** LotR Chapter Discussion, Book II: Lothlorien, part I **
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

arithmancer
Grey Havens

May 21 2015, 10:15pm

Post #26 of 48 (3373 views)
Shortcut
Or... [In reply to] Can't Post

...he might have reasoned they seemed to be generally headed South, and so waited near the river Anduinat the borders of Lorien...?

squire
Half-elven

May 22 2015, 12:09am

Post #27 of 48 (3364 views)
Shortcut
That's not a Tolkien coinage [In reply to] Can't Post

"Living rock" is the accepted term for the undisturbed bedrock out of which a structure is carved or cut by man, whether cavern, steps, pillars, or whatever. Tolkien may well have enjoyed the inherent poeticism and irony of the term in the context of his universe where Nature is more 'alive' than we moderns like to believe is possible. But as a term of art in stonework it long predates him and is used widely.

I too think Aragorn's implied return to Cerin Amroth after the Fellowship leaves, but not as "living man", is a reference to his statement "here my heart dwells ever".

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Meneldor
Valinor

May 22 2015, 1:00am

Post #28 of 48 (3373 views)
Shortcut
"But... but... he'll see the big board!" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

What I'm never clear on is what exactly a Dwarf was forbidden to see. Were Lorien's military secrets plastered on billboards lining the road? Did nuclear missile silos beckon from either side of the path? Were their secret codes carves into the bark of all the passing trees?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 22 2015, 1:44am

Post #29 of 48 (3358 views)
Shortcut
Ah, yes, the ‘living rock’ and ‘stone’ [In reply to] Can't Post

Got me to thinking about this word (living).

“No living man may hinder me!”

The word ‘living’ is unnecessary. “No man may hinder me!” Mad
Here (and elsewhere) he uses ‘living’ to enhance an otherwise bland declaration.

Also if we take the sentence quite literally, “No living man may hinder me!”, we could somewhat jestingly say that the Witch King would be in deep trouble from a DEAD man! –Smile
"A 'dead' man may hinder me!" Wink

Now how would Gandalf have fared on Amon Sul if he had a ‘Dead Man of Dunharrow’ at his side?

Brethil
Half-elven

May 22 2015, 2:46am

Post #30 of 48 (3358 views)
Shortcut
Redirected force (talking shop here) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I'm also admiring Tolkien's care for detail in this matter. The injures described seem very feasible to me: the mesh of the chain mail ought to spread the force of the blow (so avoiding a puncture wound) but I suppose it wouldn't redirect the force of the blow very much, so that energy has to go somewhere (in this case the energy goes into flexing Frodo's ribs and hurling him into the wall).

(c.c.f female fantasy armour: breastplates - in more than one meaning of the word - with those deeply impractical bikini or bustier designs. But those, I guess, are really aimed at redirecting eyeballs, not impact weapons...)

One thing not often accounted for is deceleration injury: in that sense, because no armor will help you. Its the result of the inertial energy of tissues and fluids that continue to move in a given direction and are suddenly stopped. There is a bounce-back and/or tearing effect depending on the speed of both the progress and the cessation of movement (= total impact force) and it can result in internal tearing, contusion and ultimately even severe brain injuries. The classic is the MVA or blunt force concussion, where the brain is bounced about, and the actual contusion is on the opposite side of the direction of the insult.

Frodo feeling light-headed, as Sam was, might have made this inclusive of concussion, which I would expect; but Frodo's injuries are concentrated in his chest. So in his case the decelerative-origin pulmonary contusions (no laughing matter at all, people with that type of injury - very often MVA drivers hitting the steering wheel - are often placed on ventilators until they heal) as well as rib injuries may have caused his shortness of breath.

And yes - NOW we see the point of that Hawt Girl Armor. Wink "A diversion".

(This post was edited by Brethil on May 22 2015, 2:53am)

Brethil
Half-elven

May 22 2015, 2:52am

Post #31 of 48 (3352 views)
Shortcut
Healing as friends? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We see an evolution of Gimli and Legolas here, post-Moria. The conversation they have after Nimrodel's song seem to indicate a thawing...even a sort of accord, as Legolas does not blame the Dwarves for the rise of evil and Gimli does not mock the Elvish way of sleeping in trees. Just time, or an effect of being in Lothlorien? Or something else?

Are Legolas and Gimli being trained and healed? They've been travelling with Gandalf, visiting Elrond in Rivendell, and are now approaching Lothlorien. So they've been around all three of the Elven rings, not to mention the elessar. Gimli and Legolas's friendship is finally realized right after they meet Galadriel.

Yes, that's exactly what I was wondering Oliphaunt; if the movement towards friendship is an expression of 'healing' and a return of sibling-hood of the races, who are both ultimately Children of Eru (even if one is adopted, and rather red-headed-stepchild at that.) Both the true King and the land of Lorien - powered by Nenya - have deep healing powers. One wonders!

Brethil
Half-elven

May 22 2015, 2:54am

Post #32 of 48 (3357 views)
Shortcut
If we start discussing billboards [In reply to] Can't Post

leading into Lothlorien, I fear unmitigated silliness will follow. And as you posted in FB, you can't go there to complain either because its been infiltrated.

The horror. ShockedLaugh

Brethil
Half-elven

May 22 2015, 3:06am

Post #33 of 48 (3348 views)
Shortcut
That's possible [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...he might have reasoned they seemed to be generally headed South, and so waited near the river Anduinat the borders of Lorien...?

and I note the area where Gollum and the Orcs cross Nimrodel, is right on the outskirts of entering the deeper precincts of Lorien. So Gollum had to cross Nimrodel to scrabble at the tree-base, but would he cross Celebrant? If not, I think you have the right of it, and he would have been forced south and watched the Anduin.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 22 2015, 3:08am

Post #34 of 48 (3347 views)
Shortcut
I wonder too [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Part of me likes the romantic (but I believe improbable) idea that his spirit somehow came to Cerin Amroth, maybe lingering there and waiting for Arwen, so they depart together, like Beren & Luthien. But I keep thinking that's more wishful thinking than authorial intent.

Since JRRT felt the tale of Arwen and Aragorn is so important to the saga - do they get the same supernatural pass, beyond life and love, that Beren and Luthien get?

But the way its written, its just a wisp of suggestion. And very evocative, plus having that hint of jeopardy for Aragorn.

oliphaunt
Lorien

May 22 2015, 12:00pm

Post #35 of 48 (3330 views)
Shortcut
Beyond the circles of the world [In reply to] Can't Post

Since JRRT felt the tale of Arwen and Aragorn is so important to the saga - do they get the same supernatural pass, beyond life and love, that Beren and Luthien get?

I want it to be so! Aragorn told Arwen to hope beyond death. Surely he didn't get it wrong.

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 22 2015, 1:41pm

Post #36 of 48 (3326 views)
Shortcut
The Batman/Adam West version of Lorien? [In reply to] Can't Post

In that 1960's TV show of Batman, everything was very helpfully labelled ("Secret Headquarters" etc.)

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

My avatar image s looking a bit blue, following the rumbling of my 2 "secrets" Wink : http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=855358#855358

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 22 2015, 1:58pm

Post #37 of 48 (3322 views)
Shortcut
I do not think so. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I want it to be so! Aragorn told Arwen to hope beyond death. Surely he didn't get it wrong.

Surely not. The case of Beren and Luthien was unique. And even though they were granted second lives, those were mortal lives and the couple eventually died again and passed on into whatever afterlife is intended for mortal Men.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

oliphaunt
Lorien

May 22 2015, 2:03pm

Post #38 of 48 (3319 views)
Shortcut
Exactly the point. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, that is exactly the point. "Whatever afterlife is intended" is the hope beyond death. Aragorn dies without fear because he has this unshakable hope.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 22 2015, 2:16pm

Post #39 of 48 (3317 views)
Shortcut
One difference [In reply to] Can't Post

Luthien was still an Elf (and half Maia!) when she died of grief and passed into the Halls of Mandos. Arwen has already surrendered her immortality and chosen to live (and die) as a mortal woman.

I thought that you were asking if Aragorn and Arwen might have been granted a second life, perhaps on Tol Eressea, before meeting their final deaths. Again, I don't think that would have been the case. Unlike Beren and Luthien, they both lived long and full lives in Middle-earth both together and apart.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 22 2015, 2:38pm

Post #40 of 48 (3312 views)
Shortcut
But... we left Billboard Baggins back at Rivendell :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

My avatar image s looking a bit blue, following the rumbling of my 2 "secrets" Wink : http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=855358#855358

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 22 2015, 3:13pm

Post #41 of 48 (3323 views)
Shortcut
Had there been billboards along the road from Bree to Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

the hobbits could have scurried from one to another and hidden behind them from the Black Riders and had a much safer journey.

On the other hand, the Black Riders could have hidden behind them too while planning an ambush, and wouldn't that be awkward if they ran into each other that way?!

I suppose there's a good reason why communities ban billboards in open country. Eagles could fly into them unexpectedly, and then you'd never get the Ring to Mt Doom that way.

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 22 2015, 3:47pm

Post #42 of 48 (3313 views)
Shortcut
well, it could be worse... :) [In reply to] Can't Post

"I am ..."
"......Hodor.."
"meep..."
"...achu!"

~~~~~~

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 22 2015, 3:48pm

Post #43 of 48 (3309 views)
Shortcut
not so much "shop talk" as "shock talk"! Interesting insight into Frodo's light-headedness! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 22 2015, 7:09pm

Post #44 of 48 (3309 views)
Shortcut
"He heard faintly a sound like sniffing..." [In reply to] Can't Post

Hammond &Scull suggest that this bit (Gollum presumably scrabbling at the base of Frodo's tree) is the event foreseen in Frodo's Crickhollow Dream.

Hmm- maybe.

~~~~~~

oliphaunt
Lorien

May 23 2015, 1:50pm

Post #45 of 48 (3281 views)
Shortcut
And a similarity! [In reply to] Can't Post

Luthien was still an Elf (and half Maia!) when she died of grief and passed into the Halls of Mandos

It is my understanding that Luthien, together with Beren, died after a brief, but lovely, mortal life together. That's why Arwen "made the choice of Luthien" - to accept a mortal death so she wouldn't be separated from her beloved during his life or after his death. Luthien and Arwen truly died and left the world. So Luthien died twice. Or so I thought...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 23 2015, 2:13pm

Post #46 of 48 (3279 views)
Shortcut
Well, yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

However, it was Luthien's second death that was her mortal death. When she first died of grief, it was as an Elf. Arwen only gets the one.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 29 2015, 1:48am

Post #47 of 48 (3169 views)
Shortcut
I would agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"He heard faintly a sound like sniffing..." Hammond &Scull suggest that this bit (Gollum presumably scrabbling at the base of Frodo's tree) is the event foreseen in Frodo's Crickhollow Dream.

Hmm- maybe.

As Gollum is Frodo's unseen and completely unintended salvation, him appearing in a prophetic dream makes perfect sense (in retrospect).

(Of course, I write 'salvation' but my original typo was 'salivation': Freudian Gollum typo?Laugh)

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 29 2015, 12:13pm

Post #48 of 48 (3162 views)
Shortcut
"He heard a sound like drooling and slobbering."// [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.