The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Peter Jackson Film School?

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

May 29 2015, 11:14am

Post #1 of 12 (1284 views)
Shortcut
The Peter Jackson Film School? Can't Post

It's a correspondence course. First he gives us a multi-Oscar winning trilogy from an impossible to adapt book; then he provides some extra scenes for comparison, along with extensive instructions on how to go about making the film.

In the third installment, we get another adaptation - but this time, having learned how to do it, we have to edit the film ourselves from the multitude of scenes provided - some of them are ridiculous red herrings, put in to test our editing skills; others are a mixture of suitable and unsuitable material that will need advanced editing skills to separate out. Having completed that stage, we're then presented further additional scenes that we can edit in.

As a correspondence course, it's actually good value, though you do have to pay for the editing software.

Is it too much to expect that we'll get a box of actors and a camera in the next installment - or perhaps a mo-cap suit?

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Glorfindela
Valinor

May 29 2015, 8:09pm

Post #2 of 12 (1073 views)
Shortcut
I know what this is [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps it's a type of game and you get points for deleting the things that should not actually be in the films? Having eliminated them and inserted extras (still to be provided) in the right places, you will end up with the films as they should be.

Brilliant – what a novel idea for a film!Angelic

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

May 30 2015, 10:35am

Post #3 of 12 (924 views)
Shortcut
HAHAHA this is great stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah

I have learnt

A LOT OF ENGLISH due to them

So my gratitude goes for PJ and co.

In cinema not so, but in storytelling YES a lot aswell, for good and bad

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

lonelymountainhermit
Lorien

May 30 2015, 2:02pm

Post #4 of 12 (887 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

If someone could edit the PJ barrel scene to the way its supposed to be, they would immediately pass the course.

Milieuterrien
Rohan

May 30 2015, 2:44pm

Post #5 of 12 (880 views)
Shortcut
Fictional and offensive [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt any movie school proceeds like that. As far as I know, they prefer to edit up what they find the most illustrative sequences, and don't lose time commenting about the other ones.

No movie is shaped in order to introduce editing out of itself.

Maybe that may be desire for some rare viewers to skip scenes, but if there is a software to promote it would be a 'skipping' software available to viewers, and surely not a software designed for butchering the work of other people.
So I hardly see how to encourage and propagate such practice as 'lessons'

Concerning movies, best is to let cissors into the hands of cineasts and producers, otherwise it would be claiming some 'creation' where only destruction (cutting off) can be seen.
As you may know, anytime doing so, copyrights requests to get the permission from the authors.

So editing off tools are surely not a good idea to be propagated seriously, because it's nothing but throwing seeds for judicial clashes.

(This post was edited by Milieuterrien on May 30 2015, 2:45pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

May 30 2015, 7:12pm

Post #6 of 12 (819 views)
Shortcut
Excellent idea, Bumblingidiot... [In reply to] Can't Post

... one of your best. Smile

After all, Peter Jackson likes to encourage aspiring film-makers, doesn't he? I'm sure he'd be up for it.

But let's hope that at least some of the keen would-be editors taking the course are open-minded enough to observe while they're working the things that he gets so right, as well as trying to change the things they think are wrong. If they're receptive enough, I'm sure there are lots of things he can teach them...

He can teach them a lot of technical stuff about cameras and lighting and editing...

He can teach them how to choose a cast who can not only play their own parts well but also get on with one another. How to make the people who work for and with you feel really valued, so that they care about your film as much as you do and will give all the effort it takes - and will be keen to come back for your next film. How to create a happy working environment for everyone...

There are some intangibles he probably can't teach, like how to frame a shot so that it looks as perfect as a book illustration. That's a gift - but if they're sharp they can probably learn by example. There are other things he's good at too. I don't suppose going barefoot all the time will help them much, but he can oprobably recommend a good chiropodist. Laugh But what about

Having the nerve to take on a project no one thinks you're up to and knocking their socks off with the result....

Sticking to the project when everything seems to be going wrong around you and having the will to see it through, even when you're completely exhausted and so is everyone round you...

(This is beginning to sound like Kipling, isn't it? If you can keep your head when all about you/ Are losing theirs and blaming it on you.... If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you - But make allowance for their doubting too... Good poem - worth a read...)

Yep, I think you've hit a winner there. Peter Jackson seems like a decent, hard-working bloke with a lot of skills to pass on.

But how many of the pupils do you reckon will become successful film directors in their own right? That's the big question....

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jun 1 2015, 11:43am

Post #7 of 12 (685 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

if you can promise me the box of actors...

Where's the sign-up sheet?
Smile

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2015, 5:31pm

Post #8 of 12 (653 views)
Shortcut
Entry requirements: [In reply to] Can't Post

No formal qualifications are necessary, but prospective students must provide references to demonstrate that they are not tediously pedestrian.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jun 3 2015, 11:31am

Post #9 of 12 (568 views)
Shortcut
I don't think that's important. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... one of your best. Smile

But how many of the pupils do you reckon will become successful film directors in their own right? That's the big question....

The point is to get out there and have a go, if it's something you love doing. How do you measure success anyway - box office? Quality? Personal satisfaction?

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 3 2015, 12:46pm

Post #10 of 12 (563 views)
Shortcut
Do you not? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, for anyone who just wants to have a go for the fun of it, you're right - it's not important at all. Anyone who really wants to be a film director would be looking for a lot more than that. Success is surely measured in this as in other spheres by what the person hopes to achieve. If you do the thing for the love of doing it then your success is the pleasure it gives you. But if you also want to earn a living from it you have to convince enough other people that you're worth paying - same is true of musicians, painters, writers, scuptors....

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jun 3 2015, 2:18pm

Post #11 of 12 (555 views)
Shortcut
From the perspective of the person doing it, sure.. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's good to be able to pay the mortgage/rent without having to get another job doing something else. Van Gogh could have done with a bit more dosh when he was alive - but that doesn't mean he wasn't a success from our perspective as punters. There's an element of luck involved in the money making side of things - great work isn't always appreciated, but for many people, creating things is a vocation, whether it makes them money or not. With modern tech, it's much easier for a group of people to make a film these days, whether for their own fulfillment, or as an attempt at a career in film.

I was being a bit flippant, (due to the numerous fan edits of The Hobbit being produced these days). But, to be serious for a moment, someone who is just starting out in film could do a lot worse than trawling through the Appendices disks that PJ has provided with the EEs - there's a lot of useful info/insights in there.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 3 2015, 2:27pm

Post #12 of 12 (554 views)
Shortcut
Yes - to everything you say... [In reply to] Can't Post

Creative work of any sort is a kind of vocation - most of us do it because we can't help it and money isn't the priority ( though it does help). But as a life-long freelance (not in films) there is something else there - a kind of drive, if you like. I had a book out a few months ago. I passionately want it to be a critical success because I want to know it's good. And the only way you really know that - or at least, come as close to knowing as we insecure types ever manage - is if the world tells you it is.

And yes - the EE appendices could teach any aspiring film people a lot - if they listen.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.