7 Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit Spinoff Movies We'd Like To See Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdE-uCxQvl8

Pandallo
Rivendell

May 26 2015, 2:26am

Post #2 of 16 (1513 views)
Shortcut
Heavy praise! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't expecting to see a relatively popular film show be so kind to the Hobbit. How refreshing! While the lady's pronunciations may have been a bit off the core of the matter was present and she presents some interesting scenarios. Gandalf at the top though... I don't think she ( or script writer?) realizes that Gandalf was always that powerful when he came to Middle Earth. And because he's basically an Angel he didn't receive any magic training, at least not to my knowledge. There is a sense though that Gandalf isn't perfect and by the time of The Hobbit/LotR he's already forgotten a great deal that he knew.

One of my favorite scenes from LotR is the EE's "I once knew every spell in the tongues of Men, Elves, and Orcs..." when he was in front of Durin's Doors upset with himself that he couldn't figure out this password.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 26 2015, 5:13am

Post #3 of 16 (1505 views)
Shortcut
Honestly, I don't see much potential in most of the list. [In reply to] Can't Post

I still insist that a movie about the journeys and errantries of the young Aragorn is the most commercially viable spin-off for the Hobbit and LotRfilms; although, the role of Aragorn would have to be recast (although I could see Viggo Mortensen narrating the story as King Elessar).

The filmrights held by The Saul Zaentz Company would seem to allow for such a movie which could be derived from the LotR Appendices.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 26 2015, 5:15am)

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

May 26 2015, 6:42pm

Post #4 of 16 (1483 views)
Shortcut
I'll second the nomination for "Young Aragorn" and it has the most possibilities [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Otaku-S, will agree with you that Aragorn is a very viable idea. He actually is the greatest single connector of several Middle Earth storylines and you could weave in the lives of Elrond, Arwen, Galadriel and Gandalf, plus others if the future filmmakers are so inclined.

Aragorn connects to the fall of Numenor, the exodus of the survivors to Middle Earth, the founding of Gondor/Eriador/Arnor and their struggles to survive as kingdoms. As a young warrior future king in training, he battled all over Middle Earth, fought for Rohan, protected the North Kingdom.

He was raised by Elrond, meets Arwen, courts her and pledges himself to her in Lorien, where he also encounters Galadriel, and finally comes under the influence and comradeship to Gandalf, and in turn, Bilbo and Frodo and the hobbits.

It seems he has strong ties to many Middle Earth realms, rulers, counselors, and its various peoples, creatures, etc. All this would be great to pull into his first adventures. Also since superhero movies are all the rage, Aragorn's story is not unlike Batman, Superman if you think about it. Bats and Supe were orphans, Aragorn raised by a single mom and surrogate dad Elrond. ((Elrond is Jor-el like, "I will tell you who you are and what you must do, train you, prepare you ..."))

Murdered parents, destroyed realms, last survivor, sole heir to a great kingdom/fortune, a mission to take on evil, symbols like the Bat logo, the "S" logo, the ring of Barahir, the White Tree all playing important visual roles.

Again, Young Aragorn has potential to be very exciting indeed. Would love to see it made. But who will be Aragorn, how many parts, who makes it, money issues, all rear their heads.

The 13th Warrior, Left Field Caliphate
"from the scroll rooms of Gondor...."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 26 2015, 6:51pm

Post #5 of 16 (1476 views)
Shortcut
Well, one murdered parent. [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn's mother, Gilraen, dies of natural causes after he is grown to adulthood (at least in the legendarium).

One conflict that could work especially well on film would be between Thorongil (Aragorn) and young Denethor who is jealous of the notherner's status as favorite advisor to his father Ecthelion II, the Ruling Steward of Gondor. Denethor deduces Aragorn's identity and suspects that he and Gandalf have hatched a plot to supplant him.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

May 26 2015, 7:44pm

Post #6 of 16 (1467 views)
Shortcut
Young Aragorn vs. Young Denethor--Intriguing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Otaku-S, since film ROTK clearly shows Denethor's distaste for Aragorn (("i will not bow to that ranger from the north"), anything from the past that leads us to that moment would be interesting. Another Batman/Superman mythos moment, where Aragorn knows who he is, knows he has a right to the crown, but must hold himself in check at great effort, keep his secret identity. Also sociology of the kingdoms, Aragorn's people are from the North, have their secret ranger strongholds, but live simply in the wild, compared to the great southern city of Minas Tirith where Denethor was raised. Granted Aragorn did have a nice youth in Elrond's great house, but left for the tough life of the wild as a young man.

Did young Denethor look down on the "poor relations" Aragorn so to speak? Son of a southern lord from a grand city who is holding the kingship, but is not really king, and here is the real king from "a ragged house long bereft of lordship" -- that puts aristocracy, great houses, declining houses, snobbery, class consciousness in play, could be good stuff. Does Denethor think, Aragorn may be an heir, but his house is so weak, so in decline, he doesn't deserve the throne?? Fun to speculate,

The 13th Warrior, Left Field Caliphate,
"from the scroll rooms of Gondor....."

ps used term "murdered parents" generically across the bd, and mentioned gilraen was single mom. technically krypton exploded so not really a murder of kal-el's parents there, but in the endless rehashing of the krypton doom story, some like the Man of Steel filmmakers suggested kryptonians engineering, energy use, tapping planetary power destabilized the core and blew it up. so they did in their own planet and themselves.

5 of 6 parents dead was not an auspicious start for these heroes--and now we have the power of the surrogate parent mentor and what is done to guide and shape the special child into the hero he will become. so we have an odd lot of ma and pa kent, alfred the butler and elrond for raising the youngsters with special powers. boggles the mind, doesn't it???

(This post was edited by the 13th warrior on May 26 2015, 7:45pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 26 2015, 8:36pm

Post #7 of 16 (1460 views)
Shortcut
My apologies. [In reply to] Can't Post

So you did reference Gilraen. My mistake!

Are you familiar with the LotR Appendices? Tolkien discussed young Aragorn and Denethor in Appendix A in the entry for Echthelion II. Aragorn was using his traveling name of Thorongil; this made the young Denethor even more certain that Gandalf was secretly plotting against his father and him. But, of course, he had no proof that he could take to Ecthelion and his accusations remained unspoken.

Gianna
Rohan

May 27 2015, 5:50pm

Post #8 of 16 (1429 views)
Shortcut
Your post... [In reply to] Can't Post

...makes me want to do my own fanfilm based on your outline... Wink

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 27 2015, 6:32pm

Post #9 of 16 (1423 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn on film [In reply to] Can't Post

One interesting aspect of the film-canon is that it creates an opportunity for Aragorn to explore some of the more distant lands of Middle-earth before he enters the service of Rohan and later Gondor. Saruman shouldn't start stirring up trouble for the Horse-lords until TA 2953 (give-or-take) and Aragorn probably left Rivendell about five years before Peter Jackson's version of the Battle of Five Armies in 2940. That is almost twenty years of travel right there!

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 27 2015, 6:34pm)

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

May 27 2015, 7:42pm

Post #10 of 16 (1411 views)
Shortcut
The Appendices are a gold mine..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Otaku-S, I found the Appendices intimidating at first, all those timelines, charts, tables. But re-reading LOTR from elem/jr. high school steadily, I began to make more use of them and enjoy them for their own sake. Made me really respect and admire the Professor, how much effort he put into getting a timeline right for example. I especially liked knowing when different characters were born and how old they were compared to other characters, what else was going on in Middle Earth when they were born. Stories of Aragorn/Arwen, Numenor Kings, and as revealed in Hobbit movies, the strategy of Gandalf in wanting the dragon removed from the equation, Lonely Mt. secured, out of Sauron's grasp, was all great to read, absorb.

"From the scroll rooms of Gondor....."

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

May 27 2015, 7:50pm

Post #11 of 16 (1411 views)
Shortcut
Fanfilm?? Ambitious!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Gianna, I think fanfic is challenging enough, but a fanfilm even more so. I know they're made for Star Trek, Star Wars, would be great to see the young ranger going forth. Good luck with your idea, very flattering if you find my condensed Reader's Digest Middle Earth history notes helpful.

"From the scroll rooms of Gondor...."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 27 2015, 8:31pm

Post #12 of 16 (1405 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn and the Appendices [In reply to] Can't Post

I found, for myself, that the Appendices were best approached a bit at a time. They can be intimidating and confusing if read all at once.

So, we know that Aragorn was born in 2931 and brought to Imladris by his mother at age two after Arathorn, his father, was killed by Orcs. He left Rivendell after he turned twenty, but the Tale of Years tells us that his period of great journeys and errantries did not begin in earnest until 2957, after he had met and befriended Gandalf. That part of his life ended in 2980 when he was reunited with Arwen in Lothlorien.

So, do you think that Aragorn's first explorations to the distant East and South must have taken place before he went to Rohan to serve under King Thengel? I don't think he could have found the time later until after 2980. In that same year, Aragorn: 1) led the raid on the Corsair fleet in Umbar; 2) left the service of Ecthelion II; 3) scouted around the borders of Mordor; 4) was allowed entry to Lothlorien where he spent a season with Arwen and they became betrothed; and 5) returned to Rivendell for a time. That was a busy year!

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

May 28 2015, 7:44am

Post #13 of 16 (1381 views)
Shortcut
I think Aragorn wanted to build relationships first..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Otaku-S, for the enjoyment of speculation, i cannot claim to know the Professor's mind, i would think aragorn, with prepping by elrond, would be of service to the two most important kingdoms of men off the bat, rohan and gondor. this would make complete sense, stay hidden, learn about these rulers and their people, who is trustworthy, what strength they have in battle, and how the kingdoms are faring in general, resources, people content, well fed, loyal to their lords, surviving the challenges of life East of the Misty Mts ??

the appendix with aragorn/arwen suggests aragorn is a bit of a detective, humanistic, what is in the hearts of men, what drives them, and as he gathers knowledge of sauron's plots/schemes learning about the middle earth public enemy no. 1. and how will the dark lord's machinations affect the people of middle earth?? with his journeys deep into the south and the east, wherever, he would build a knowledge base of nearly the whole of middle earth, knowing its inhabitants, how to make alliances. maintain relationships with elves, crucial players in this long deadly game vs. sauron.

also fascinating to me is that aragorn actually went through moria--alone??--and survived with evil memories he does not elaborate on. what did he see down there, the Balrog, squadrons of orcs, was he looking for the dwarves in balin's colony?? he certainly warns gandalf not to take that road, and thinks the wizard may not survive, dark prediction comes true.

what i love about JRR, the stories on the edges of other stories......

"From the scroll rooms of Gondor....."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 28 2015, 1:37pm

Post #14 of 16 (1371 views)
Shortcut
What we know; what we don't know. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien tells us in the Appendices that Aragorn's time as Thoringil in Gondor ended in TA 2980 at the end of his period of journeys and errantries. We also know that he spent time immediately afterward scouting out plots and movements of the Enemy in the Mountains of Shadow; we do not know that he entered the interior or Mordor.

We don't know precisely when Aragorn was in Rohan but he built a reputation there that carried over to his service under Ecthelion, so I presume that there was not a big gap between those two periods. That tells me that our young Ranger probably made his first explorations of the distant East and far South some time during the years starting in 2957 and ending with his pledging service to King Thengel of Rohan.

Appendix A also seems to indicate that Aragorn continued to travel and explore beyond 2980, following his return to Rivendell and receiving counsel from both Elrond and Gilraen.

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

May 29 2015, 8:55am

Post #15 of 16 (1331 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn travelogue..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Otaku-S, now this is getting interesting. The mysterious years spent how far south and how far east for aragorn. I don't know anything about Rhun, not much that I recall, and I am a lightweight on the Christopher Tolkien post-dad compilations, Unfinished Tales, Lay of Beleriand, etc. Any details in those, if you are more familiar than I ?

Rhun fascinates me because it is a huge body of water, the Lake Michigan of Middle Earth, rivers from mirkwood and iron hills flowed into it. makes you wonder about riverside settlements in wide open plains, east of mirkwood, south of iron hills. were these steppes, grassy or something more desolate?? would affect what you could build, grow. also dangers of orcs from mordor?? rhun has river flowing to mordor. what sort of river traffickers would deal with orcs and mordor for supplies, resources?? I think they'd be crazy--lands there might be too close to ash mts. for viable existence by anyone anyway. also the huge distance between mordor and erebor,dale,iron hills is compensated for because it appears empty, not an obstacle course like getting over misty mts. so sauron did attack that way during war of the ring sending his troops across vast distance.

aragron's purpose again might be to scout, gather intell, figure out who's neutral, loyal to gondor and the west, slipping to sauron's camp. again, frustrating to not know more about rhun. i think eomer and aragorn actually travelled there after aragorn was king. wonder if before that, as the ranger,warrior he had some treaty leeway/diplomatic clout for agreements to aid and get support of folks who opposed sauron. again this is great speculation to do. the stories on the edge of stories.

"From the scroll rooms of Gondor..."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 29 2015, 12:21pm

Post #16 of 16 (1323 views)
Shortcut
The Distant East and Far South [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien drew maps of the greater Middle-earth that were reproduced in HOME Volume IV, The Shaping of Middle-earth. Karen Wynn Fonstad incorporated this material in the 1991 revised edition of The Atlas of Middle-earth. I heartily recommend this book.

I think that probably the lands between Rhovanion and the Sea of Rhun were grassy plains, becoming desert closer to the Ash Mountains and Mordor. The eastern lands adjacent to the forests that parallel the southern half of the Orocarni should be fairly lush and much like the Anduin Vales. The equatorial regions of Far Harad should be largely rain forests and jungle.

When we are told that Aragorn traveled to the distant East, I assume that he made it at least as far as the Orocarni (Mountains of the East) and he might have even gazed upon the East Sea and/or the Inner Seas.

We also learn that Aragorn journeyed far enough south to see new constellations, so he penetrated into Far Harad at least to the Girdle of Arda (the equator), and perhaps all the way to the southern coast.

Map of Arda: http://www.tolkienforums.com/...20after%20Change.jpg

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 29 2015, 12:24pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.