The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Tolkien Letter to William Ready on Antiques Roadshow

Delrond
Rohan

May 30 2015, 11:31am

Post #1 of 4 (842 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien Letter to William Ready on Antiques Roadshow Can't Post

From 1957, the article is a good read. It transcribes the letter and gives it context. Guess I never realized JRRT sold all his TH and LOTR manuscripts to Marquette.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/stories/articles/2015/05/25/tolkien-letter-marquette-university/

Curious to hear the thoughts of some of the more learned Tolkien scholars.

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

(This post was edited by Delrond on May 30 2015, 11:33am)

squire
Half-elven

May 30 2015, 12:21pm

Post #2 of 4 (825 views)
Shortcut
A fun read [In reply to] Can't Post

Without looking anything up, I seem to remember that Tolkien was particularly attracted to having his papers at Marquette because it is a Catholic institution. We see a hint of that in his closing remarks that he hadn't been getting good reviews of The Lord of the Rings from Catholic readers or critics, with the exception of the New Zealand Tablet (a Catholic weekly). I wonder how he even heard about that one?

As readers of History of Middle-earth and History of The Hobbit know, Tolkien's authorial manuscripts are split between Marquette in the U.S. (LotR and Hobbit final drafts) and Oxford's Bodleian in the U.K. (everything else, including all Silmarillion materials and early drafts of LotR). This makes the job of those who edit or consult his papers a bit more daunting!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Delrond
Rohan

May 30 2015, 1:20pm

Post #3 of 4 (812 views)
Shortcut
Is it a safe bet [In reply to] Can't Post

That this letter has not seen the light of day for a very long time? When I posted this, I wondered if anyone here knew of its existence and its specific content.

Nice to hear from you, squire. It has been an overly long period since time and circumstance have brought me back here.

Cheers,

Delrond

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Ostadan
Rivendell

Jun 2 2015, 9:17pm

Post #4 of 4 (738 views)
Shortcut
William Ready, Eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Some ten or so years later, Tolkien came to dislike Ready because of his book, 'The Tolkien Relation', which he pronounced as 'bogus' in a letter to the Tolkien Society of America (whose members he wished to warn against the book). Ready based much on one visit to JRRT in which, as Tolkien said, he talked mostly about himself.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.