I'm just here for general nit-picking. Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

May 26 2015, 1:52am

Post #28 of 65 (1749 views)
Shortcut
I feel the same about M. Night S. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I recently re-watched "Sixth Sense" and thought how great a movie it is, even knowing what happens, and I wondered what Shyamalan was up to lately--none of his movies compared to that one.
Really true. 'The Village' is the closest without quite the same emotional punch; its like solving a puzzle versus being really affected.

Devil doesn't either, but it's well-done and worth watching. Five people trapped in an elevator, and one is the devil, though no one knows that, except a religious/superstitious security guard helplessly watching on camera. And people start to figure it out as very bad things happen while they await rescue. It kept me guessing, and that was the fun part. Not real heavy on the supernatural, more on the suspense. 4 out of 5 stars

Suspense is always good at least. I don't even remember seeing ads for that one. Shocked

Brethil
Half-elven

May 26 2015, 1:54am

Post #29 of 65 (1754 views)
Shortcut
You really have got the Murdoch bug! [In reply to] Can't Post

So I take it that series is Bronze Potato Chip worthy? Laugh

LOVE Mr. Blandings. Along with Bringing Up Baby and Rebecca one of my favorite old time movies.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 26 2015, 1:56am

Post #30 of 65 (1751 views)
Shortcut
Ian Malcolm has great lines, doesn't he? [In reply to] Can't Post

Like about the Pirates of the Caribbean breaking down...and the 'just because you could doesn't always mean you should' is timeless.

Are you planning on seeing Jurassic World, QoE?

Brethil
Half-elven

May 26 2015, 1:57am

Post #31 of 65 (1752 views)
Shortcut
That Mumakil driver: Best. Bad. Guy. Evah. [In reply to] Can't Post

He's just so clearly enjoying himself.

I'm thrilled to hear you loved Fury Road so much, D!Heart It looked ... intense.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 26 2015, 1:58am

Post #32 of 65 (1746 views)
Shortcut
Glad you caught the end of Wolf Hall, Aunt Dora [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if in your A.D. series they are trying to make it 'fresh' and new and this covering other ground?

Brethil
Half-elven

May 26 2015, 2:00am

Post #33 of 65 (1742 views)
Shortcut
You and SirD are on the same page with Fury Road, I see. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Mad Max: Fury Road was insane, and epic. I thought it was better than Age of Ultron, to be honest.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 26 2015, 2:06am

Post #34 of 65 (1740 views)
Shortcut
Vicious, etc. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Started watching "Vicious" but I think it's the kind of show that will pall quite soon, despite the wonderful cast; people insulting each other nonstop is only fun for a little while.
Oh dear, yes. As much as I utterly love the cast, its something I watch only now and then, enjoy, take a break. NOT Bronze Potato Chip binge material.

ORPHAN BLACK! The awesome is back!

Hah! Thought of you when I saw that.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 26 2015, 2:06am

Post #35 of 65 (1742 views)
Shortcut
And I thought you were here to be charmingly decorative. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm just here for general nit-picking. Laugh

(This post was edited by Brethil on May 26 2015, 2:14am)

Brethil
Half-elven

May 26 2015, 2:09am

Post #36 of 65 (1744 views)
Shortcut
I wonder how next season will go... *BBT SPOILERS* [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

the Big bang theory season ender...it left me sad and unsettled!

Frown

Especially Sheldon, he tries so hard, but it's not always obvious to everyone else that he is trying.

...as I have a feeling Leonard and Penny may drift apart and Sheldon and Amy may work it out. I do hope so: I felt so bad for Sheldon!

Brethil
Half-elven

May 26 2015, 2:11am

Post #37 of 65 (1744 views)
Shortcut
Another vote for Fury Road! [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it more of a 'guy' kinda-sorta film? Just curious, noting the responses so far.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 26 2015, 2:13am

Post #38 of 65 (1740 views)
Shortcut
Have we seen the best already? Wonder how FR will stand up against other summer action films? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Mad Max: Fury Road And it's a perfect action movie. 5/5

Me85
Rivendell

May 26 2015, 2:44am

Post #39 of 65 (1737 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Is it more of a 'guy' kinda-sorta film? Just curious, noting the responses so far.

I don't want to sound sexist but I do believe it's more of a guys movie but obviously a lot of women enjoy it just as much.
Me and my sister were one of the VERY few women in the theater though. If you're not put off by the trailer go watch it. It probably won't be like anything you've ever seen. I wasn't bored one secondCool
One of the very few movies i'd like to see again.

(This post was edited by Me85 on May 26 2015, 2:47am)

Kim
Valinor

May 26 2015, 3:25am

Post #40 of 65 (1729 views)
Shortcut
Games of Thrones: The Musical [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.ew.com/...usical-emilia-Clarke Cool

Plus, Ed Sheeran and Kermit the Frog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwVIMN7m-lw Evil

I didn't get a chance to see much of the first US Red Nose Day, so glad I stumbled on these today.

Plus, this week's GOT. Dany + Tyrion = cool beans.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 26 2015, 3:34am

Post #41 of 65 (1723 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the insight Me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a hard time getting to late spring/ summer films because of the garden. *cough* except for that nine-times Star Trek thing. Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

May 26 2015, 3:35am

Post #42 of 65 (1717 views)
Shortcut
Ed n Kermit are adorable. Thanks Kim! // [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 26 2015, 3:46am

Post #43 of 65 (1733 views)
Shortcut
Not exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

At least not according to the review here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...ax-fury-road/review/ (and I tend to agree. Gender fell by the roadside early in the film).

As the reviewer points out a main thread of MMFR is women's empowerment: from the lead character (Max is almost a supporting character next to) Chalize Theron's Furiosa; the wives' refusal to be treated as things; 'mothers' [breast] milk' appears to be the main source of sustenance; and a band of aged women are the ones who turn the tide on the bad guys.

As with true feminism, it's not just about gender; rather it's about character, selflessness, and doing what's right by all.

There is lots there for anyone who just wants to shut off the brain and enjoy a great action movie. And there's some moving, romantic moments too.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on May 26 2015, 4:01am)

Me85
Rivendell

May 26 2015, 8:26am

Post #44 of 65 (1710 views)
Shortcut
Imo... [In reply to] Can't Post

the target group for the movie is definitely more towards men. It's all relative though. I mean compare this to Pitch Perfect. I think the ratio of men will be a lot higher for Mad Max and probably also higher than any other movie out now. The fact that there is a kickass woman in there doesn't make it (more of) a woman's movie but it does certainly make it more interesting for us. I think it's more about the genre of the movie.

I do think the movie might be a bit feminist and that was the only thing i (even though i'm a woman) did not like. Don't get me wrong. I LOVED the fact that Charlize was equally badass as Tom because I'm annoyed and tired of seeing women who need to be rescued by a man all the time. But the fact that, as the article said, Charlize (Furiosa) was the "alpha male" and Tom (Max) the supporting characters bugged me. Hellooo! The movies are called Mad MAX. They are named after Max. They're not called Mad Furiosa and yet the whole movie revolved around Charlize. It was about her freeing the slaves and her wanting to get to her birth land and Tom was just there to help her get there. I knew nothing about the movie going in (except for seeing the trailer) and I haven't seen the originals but i remember thinking why we didn't get to see more of Max as his name is in the title. It better actually be about Max in the next one. I wanted/want to see more of him.

Don't get me wrong though, I think the movie is awesome.SmileCool

(This post was edited by Me85 on May 26 2015, 8:28am)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

May 26 2015, 12:34pm

Post #45 of 65 (1695 views)
Shortcut
I don't have any bug! ... [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, maybe a small bug... Smile

I really like the show. It's fun, it covers issues that were important at the time (and oddly points out that even after more than a century we're still covering similar ground). The mysteries are more the type of the dime store novel variety and the writers don't miss a chance to poke fun at themselves or audience. In just about every episode there is a bit of a nudge nudge wink wink going on between the writers, cast and fans. It's gone on as long as Castle while managing to stay engaging and fun. Castle's homage to Becket the supercop/defender of good/all that is perfect wore on me and I stopped watching. They took themselves too seriously, and I don't mean they stopped telling jokes.

My only wish is that I could watch Murdoch when it is on instead of having to wait until the season is over for it to be released to the outside world. *sigh* I know folks want to make money but what is the issue with releasing a Canadian show to the US? It's already got a fan base because of the Ovation channel reruns... I will never understand lawyers.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

May 26 2015, 3:56pm

Post #46 of 65 (1682 views)
Shortcut
**BBT spoilers** [In reply to] Can't Post

You may be right. I was really bothered that Leonard admitted to cheating at first, but then I remembered he did the same thing to Pria (sp?) when they were dating, sigh. I wouldn't be too upset if they did break up to be honest, I've been liking Leonard less and less as the series goes on.

I hope Sheldon and Amy work things out though too. I really like both of them as characters and as a couple.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 26 2015, 5:22pm

Post #47 of 65 (1693 views)
Shortcut
Tomorrowland [In reply to] Can't Post

A fantastic antidote to the apocalyptic sf we've been inundated with lately...

CoolCoolCoolCoolCool

https://lovepirate77.wordpress.com/2015/05/26/review-tomorrowland/

http://www.npr.org/2015/05/22/408459870/the-future-is-bright-in-the-time-and-space-twisting-tomorrowland

I liked it.

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

JARVIS is my copilot, and it's bigger on the inside...

Dwarewien
Rohan

May 26 2015, 10:03pm

Post #48 of 65 (1672 views)
Shortcut
Already got my tickets... [In reply to] Can't Post

for the 4:15 p.m. showing on June 14th (since going to a movie on opening day just doesn't work for me). Like when BoFA first came to theaters, it will be playing in our UltraAVX theater where you don't have to worry about them selling out, since they have reserved seating. I like to choose the same seat (Row F, Seat 16) especially for a 3D showing, since you don't want to be too close to the screen, or else you might end up with a stiff neck. This will be the first Jurassic Park movie I've seen in 3D (since I didn't get around to going to the original when they re-released it in 3D, though I was thinking about it) and the first one I've seen in theaters since The Lost World (it's not that I was too young when the original came out, since I was about 20, I just wasn't into movies like this at that time).

P.S. I love the Pirates of the Caribbean reference, even though I've never been on the ride (or the Jurassic Park one at Universal Studios for that mattter), though I love the movies (pity we have to wait until 2017 until the next one).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Kim
Valinor

May 28 2015, 2:26am

Post #49 of 65 (1656 views)
Shortcut
Hannibal Season 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Season 3 starts June 4, so interviews are popping up. Here's the official season 3 preview trailer with some spoilers, including the first shots of Richard Armitage as Francis Dolarhyde: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTkFLdmEX3o

Interview with Bryan Fuller: http://tattle-crime.com/wp/?p=423

Interview with Richard Armitage: http://www.fangoria.com/...nnibal-season-three/

I'm getting more and more curious to see how this all plays out!

Patty
Immortal

May 28 2015, 5:35am

Post #50 of 65 (1648 views)
Shortcut
Painful will be this weekend... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been dreading it since the season began.

I don't do dark well.

Permanent address: Into the West

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.