Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Video: Why did Frodo Leave Middle-earth?

AshNazg
Gondor

May 27 2015, 12:44am

Post #1 of 7 (4197 views)
Shortcut
Video: Why did Frodo Leave Middle-earth? Can't Post

I found this video pretty funny: https://youtu.be/zQeYyiuqOaI

But it raised a question for me. At the end he says "or you could study the real world's history". I have actually thought about this before. I know Middle-earth's cultures and history so much better than the real world, I sometimes wonder whether I've wasted my time filling my head with nonsense instead of reading about great people and events that actually happened on Earth.

I suppose I see the real world as too big and complex, too intimidating to begin to learn and study. Tolkien's world, while complex, is much more black and white "these were the good guys, these were the bad guys and these guys were conflicted" so I find it more entertaining to digest.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I'm sure many of you (probably a majority) do have a strong interest in history or different cultures or wars etc. so see it very differently. I also wonder, does Middle-earth help you remember things in our own history? Or similarly do you remember any parts of Lord of the Rings because they remind you of real historical people or events?

I went on a bit of a tangent there, feel free to discuss the video rather than my strange questions Laugh

oliphaunt
Lorien

May 28 2015, 11:48pm

Post #2 of 7 (4116 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth is about real conflicts [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle-earth is about real conflicts. The events are not within our recorded history, but the conflicts, the challenges, the temptations, the triumphs are the same. I think our experience of Middle-earth helps us understand history, and our own personal history. It helps provide a point of view. Good is good, and evil is evil, whether you are in Middle-earth or New York City. I think we all need to learn to judge between the good and evil in our own hearts on our way to making sense of the events in the world at large.

ps I didn't watch the video yet...

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

May 29 2015, 6:07pm

Post #3 of 7 (4083 views)
Shortcut
We don't know if the real world's history is entirely true [In reply to] Can't Post

Because we know that Tolkien's history of Middle-Earth is the true history of Middle-Earth for a fact. We do not know how much real history as we know it today has been tampered with, which is most likely the case, nor do we know what is true for certain. Other than that, what you said applies to my case, as well.

shadowdog
Rohan

May 29 2015, 7:25pm

Post #4 of 7 (4078 views)
Shortcut
Not sure I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of the differences in real world history is which side of each conflict you are getting the history from. The same is true with Tolkien's Middle Earth. I think those that opposed the elves and men would have a very different view of Middle Earth and the events that occurred therein.

lonelymountainhermit
Lorien

Jun 13 2015, 6:40pm

Post #5 of 7 (3887 views)
Shortcut
agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Being a historian of Middle-earth is far less frustrating.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 13 2015, 8:34pm

Post #6 of 7 (3888 views)
Shortcut
Yes and no. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Because we know that Tolkien's history of Middle-Earth is the true history of Middle-Earth for a fact.

Not entirely. The Quenta Silmarillion, as published, represents the history of the First Age, but filtered through the perspective and biases of some historian(s) in Numenor. Some elements might not, arguably, be factually accurate.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

refrigeratorbob

Jul 29 2015, 5:38am

Post #7 of 7 (3525 views)
Shortcut
youtube [In reply to] Can't Post

I like this youtube video.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.