Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats
Anything that gets me out on the water
sailboats
motorboats
jetskis
sea kayaks
whitewater kayaks or rafts
windsurfing/sailboarding
canoeing
an inner tube or air mattress in a pool
cruise ships
ferries
I get seasick just thinking about getting on a boat
I'm afraid of drowning
not sick or afraid, just not my thing
I'd like to but I live too far away from open water
View Results (81 votes)

Meneldor
Valinor

May 25 2015, 1:33am

Post #26 of 40 (6936 views)
Shortcut
Happiness [In reply to] Can't Post

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

May 25 2015, 2:20pm

Post #27 of 40 (6915 views)
Shortcut
I was just making my bed and I realized... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have this same quote embroidered on a pillow. Really!

You know when someone says something trying to be profound and someone snarks back "You should needlepoint that on a pillow...."? Well, I really do have this on a pillow! It used to be my grandpa's pillow and I gave it to him because he loved that quote so much. He was happiest in a boat too. SmileHeart

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 26 2015, 5:07pm

Post #28 of 40 (6901 views)
Shortcut
Prescott [In reply to] Can't Post

Was utterly charming. Stayed in a neat bed and breakfast, the lady grew her own fruit for the muffins. We walked out the back of the B&B at night to dive in the shallows of the river.

There was a restaurant called The Barracks, which was an old military barracks from ... Colonial period or War of 1812 or something... wait staff in period garb, candle-lit (I remember one candle on the wall complete with massive smoke stains). Dinner was served as per period: many courses with plenty of time in between to converse. This annoyed several of our members of Short Attention Span Theater. I loved it. Wonder if it's still there.

Canada always feels very much like the rest of the east coast... except when you cross the border there's all these maple leaf flags proclaiming NOT IN THE US ANYMORE!!!

I understand the US tried to invade Canada a few times during the War of 1812, ostensibly to "free them from English oppression"... the Canadians politely refused and sent us packing back across the border.

The wrecks we saw were largely wooden schooners (anywhere from 50' to 100' long) minus the spars and rigging. Since it's fresh water, no reeflike growth on the ships as you'd have in the ocean (which attracts all kinds of life), but there were fish hanging out on some.

My uncle spent a lot of time in Canada hunting and fishing, back after WWII. Went into the wilds, hung out with Native people, all stuff we heard about after he died.

We also went to the one world's fair in Quebec when I was a kid (so, sometime in the 60s).

My two favorite Iditarod mushers, both among the rare teams running Siberians, are Canadian: one in Haliburton Ontario (Winterdance Kennel, Hank DeBruin), and one in Alberta (North Wapiti Kennels, Karen Ramstead). The Haliburton one does sled dogs tours in winter.

I'd love to visit Canada again.

Annael
Immortal

May 26 2015, 6:33pm

Post #29 of 40 (6898 views)
Shortcut
although [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard a lot of sailboat jokes along the lines of "the two happiest days in a sailor's life is when s/he buys a boat, and when s/he sells it."

Also: "A sailboat is a hole in the water into which you throw money."

Nonetheless, I agree. Was out Saturday on my friends' 36-foot Catalina and we were all very happy.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 26 2015, 10:12pm

Post #30 of 40 (6888 views)
Shortcut
My stepmom had that saying on a refrigerator magnet [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Also: "A (sail)boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money."

with another one that said, "I love my husband but damn that boat." Laugh

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 31 2015, 2:13am

Post #31 of 40 (6837 views)
Shortcut
Kayaking. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mr and I enjoy that very much. We've kayaked a bit in New Zealand - Lake Taupo, Abel Tasman Park, Marlborough Sounds, Doubtful Sound. Also on two lovely rivers in south-western France, and during the last two winters pottering around gorgeous coastlines in Vanuatu. Relaxing and exciting at the same time, and a different view of places and wildlife.

We don't yet own a kayak of our own, but I think it'll happen some time.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2015, 4:47pm

Post #32 of 40 (6810 views)
Shortcut
oh yes do! [In reply to] Can't Post

...get kayaks.

A word or two here...

http://www.swordwhale.com/kayaking-101.html

OK, a whole webpage I did.... Kayaking 101 (or how a 4000 year old boat is better than medication)

Basically:

...talk to a real outfitter, not a sporting goods store (clueless morons). Real outfitters paddle, a lot, and sell you what you need, not what the quota of the week is or what the book says.

Long skinny boat = fast and efficient.
Short fat boat paddles exactly like a bathtub.

All you need is a rooftop, some straps and those kayak blocks, but racks are nice.

Get a light paddle: it'll shave a few mph off your speed, and keep you from dying of exhaustion.

A sawed off detergent bottle is a bilge pump. A sponge helps too.

Drybags cameras, binoculars and other goodies are necessary.

So is falling out of your boat. It is not really, as the Northern Tribes thought, a dry sport.

You WILL fall out of your boat, what do you want to be wearing when you do.

Pack lunch. Make it mostly healthy. Avoid Sugar Bonk. Water is good. Water is real good.

Diveskins and surfer shirts are sunscreen that doesn't wash off. Cotton is rotten.

WEAR YOUR $*%$&^$% PFD!!!!

(sorry, rant over... just remembering the morons who went out in a flood stage and ended up cowering on debris wrapped around a bridge piling... in T-shirts, in cold water, with no PFDs). http://lancasteronline.com/news/kayaker-rescued-escape-conestoga-river-on-their-own-after-boats/article_65df7530-2ebb-5f84-9d31-f9784181060a.html

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2015, 4:48pm

Post #33 of 40 (6807 views)
Shortcut
ah yaaaasssss [In reply to] Can't Post

but a kayak is a very very small hole...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2015, 4:54pm

Post #34 of 40 (6806 views)
Shortcut
PS [In reply to] Can't Post

wanna go there toooooooooooo!!!!!!!

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

NZ kayaking....

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

UnsureUnsureUnsureUnsureUnsureUnsureUnsureUnsureUnsure

I had to google Vanawhiteoo....

Makes a kind of triangle with Aust and NZ...

Love that "Earth" contains an area called Oceania...

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 1 2015, 8:45pm

Post #35 of 40 (6799 views)
Shortcut
Hey, thanks for all that! [In reply to] Can't Post

It really is a wonderful activity, and one we'd like to do more of.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 1 2015, 8:45pm

Post #36 of 40 (6798 views)
Shortcut
:) // [In reply to] Can't Post

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jun 2 2015, 3:12pm

Post #37 of 40 (6788 views)
Shortcut
I may have... [In reply to] Can't Post

been a wee tad virulent in my opinion of sporting goods stores...

I worked in one, and certain males basically "marked their territory" in a way which reminded me of badly behaved dawgs. I think they were intimidated by a female who knew more than they did. Grrrr, snarrrrrll.

Go to a real outfitter, the sporting goods people are still clueless.

Annael
Immortal

Jun 4 2015, 3:29pm

Post #38 of 40 (6715 views)
Shortcut
and in that vein . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

this is my current obsession: a race upside the Inside Passage from my town to Ketchikan, Alaska. Any type of boat permitted but NO MOTORS. They left this morning. Many are only going across to Victoria BC, but there's still a healthy field of boaters challenging the currents, weather, and BEARS.

http://r2ak.com/

(This post was edited by Annael on Jun 4 2015, 3:30pm)

Misto
Lorien

Jun 12 2015, 11:56am

Post #39 of 40 (6652 views)
Shortcut
What about rowboats? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't be bothered about sailing - I tried once, but it wasn't my thing. But rowing is good fun imo. Competitive rowing in a scull. Not that I mind the odd lazy trip to a scenic place, but that's not something to keep me interested in the long run.
Anyway, I have no access to any proper water around here, so rowing is sport of the past for me.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jun 13 2015, 5:44pm

Post #40 of 40 (6642 views)
Shortcut
haven't tried that [In reply to] Can't Post

but the local lake hosts a club of rowers...

the most hilarious thing is tiny cars going down the road with one of those huge rowing shells, three times as long as the car, on it...

kayak, simpler...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.