The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
This means War!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 27 2015, 4:51pm

Post #1 of 4 (410 views)
Shortcut
This means War! Can't Post

According to the chart below, the U.S. of A. has been at war for approximately 44.6% of my lifetime.

Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/...tes-has-been-at-war/

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 27 2015, 4:52pm)

Ciars
Rohan

May 27 2015, 6:08pm

Post #2 of 4 (381 views)
Shortcut
What's a war precious? [In reply to] Can't Post

There's very few places (sadly) that have not been touched by war or the ripples that result because of war that spread to touch a wider sphere of people, bringing pain, heartache and loss to far too many people. It is interesting that here, in Northern Ireland it is defined in more sugar coated terms such as the troubles, the conflict or the divide or the peace process ( surely if there is a peace process it happens after a war?) rather than a war.
To me, it shows how we define a war affects our understanding or comprehension of what is actually happening, many don't think they are at war or have experienced a war simply as it has not been declared as such, or, for political reasons a war is not a war as both sides don't agree they are at war, they are simply having a conflict, or as history has shown we tend to bury our heads in the sand until the storm hits us directly, as in not until it actually affects us or is in our own backyard as it were. This is dangerous as it allows things to escalate or be dismissed or be written off as just one of those things that happens. Desensitising issues leads to desensitised people which is when things tend to go upside down, or worse allows a problem to fester and blossom into something more serious. War, for many now is an insidious beast,which lurks behind the comfortable reality of daily life waiting to strike when you expect it least!

(This post was edited by Ciars on May 27 2015, 6:17pm)

Meneldor
Valinor

May 28 2015, 2:28am

Post #3 of 4 (340 views)
Shortcut
TIME magazine summed up my feelings a few years ago: [In reply to] Can't Post

"America is not at war. America's military is at war, and America is at the mall."

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2015, 3:50pm

Post #4 of 4 (280 views)
Shortcut
all... [In reply to] Can't Post

well said...

good insights.

In my dad's day (he served in Europe in the US Army during WW2) it was so clear: black white good evil, nuff said. Now we're done, war over, enter the 50s and prosperity.

Now, so much more complicated.

And has the Middle East ever been not at war?

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

JARVIS is my copilot, and it's bigger on the inside...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.