Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What if The Master of Laketown had taken Alfrid's role in BOFA?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dormouse
Half-elven

May 31 2015, 10:49pm

Post #51 of 63 (751 views)
Shortcut
No, not incorrect at all... [In reply to] Can't Post

Since when did you become the ultimate authority on how to write an adaptation?

The Master and Alfrid are both greedy, selfish and devious men. With one significant difference. The Master has what it takes to gain and hold power. In the book it's the ability to talk people round to his way of thinking. So when the survivors get angry with him by the Lake shore and want to throw him over he is able to deflect their anger onto the dwarves, whom he blames for setting the dragon on them. The Master is a politician and he knows how to play the crowd - we see a bit of that in DoS. So according to Tolkien, if the Master had survived he would still have been in charge and Bard would not contest that. And the film seems to have followed the same path since we see Bard ask where the Master is.

Alfrid doesn't have the power to sway the crowd. He is greedy, selfish, devious and weak - he needs someone powerful to latch onto. So in that sense he most certainly embodies all the things that Bard isn't. The Master has power, knows how to keep it, and would have been an obstacle to Bard's leadership. Alfrid's weakness and inability to win the crowd is what forces Bard to take over.

Would it be possible to devise a storyline using the Master instead? Yes, Tolkien did it already - I doubt anyone could better that. But it would take much longer to bring Bard to the fore and the film needed to establish his leadership quickly.

squiggle
Rivendell

May 31 2015, 11:21pm

Post #52 of 63 (744 views)
Shortcut
Bard didn't mind having authority over Alfrid in BoTF Armies, i think he enjoyed it [In reply to] Can't Post

He probably found it abit funny, cause otherwise Alfird proved himself pretty hopeless at actually being capable of following his instructions Tongue.........& it may have just been as much Bard giving Alfrid his seal of protection from the rest of the townfolk (although Alfrid is too silly to appreciate this)

And this is the contrast between Alfrid with the Master and with Bard, with the Master's type of rule he was quite capable, with Bards he wasn't.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 1 2015, 5:37am

Post #53 of 63 (714 views)
Shortcut
If the Master had survived... [In reply to] Can't Post

You highlight a major difference between Tolkien's The Hobbit and the movies. The Master of Lake-town survives Smaug's attack in the book, but he remains at Long Lake with the women, children, aged and injured. He does not play any role in the siege of Erebor or the Battle of Five Armies.

In TH:BotFA all of the survivors of Lake-town are moved to Dale; if the Master had survived then he would have been there as well. Keeping this in mind, I can perhaps better understand the decision to kill him off at Esgaroth and clearing the way for Bard.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 1 2015, 7:23am

Post #54 of 63 (698 views)
Shortcut
Well yes, I think so.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Once Laketown has crashed into ruins the Master has to be removed from the narrative to make way for Bard. Tolkien did it by leaving him on the shores of the Lake. But for the film, once they had decided that all the survivors would head for Dale they had to find another way to get the Master off the scene. Using Smaug to do it was simple and effective because it needed no extra story line - we saw it happen.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jun 1 2015, 9:09am

Post #55 of 63 (691 views)
Shortcut
Not for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Of course many people found Alfrid annoying, but even them will be satisfied with his death. They'll just need to buy the EE to get a cure for their annoyment Sly

I'd be more satisfied if the extended edition of The Battle of the Five Armies did not contain any more scenes of Alfrid. The reputed death scene makes me cringe.

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Jun 1 2015, 12:22pm

Post #56 of 63 (663 views)
Shortcut
Master of The Lake [In reply to] Can't Post

O/S and D/M you are of course both correct. For the Master to survive and live on his wits (as DM has described perfectly) would have worked but only if he had remained behind at the Lake with the non combatants to "protect" his people and of course the gold. He would have bided his time and then fallen fowl of his avariciousness.

I will be interested to hear the reason from the film makers for emphasising the saving of the gold other than its obvious relativism with his people. It may have been intended to be a propulsion for a longer arc for the master.

I know a little about the filming at Lake Pukaki and when we have seen the EE it might be worth re visiting this topic. PJ and PB may well explain in their commentary how Bard's arc evolved and at least we will then have a chance to respond to their thinking once we know what it was.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jun 1 2015, 1:11pm

Post #57 of 63 (650 views)
Shortcut
Seconded [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'd be more satisfied if the extended edition of The Battle of the Five Armies did not contain any more scenes of Alfrid. The reputed death scene makes me cringe.

Agree again.Angelic

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 1 2015, 3:41pm

Post #58 of 63 (631 views)
Shortcut
Same here.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't mind him in DoS, was OK with him at first in BotFA - at least at the Lake shore I think he serves a purpose.

But I could do without some of his later scenes and have no interest in seeing more of him.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jun 1 2015, 4:27pm

Post #59 of 63 (612 views)
Shortcut
No more Alfrid please [In reply to] Can't Post

Why can't he just disappear in the background of Dale reconstruction?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 1 2015, 6:25pm

Post #60 of 63 (597 views)
Shortcut
Reconstruction? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you really expect to see much in the way of rebuilding in the context of the movie? It's already winter; I'll be surprised if we see more than some hasty repairs.

I also would rather see no more Alfrid than the final scene for him that has been described. I would have liked to see something similar to the fate that Tolkien weaved for the Master (possibly with a cameo by Gollum).

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jun 1 2015, 6:46pm

Post #61 of 63 (592 views)
Shortcut
No, I don't [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant that once Bard is crowned he will do something to rebuild the town. I didn't mean they had to show anything of the kind in the EE. Maybe imply it but nothing more. His story Line (quite a long one) is already over for meWink

squiggle
Rivendell

Jun 2 2015, 5:50am

Post #62 of 63 (561 views)
Shortcut
Alrid has more potential for an Arc than the Master [In reply to] Can't Post

the Master while a good laugh, he was more set in his ways than Alfrid.

There was part of Alfrid that didn't know better compared to the Master, the Master was abit that way toward the end but that was him being a politician, even to himself.

With Alfrid, it was more a case of him being a hapless dork, hehe Laugh

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jun 5 2015, 9:23pm

Post #63 of 63 (503 views)
Shortcut
I preferred Jar Jar to Alfird [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't outright dislike either of them though, and I like Jar Jar. But I do think the Master would have been better in the role as the OP suggests.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.