's lines refer to a larger Angmar that fell much later than in the book? Or Beorn was refering to Sauron?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 30 2015, 11:58am

Post #2 of 35 (2100 views)
Shortcut
Angmar's borders [In reply to] Can't Post

Angmar was always on both sides of the northern Misty Mountains, north of the Ettenmoors. That was not an invention of the films. However, Beorn could still have meant Sauron, who was the master of the Witch-king.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 30 2015, 12:00pm)

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

May 30 2015, 12:06pm

Post #3 of 35 (2092 views)
Shortcut
But... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Beorn referring to the Witchking is more likely than to Sauron, because when did Sauron rule the lands west of Mirkwood, or any part of Mirkwood except for the Southern part where Dol Guldur is located?
Also, which teritorries did Angmar rule on the east side of the Misty Mountains in the book?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 30 2015, 12:18pm

Post #4 of 35 (2082 views)
Shortcut
Angmar's borders (elaborated) [In reply to] Can't Post

Angmar controlled the northern Misty Mountains, north of the Ettenmoors, to Carn Dum at the west end of the Mountains of Angmar to the Grey Mountains as far as (and including) the upper Anduin Vales. The borders are illustrated here: https://masteroflore.files.wordpress.com/.../02/war-of-14091.jpg.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

May 30 2015, 12:34pm

Post #5 of 35 (2069 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

So, after all, Beorn probably refers to Angmar, as I thought Evil. I wonder through, could the Witchking raise the dead? Or Beorn refers to a time Sauron was in Angmar?
An off-topic question, but can you find any photos/texts that tell of Bilbo planting his acorn in Dale from the Hobbit: the Battle of the Five Armies Visual Companion?

(This post was edited by ThorinsNemesis on May 30 2015, 12:35pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 30 2015, 1:11pm

Post #6 of 35 (2040 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo planting the acorn [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
An off-topic question, but can you find any photos/texts that tell of Bilbo planting his acorn in Dale from the Hobbit: the Battle of the Five Armies Visual Companion?

Photo? No. But on page 87 Fisher writes:

The displaced people of Lake-town have great need of hope, of a promise of a new beginning under all the dirt and blood. And so Bilbo Baggins gives to them the acorn he took from Beorn's home. He was going to plant it in his garden at Bag End: but they need this promise of hope more than one small hobbit.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

May 30 2015, 1:16pm

Post #7 of 35 (2032 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the text info... [In reply to] Can't Post

And also, do you think the Witchking could raise the dead? Or Beorn refers to a time when Sauron was in Angmar?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 30 2015, 1:27pm

Post #8 of 35 (2024 views)
Shortcut
Raising the dead [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And also, do you think the Witchking could raise the dead?

In a manner of speaking. The Wights were sent from Angmar to infest ancient barrows and tombs and plague the living. Also, the Nazgul could use Morgul-blades to create lesser Wraiths enslaved to their wills.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

May 30 2015, 1:40pm

Post #9 of 35 (2016 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn, under 'a great evil', meant the Witchking, or all the Nazgul, if they were also in Angmar?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 30 2015, 2:11pm

Post #10 of 35 (1995 views)
Shortcut
The Nazgul in Angmar [In reply to] Can't Post

My guess is that the Ring-wraiths were governing their own, individual territories (mostly in the East and South), but were brought together by either the Witch-king or by Sauron after Angmar came under attack.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

May 30 2015, 2:28pm

Post #11 of 35 (1986 views)
Shortcut
The Nazgul [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, they probably were gathered in Angmar for the final assault on it.
But is it possible that Sauron was at one time in Angmar/was its ruler (in the movies)? Because Beorn said a great evil ruled those lands just after he says the Necromancer is not what he seems.
Is he referring to the Leader of the Nazgul and ruler of Angmar, the Witchking, as the great evil? Or has Sauron been in Angmar, in the movies? Or Beorn doesn't know that the Necromancer is Sauron, just guessing that he isn't what he seems?

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 30 2015, 3:54pm

Post #12 of 35 (1948 views)
Shortcut
Excellent Analysis..SSOoo..could the WitchKing? [In reply to] Can't Post

have been the ONE to release the other 8
in the High Fells ?
Or was there some VISIT by Sauron..just to revive him?

Man O' Man!

.. interesting HINTS from PJ that could
be a "FantasyFiction" on it's own.

Didn't the WitchKing have a Palantir @ one time?

does any of the Gaming LOTR games cover this?
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

May 30 2015, 4:40pm

Post #13 of 35 (1918 views)
Shortcut
Palantir, the Witchking [In reply to] Can't Post

The Witchking had a palantir in Minas Morgul, but according to the time of the Hobbit movies Minas Morgul is still Minas Ithil; however, Lord of the Rings Online's story tells that the minions of Sauron found the Osgiliath palantir in the Anduin river and took it to Carn Dum for it to serve the Witchking, then, after Angmar's destruction and the (fictional) arrival of Mordirith, to serve the Steward of Angmar. Although possible to have happened in lore, it is never mentioned in Tolkien's works.

Considering Beorn's lines, maybe the Witchking is far more powerful in the movies than in the books (an example of his power is when he breaks Gandalf's staff in LOTR Return of the King), so Beorn may have referred to him; I didn't mean the Witchking could raise the other Nazgul from the dead, he was also dead in the movies, I meant he could raise others from the dead, he was a powerful sorcerer, and he sent the Barrow-wights to the Barrow Downs. So, Beorn could have meant him.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 30 2015, 6:45pm

Post #14 of 35 (1861 views)
Shortcut
Different take on it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he means Sauron, with 'these lands' being a generalised reference to Middle Earth rather than specifically Angmar.

It's difficult to use texts from the book to prove or disprove this, given that they have changed the backstory for the film. In the book the Nazgul weren't raised from the dead at all they were undead - they never died. But the power that brought them to that state was Sauron's power and it seems to me that even in the film they're saying that the re-emergence/ raising of the Nazgul is evidence that the Necromancer must be Sauron - ergo, he is the one doing the raising. It's his voice they obey.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 30 2015, 6:56pm

Post #15 of 35 (1854 views)
Shortcut
Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, they probably were gathered in Angmar for the final assault on it.
But is it possible that Sauron was at one time in Angmar/was its ruler (in the movies)? Because Beorn said a great evil ruled those lands just after he says the Necromancer is not what he seems.
Is he referring to the Leader of the Nazgul and ruler of Angmar, the Witchking, as the great evil? Or has Sauron been in Angmar, in the movies? Or Beorn doesn't know that the Necromancer is Sauron, just guessing that he isn't what he seems?

I assumed that Beorn's 'greater evil' was Sauron, who ruled over the Nazgul, but he could have meant it either way. Sauron did not have to be physically present in Angmar because the Witch-king ruled it in his name.

I am guessing that Beorn would not know that the Necromancer is Sauron, but he might suspect that he is at least one of the Nine.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 30 2015, 6:59pm

Post #16 of 35 (1854 views)
Shortcut
The Witch-king was also imprisoned. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
have been the ONE to release the other 8
in the High Fells ?
Or was there some VISIT by Sauron..just to revive him?

Since the Nine were all entombed at the High Fells I would say that Sauron had to be the one who broke the spells on their prison.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

May 30 2015, 7:08pm

Post #17 of 35 (1844 views)
Shortcut
Sauron and Angmar [In reply to] Can't Post

So, Beorn meant Sauron had been some kind of the 'ultimate' king of Angmar, and that he had been the ultimate ruler of those lands (If so, this might explain his lines in the movies)?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 30 2015, 7:13pm

Post #18 of 35 (1837 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard to be certain, but I think so. That would be a good question to address to PJ.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

May 30 2015, 7:17pm

Post #19 of 35 (1833 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, most likely... [In reply to] Can't Post

If PJ would find time to answer it Laugh

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

May 30 2015, 11:40pm

Post #20 of 35 (1752 views)
Shortcut
How Old is Beorn Supposed to Be? [In reply to] Can't Post

In one of Tolkien's letters I recall him indicating that Beorn's lifespan was the same as normal Men. Is this something changed for the movie? If Beorn is referring to either Sauron or the Witch-King, he'd have to be hundreds of years old at least.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 31 2015, 12:16am

Post #21 of 35 (1745 views)
Shortcut
Beorn's age [In reply to] Can't Post

That's actually a good question! Is it possible that (even in Tolkien's legendarium) that whatever geas or enchantment Beorn was under extended his lifespan? If so, it seems that this (self-imposed?) geas was broken by his actions in the Battle of Five Armies.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

May 31 2015, 6:46am

Post #22 of 35 (1683 views)
Shortcut
Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually never thought about that, because I thought Beorn just lived very long. Though, it is very possible that an enchantment of some sort has been placed on him Shocked

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

May 31 2015, 8:19am

Post #23 of 35 (1657 views)
Shortcut
Geas and the Battle of the Five Armies? [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn might have just lived longer in the movies. Although a geas/enchantment is quite possible, too. The question is: how he got it, for what reason, and what would he do to break it during the Battle of the Five Armies?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 31 2015, 11:08am

Post #24 of 35 (1617 views)
Shortcut
"...he is under no enchantment but his own." [In reply to] Can't Post

If Beorn is under some sort of geas then it seems, from Gandalf's words, to be self-imposed. I've wondered if Beorn had once, in bear-form, done harm to someone he cared about. He might have vowed to live apart as long as he did not have full control of himself as a bear.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

May 31 2015, 12:31pm

Post #25 of 35 (1583 views)
Shortcut
Harmed someone who he cated about... [In reply to] Can't Post

That is possible. So, hypotheticaly, he harmed someone while in bear form, and then found a way to enchant himself to live for longer until he controlled himself as a bear?

(This post was edited by ThorinsNemesis on May 31 2015, 12:33pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.