Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Pperspective and distances over Ephel Duath and Mordor.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

May 21 2015, 6:58pm

Post #1 of 7 (4799 views)
Shortcut
Pperspective and distances over Ephel Duath and Mordor. Can't Post

Is there anywhere and essay or something where it explains how far is Ephel Duath from the gate of minas tirith?

I would like to know if the distances are just like in the book, if the mountains would look like that big. For what we would need to know how tall are the mountains of the shadow. Because in the book it says that are about 50 miles, and I dont know if at that distance the Mordor mountains would look like that big.

Even in Gorgoroth Ii have strong concerne that barad dur looks to be behind MTDOOM but looks even the same size from wich Ii understand that the tower is bigger than the volcano

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

May 23 2015, 4:08pm

Post #2 of 7 (4742 views)
Shortcut
a site with distances and travel times that might have what you want..... [In reply to] Can't Post

fan based but as accurate as obsessed people can get.... there are others out there as well. Might prove a starting point anyway.

http://www.theoriginalseries.com/traveltimes.htm

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

May 24 2015, 1:03am

Post #3 of 7 (4728 views)
Shortcut
One very useful source for such questions [In reply to] Can't Post

is Karen Wynn Fonstad's THE ATLAS OF MIDDLE-EARTH, which is a widely cited book. It covers Arda as a whole, not just M-e.

The distances in the films seem almost invariably to be much shorter than in the books. For example, at the end of THE TWO TOWERS, Gandalf, Theoden, and the others can see Mt. Doom clearly from the top of the ridge at Helm's Deep. When you consider how far the series of beacons stretch between Minas Tirith and Helm's Deep, that should be impossible, whether because the distance is too great or the mountains are in between the group and Mordor.

Kristin

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 24 2015, 2:19pm

Post #4 of 7 (4699 views)
Shortcut
Mount Doom from Helm's Deep [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps that is a different peak that's visible from the Hornsburg and not Mount Doom (it's been a while since I've sat down and watched any of the LotR films). Either way, perhaps we should dismiss such scenes as dramatic license and not take them too literally. The LotR movies do provide some sense of the time passing, if only by showing the changing of the seasons if we pay enough attention. The worst offender in that trilogy is FotR during the period between Bilbo leaving the Shire to the departure of Frodo and Sam from Bag End, when it isn't apparent if weeks, months or years have passed.

The Hobbit movies are far worse in respect to showing the passage of time. Everything feels rushed (while at the same time it seems to have taken weeks longer for the company to reach Lake-town).

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 27 2015, 11:59pm

Post #5 of 7 (4610 views)
Shortcut
Bomby need to Buy Karen's SECOND Edition. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mine's is from 1981..The Second has more
Color & even More Corrections I understand..
Heart

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 28 2015, 3:11am

Post #6 of 7 (4612 views)
Shortcut
The Atlas of Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

The revised edition of Karen Wynn Fonstad's The Atlas of Middle-earth (1991) incorporates material from the first five HOME volumes, espiecially HOME IV, The Shaping of Middle-earth.

I disagree with her placement of the dwarf-city of Belegost to the south of Nogrod in the Blue Mountains. But, even ignoring that, Ms. Fonstad's location for Belegost in the Second Age is much too far south. If we agree that her original site is correct then Belegost should have been drowned at the bottom of the Gulf of Lune.

Apologies if I've been overly pedantic.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

moreorless
Gondor

Jun 26 2015, 8:49pm

Post #7 of 7 (4313 views)
Shortcut
Honestly though I think they were choices well made.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Perhaps that is a different peak that's visible from the Hornsburg and not Mount Doom (it's been a while since I've sat down and watched any of the LotR films). Either way, perhaps we should dismiss such scenes as dramatic license and not take them too literally. The LotR movies do provide some sense of the time passing, if only by showing the changing of the seasons if we pay enough attention. The worst offender in that trilogy is FotR during the period between Bilbo leaving the Shire to the departure of Frodo and Sam from Bag End, when it isn't apparent if weeks, months or years have passed.

As you say most of these scenes probably shouldn't be taken as an accurate measure of distance(given NME is sposed to be Earth so has the same curvature) so much as a bit of artistic licence. I think its qute effective most of the time as well giving us a sense of interconnection between locations that could otherwise be lacking.

As far as the start of the film goes I think it makes sense that we don't see the passage of time(although Gandalf does go to Minas Tirith which even to a non reader clearly looks distant and exotic) because dramatically the scene with Bilbo and the ring feeds directly into what follows.

That's clearly very different from the book where the tension around the Nazgul doesn't follow on directly from Bilbo giving up the wing but rather builds more slowly with the chase though the shire.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.