The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Memorial Day (Weekend) Adventures

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 24 2015, 2:04pm

Post #1 of 18 (1777 views)
Shortcut
Memorial Day (Weekend) Adventures Can't Post

It is Memorial Day weekend here in the U.S. of A., when we remember our servicemen (and women) who haved died for our country while we simultaneaously celebrate our unofficial beginning of summer! Is anyone haveing any wild (or tame) adventures this weekend that they would like to share with us?

As for my wife and I, while we were out-and-about yesterday we decided to track down an upscale specialty market that Tayna has been meaning to visit (the Orchard Fresh market in Orchard Park, NY, about a mile off of Route 20; the store was opened by the local chain of Tops Friendly Markets). Since we were there, we decided to pick up something for dinner and Tayna settled on burgers. However, she decided that we were not having conventional burgers and we ended up checking out the specialty meats!

There was quite a variety. there was organic ground beef; but the more exotic selections included: Elk (farm-raised), bison, wild boar, and kangaroo; I looked for ground ostrich but, alas, there was none to be found! Tayna picked out the ground 'roo patties (which were surprisingly reasonably priced for a specialty meat). Some kaiser rolls and ingredients for potato salad and we were all set.

So how are 'roo burgers? Not bad, as it turns out, but I don't think we'll have them again anytime soon. Kangaroo tastes a bit like bison or beefalo, similar to beef but with a stronger, almost gamy flavor. And it is fairly lean. It would be great in chili. I still want to try ostrich!

I hope that everyone is enjoying their weekend, long or short. Your turn!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 24 2015, 2:06pm)

Meneldor
Valinor

May 25 2015, 1:37am

Post #2 of 18 (1728 views)
Shortcut
Remembering [In reply to] Can't Post

The second guy from the right was the navigator on my last combat crew and my roommate for 4 months in Iraq. He was killed in the crash of a firefighting plane.
Ryan, you were one of the good guys. We miss you.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 25 2015, 2:31am

Post #3 of 18 (1717 views)
Shortcut
Memorial Day [In reply to] Can't Post

A day for remembering, or a long weekend?

I, with you Meneldor am remembering, the good times, the bad times, and mostly - the lost buddies!

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MOVING COLLAGE!

Thank you for your service!

From one who understands.

BG

Brethil
Half-elven

May 25 2015, 3:00am

Post #4 of 18 (1713 views)
Shortcut
Thanks to you, and everyone that serves or has served. [In reply to] Can't Post

And my thoughts for your friend Ryan. Peace.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

May 25 2015, 3:10am

Post #5 of 18 (1714 views)
Shortcut
Remembering [In reply to] Can't Post

My grandfather's youngest brother (youngest of 12 children) was killed in action in the Mediterranean on April 20,1944. He was officially listed as missing in action until well after the war ended. During that time, and until her death, my great Grandmother was convinced that her son was wounded and could not get home. It wasn't until years after his last sibling died that we were able to find out what happened. For those who are WWII European history buffs, you may know of the SS Paul Hamilton, a Merchant Marine Liberty Ship that was lost at sea carrying 580 men. It was a troop transport and also carried huge stores of ammunition. Some of its story is here.

The photo in that link shows the explosion that rocked ships miles away and was ignited when a torpedo hit the stores of ammunition below the decks where the men were berthed. After this tragedy, policies changed and men and large amounts of ammunition were no longer transported on the same ship.

My great Uncle Bill was only 20 years old when he died and had been trained as a recon photographer for the Army Air Corps. My grandfather, who built him a dark room in the basement, never forgave himself for encouraging his love of photography and blamed himself for his little brother being killed. he used to say that if he had been in another unit, he would have been safe. it was irrational, but it showed the depth of his loss.

I can remember the day I finally saw (through the power of the internet and the release of records) that photograph. Uncle Bill died almost 20 years before I was born but his spirit was alive in every Meiler household, his picture was on the wall in each home. I asked my uncle whether he remembered his grandmother subscribing to Life Magazine. He said they did, which means that they actually saw that picture, never knowing what it meant to them personally.

Memorial Day is many things to many people. To me, it is the day that I remember my grandpa's family and their loss. Billy was the baby but the first to die. He was never forgotten by any of them.

Thank you to all who have served and are serving now.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on May 25 2015, 3:11am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 25 2015, 12:29pm

Post #6 of 18 (1699 views)
Shortcut
In honour of Ryan [In reply to] Can't Post

and to all who serve(d). And thanks to you for your service. *bows deeply*

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 25 2015, 12:42pm

Post #7 of 18 (1697 views)
Shortcut
An adventure, fersher! [In reply to] Can't Post

You two have more guts than I do! There's a little store about 20 miles from me that sells exotic and southern meats. I stopped by once, but they were closed ;)

I'm started the day raising my flag at sunrise and remembering my Dad, and his brothers Andy and Bob. Dad survived the Marines, but both Uncles were lost. I'm re-working Uncle Bob's story dear Daughter of Nienna and I collaborated on with some new information that's been given to me by a wonderful Gentleman. He's been sending me microfiche copies of the de-classified actual papers and reports from the Commanders of the Fleet where Uncle Bob flew in combat and was lost. I've also got letters Bob wrote to his Mother just weeks before he was lost at sea after the Battle of the Marianas.

I'm also remembering classmates and friends lost during the Viet Nam War. My ex was in the Air Force, and my Daughter was in the Navy during Desert Storm. Thankfully, they both survived.

I've had WWII movies on for the past 3 days as I'm working around the house.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 25 2015, 1:33pm

Post #8 of 18 (1703 views)
Shortcut
Bomby's DAD & His only Brother, & His eldest Son were ALL Pilots. [In reply to] Can't Post

All buried within a half mile of each other in Fort Sam Huston
National Cemetery..

My DAD was an Early WW2 Fighter Ace in the Phillipines, Australia,
& the Battle of Britain.

My Uncle was a Bomber Pilot who was shot down & held as
a Prisoner-of-War in Belgium for six Months until VE day.

My cousin was a Navy Pilot who died @ the age of 26, testing a New Plane in California.

OUR "Meneldor" & Bomby are friends on Facebook, & he is aware of my DAD's past accomplishments.

STRANGE but TRUE...there is a Movie Script Stalled with no buyers YET?
that is about my Dad & the "Ace of all Aces", George Preddy

IF any of you are interested in "Meeting Bomby's DAD"

Google "The Last Reunion, A Gathering of Heroes" A Documentary
that was Shown on Memorial Day 2003 on all PBS Stations Nationwide.

DAD appears @ 53 seconds to One minute in.. this..
standing in Front of a P-51 MUSTANG! he says
"We would die for each other" when he looks you right in the EYE.

If you wanted more info..You can PM to the many links
about Bomby's Dad.

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on May 25 2015, 1:36pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 25 2015, 2:54pm

Post #9 of 18 (1690 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

We haven't had a lot of servicepersons in our family that I can readily recall. My maternal (step-)grandfather William Stahl served in WWII, but he never left stateside. A couple of great-uncles saw duty in Vietnam as Marines, one losing his life. One of my father's brothers served a tour in peacetime.

And in my immediate family, the oldest of my sisters (Denise) is retired from the Marine Corps and I, myself, was in the Air Force.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 25 2015, 7:53pm

Post #10 of 18 (1671 views)
Shortcut
So many heroes [In reply to] Can't Post

I had an uncle who was a medic (religious conscientious objector) in the Philippines. He would never utter a word about what he saw or went through. But it must have been truly hell as he was on 100% disability (mental) for the rest of his life. (He died 5 or 6 years ago).
I always considered him to be my second father and wrote him several years before his passing asking if he would (or could) write a short memoir of his war experiences. He said he would but for whatever reason he never did and I certainly wasn’t about to press further.

My wife’s father was a mortar-man in the second wave at Omaha Beach. He spent a year in a VA hospital (again mental; they called it “shell-shock” in those days) recuperating from his war experiences. He also never talked about his combat experiences – only that tears came to his eyes when he saw the beautiful stained-glass of Notre Dame.

My wife’s father and mother both had some 10-11 siblings and many served in WWII. So there are many stories here.

It seems there are those who keep it inside and those who can talk.
I feel a somewhat strange loss not knowing more of what the afore mentioned members of my family went though.

I was drafted in 1966. Spent Apr. ’67 – Apr. ’68 in Vietnam. The little combat I saw is not worth mentioning.

I thank all on this forum for your service and sacrifice.

God Bless You and God Bless America!

May there be peace

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 25 2015, 11:37pm

Post #11 of 18 (1652 views)
Shortcut
Hello & Happy Memorial Day [In reply to] Can't Post

It may be the unofficial 1st day of summer, but here in OKC it is COLD! 64 degrees and rainy, we've had so much rain there are flood warnings everywhere. We really didn't do anything for Memorial Day, sometimes we see a movie but there's nothing interesting showing right now. I did get "Anchors Aweigh" on Netflix, which we watched Saturday. My daughter hadn't seen it, she was impressed with Frank's singing and Gene Kelly's dancing. I just remembered Gene Kelly dancing with a cartoon mouse.

I'm not trying to brag, but I spent 4 years in the USAF from 1979 - 1983. I made the rank of Sergeant before I got out. I can't say anything happened while I was in, it was during the "cold war" with the USSR. However, my Grandfather served during WW2 under Eisenhower. I believe he was in Normandy, although I don't think he was part of the initial invasion. I could be wrong, he never really told me. He made full bird Colonel before he got out; married a Navy nurse too. Both of them died several years ago. I guess in ,my own way I carried on their tradition.

Anyway, I salute all servicemen, both those that lived to tell their tales and those who did not. I spent 2 of my 4 years stationed in England (BEST time of my LIFE!!!), and therefore also tip my hat to any RAC and RAF veterans out there on TORn. Tolkien was a veteran as well, so I salute you all.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 26 2015, 7:42am

Post #12 of 18 (1640 views)
Shortcut
Uniquely Hawaiian Memorial Day [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in Honolulu we lay wreaths at Pearl Harbor and the tombs of WWII casualties in Punchbowl Crater, but there is a uniquely Hawaiian ceremony. It is based on a Buddhist custom, but modified and made ecumenical. It involves making balsa floating lanterns, containing a message to a deceased relative or friend. At sunset, they are placed in the water and allowed to float out to sea. Almost 50,000 people attend, and there are multi-cultural ceremonies and representatives from all major faiths. It's televised, and a very moving experience, every time. Some photos:

Lanterns being placed in the water.

A single lantern.

Lanterns floating out to sea.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 26 2015, 6:07pm

Post #13 of 18 (1616 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

always sad...

worse when it's close to home...

National Public Radio ran many stories on Memorial Weekend, one was the story of the father whose son was killed in the line of duty... the father had mentioned that he often drove his son's truck, a country singer heard this and it became this song...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Drive_Your_Truck

"The song is about the narrator driving a truck owned by his brother, who died in action in the United States Army. Co-writer Connie Harrington was inspired to write it after hearing an interview on Here and Now of a father, Paul Monti, whose son, Medal of Honor recipient Jared, was killed in Afghanistan while trying to save a fellow soldier. In the interview he states that he drives the truck to feel close to his son."

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

JARVIS is my copilot, and it's bigger on the inside...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 26 2015, 6:12pm

Post #14 of 18 (1613 views)
Shortcut
fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

the combination of fire and water is always moving...

To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 26 2015, 6:14pm

Post #15 of 18 (1615 views)
Shortcut
thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

to all who served....

My dad served in a service battery in WWII, but never, as so many others here, said much about it. He survived to come home and live a long, good life.

I heard taps played many times over the weekend, on NPR, many ways... it evokes perfectly the sacrifices of so many.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 27 2015, 2:27am

Post #16 of 18 (1593 views)
Shortcut
Oh Wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

on so many levels. *big hug* So much of your family was touched. As with my Uncle, there is some solice in knowing he was doing what he loved. I'll definitely check out your documentary!!! Thanks!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 27 2015, 2:31am

Post #17 of 18 (1592 views)
Shortcut
*bows deeply* [In reply to] Can't Post

When you sign up, there's no knowing what is coming. I'm so touched and proud that both you Sister and you enlisted. Vietnam was so hard. I'm so sorry for your family loss...

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 28 2015, 4:33pm

Post #18 of 18 (1572 views)
Shortcut
gramma, Everyone.. MET Bomby's DAD.? [In reply to] Can't Post

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPuK1jHVhOI

@:53 seconds.. until 1 minute in IN?

he talks!

Only 4 minutes of this 100 minute video..

HE turns & look right @ you?

When I get to be in my 80's I'll look just like him..!

Ian Brodie & out Menedlor have seen this..
bomby
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.