Is it okay to like the movies?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

May 22 2015, 9:43pm

Post #26 of 37 (1331 views)
Shortcut
Yes. Absolutely. Positively. [In reply to] Can't Post

And, contrary to comments that suggest otherwise, you can like them without stipulations too (i.e. acknowledging that they're so-called "bad adaptations", etc.).

I love many a film that others utterly despise. Likewise, I despise many that others love. One of the most wonderful things about art is that we all have our own unique reactions to it, just as we all bring different things from our selves to it.

Like the movies. Love the movies. And never let anybody tell you it's not okay, or that's it's only okay under certain conditions. That's their affair, not yours.

Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

DanielLB
Immortal

May 22 2015, 10:02pm

Post #27 of 37 (1316 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Just curious - do you REALLY have a problem with the acting, or were you playing Devil's Advocate?

I don't need to pussyfoot around with my opinions to make or prove a point. Although I'm not interested in discussing it much, I'll tell you that there are 5 actors I have problems with in the last movie. Some of them may just be due to poor characterisation. But the acting fails because of the terrible characterisations (the two are almost mutually inclusive). But I would also emphasise that, on the whole, many of the performances are spot on. Ken Stott and Martin Freeman are perfect in their roles. As are the majority of the cast.

Dwarewien
Rohan

May 22 2015, 10:18pm

Post #28 of 37 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Of course it is... [In reply to] Can't Post

since I've never had a problem with any of the Hobbit movies (other than my favorite character dying, but most fans don't like that). And like you, I also haven't heard of either Richard Armitage or Martin Freeman before the Hobbit movies came out, but unlike you, I'm more into the character of Thorin than the actor who portrays him (though I'd still list him as a favorite, since after all, he plays the character). I never much cared for the book version (not that I hated him, there was just a few things about him that I didn't understand, which the movie seems to clear up).

I don't understand what many of the "purists" are complaining about, since the changes and additions never seemed to bother me that much. Practically everything I like is based on a book (including Jurassic Park, and even though I've read both of the books, I don't mind if the movies are a bit different. They're close enough), so I'd miss out on a lot of good movies and TV series if I was like that. What part of based on do you not understand? I find movies and TV series that are 100% accurate to the source material kind of boring anyway.Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

lionoferebor
Rohan

May 23 2015, 1:02am

Post #29 of 37 (1286 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

Adapt (adaptation) and different are not even synonyms. Though both are synonyms of change and modify. However, adapt is a synonym of match and harmonized, where as different is a synonym of mismatch and unharmonized.

Therefore to adapt is to change or modify something so that it is still recognizable to the original piece of work. Different is to change or modify something that it is no longer recognizable to the original piece of work.

So were The Hobbit movies an adaption of the book? Or were they different from the book? I think that depends on who you ask. All I can say is I find myself telling my son more times than not "that's not in the book" with the Hobbit films than I do with the LOTR films. Not to mention in the director commentaries of DOS, PJ is heard saying "wow, there's quite a bit not in the book". (That's not an exact quote, but it's something along those lines).

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

May 23 2015, 8:29am

Post #30 of 37 (1231 views)
Shortcut
We might never know. [In reply to] Can't Post

"and no I don't see how anyone can think another actor (for instance, Ian McShane) could have done better."

Because we're unlikely to ever see this happen.
You've experienced these films as they were still coming out, waiting for the next parts each year, so that is probably another factor as well.
Certainly there must be others out there who would've been great for Thorin as well, maybe even better, or maybe none of them better, but we might never know.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 23 2015, 12:57pm

Post #31 of 37 (1199 views)
Shortcut
Wrong comparison. [In reply to] Can't Post

Adapt is a verb (to change, or change something, to suit different conditions or a different purpose). Adaptation is a noun. The other noun you should have been looking for is adaption. According to the dictionaries to which I have access, adaptation and adaption are indeed synonymous.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 23 2015, 1:06pm)

lionoferebor
Rohan

May 23 2015, 3:58pm

Post #32 of 37 (1166 views)
Shortcut
If you must know... [In reply to] Can't Post

According to the dictionary I referred to (before writing my previous post) adaption is another variation of the word adaptation which is a noun defined as "the act of adapting" or "the state of being adapted." Lol, that's a rather vague definition. Unsure So I researched adapt - the base word of adapting and adapted, as well as adaptation and adaption - a verb meaning "to make suitable to requirements or conditions." So, in other words, adaptation - or adaption - means "the act of making [adapting] suitable to requirements or conditions."

The question was "Doesn't the word 'Adaptation' mean Different?" Based on the definitions of adaption and adapt this question could have also been written as "Doesn't the word 'Adaption' mean Different' or "Doesn't the word 'Adapt' mean Different?" The comparison I was making was not adapt to one of its other variation, but different to adaptation - as that was the question - or rather different to adapt as the word adaptation as stated above means "the act of adapting."

For the record different is an adjective defined as "not alike in character or quality; distinct in nature; dissimilar."

Once I had referred to the dictionary, I then turned to the thesaurus. According to the thesaurus "change" and "modify" are both synonyms of adapt and different, though different and adapt are not synonyms. I know confusing Crazy. One reason maybe that "mismatch" and "unharmonized" are also synonyms of different, but antonyms of adapt. Based on this while adapt (adaptation) and different both mean to change or modify...one means to change or modify while still remaining in harmony or closely matching the original piece of work, where as the other means to change or modify to the state of no longer being in harmony or no longer matching the original piece of work.

So adapt (adaptation/adaption) and different while similar at the surface are not the same when you get to root of each word.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

May 23 2015, 8:18pm

Post #33 of 37 (1137 views)
Shortcut
The hobbit movies are not an adaptation on the book? [In reply to] Can't Post

I would think that would be a very difficult argument to make. Sounds a bit silly to me. It's reasonable to debate how literal they are, but surely not whether they are an adaptation or not.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 24 2015, 3:44am

Post #34 of 37 (1096 views)
Shortcut
Yay Episodes I, II and III! [In reply to] Can't Post

III (RotS) being my favourite of course.

Angelic

sador
Half-elven

May 24 2015, 7:31pm

Post #35 of 37 (1061 views)
Shortcut
That's one more, or one less, than me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I slept through Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.

And to the OP - yes, it's perfectly okay to like the films better than the book. I don't share your opinion - which is part of the reason why I visit the RR often, and this forum seldom.
All those who feel like me are invited over there, as an alternative to squabbling with the movie-fans.

Adrianna
Lorien

May 26 2015, 1:47am

Post #36 of 37 (997 views)
Shortcut
A preference. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not read the books yet but I enjoyed both the Hobbits and LOTR movies. Now would my views change once I've read the books ? I can't say. I try to keep an open mind about things Everybody have there likes and dislikes about the movies, actors, actresses and there is nothing wrong with that. Not one person is right or wrong about it. It's just a preference.

Some of the actors I did not know about until I show them on the screen.

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

joec_34
Rivendell

May 26 2015, 4:18pm

Post #37 of 37 (958 views)
Shortcut
I like them too... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Episode I is my favorite (of I-III). I used to hate II, but I watched it again a couple years ago and was surprised to find it enjoyable. I struggle to stay engaged when Anakin is all angsty; Obi-wan makes up for it in my eyes.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.