The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
For fans of Dis.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 21 2015, 7:49pm

Post #1 of 3 (7287 views)
Shortcut
For fans of Dis. Can't Post

I've been working on a short story (that started out as an adventure for The One Ring Roleplaying Game) where I include Thorin's sister Dís as a supporting character. I am posting a snippet below; I hope you enjoy it:

"About Lady Dís," asked Kelda, "how is it that she still resides in the Blue Mountains? I thought that all of the Longbeards had returned to Lonely Mountain after learning of the death of Smaug."

"Most did." explained Bofur, "Except for a few who had intermarried with the Folk of Nogrod and Belegost. Dís came with the first wave of returnees. The first thing she did was go to the tombs of her brother and sons. She refused to leave them for three days; food and drink had to be brought to her and we practically had to plead with her to get her to eat or drink.

"Dís remained in Erebor for nearly a year. She was profoundly unhappy, though, and the Mountain became unbearable to her. You must understand that she was only a young child when the dragon invaded the Mountain and robbed her of her mother. Her other brother, Frenin, was slain years later at Moria where her grandfather had died at the blade of the Orc-chieftain Azog. Those of Durin's Folk who could not go to war against the goblins (mostly women and children) were dwelling either in the Iron Hills or were, like Dís, in Dunland. After the Battle of Nanduhirion, Thráin led his surviving children and the rest of his followers to the Blue Mountains. Here is where Dís grew to womanhood; here is where she wed and raised her sons. Here is where Dís feels at home--and at peace."

Brillamar's eyes were shining with tears. "That is the saddest story that I've ever heard." All of the company were moved by Bofur's tale. "It's no wonder that Lady Dís came back to Thorin's Halls."

Kelda, noting a glint in the old Dwarf's eye, gave him a shrewd look. "You love her, don't you?"

"Even if I did, lass, I have a family of my own now. And Dís has no eyes for anyone living. I do love her as if she were my own sister. Dáin ensures that his cousin is comfortable and well cared-for here and I am content with that."

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 24 2015, 10:12pm

Post #2 of 3 (7198 views)
Shortcut
Keep it UP! Very Nice..O-s..// [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 24 2015, 10:16pm

Post #3 of 3 (7198 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't finished the story yet, but I've already made some revisions to what I've written so far.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.