An honest discussion about Alfrid
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Bofur01
Lorien

May 23 2015, 8:27pm

Post #76 of 85 (1471 views)
Shortcut
But the orcs in Sauron's army in BotFA [In reply to] Can't Post

Were only 30000 strong according to WETA digital.... Nothing compared to the 200000 at Minas Tirith...

Starling
Half-elven

May 23 2015, 8:28pm

Post #77 of 85 (1470 views)
Shortcut
And [In reply to] Can't Post

in all the theatres I saw the film, people laughed like mad at Alfrid.
But then we New Zealanders are terribly unsophisticated and have no idea about proper humour.
Wink

Milieuterrien
Rohan

May 23 2015, 10:33pm

Post #78 of 85 (1442 views)
Shortcut
Yep, proper humour is private property. [In reply to] Can't Post

...Property of Jackson-haters. You know, those who usually associate their proper-humour perception with their unerring bad-cgi perception.

The others may keep thinking that if young people laugh for one 'gross' reason the first time they see the movie, maybe further on they'll be able to laugh or cheer for other reasons. It's creative addition.
Meantime, guess that those who hates will keep on ranting about their bad-cgi perception until they get old. Their pleasure.

Glorfindela
Valinor

May 23 2015, 10:53pm

Post #79 of 85 (1443 views)
Shortcut
If you want to get personal… [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Perhaps they caught sight of you glowering and were cowed?

In actual fact, they wouldn't have caught sight of me since it was dark in the cinema, so they wouldn't have been 'cowed' – as you are no doubt aware. No, during the many times I saw the films in London cinemas, no one laughed at any of the gross moments, and no one cheered at the moronic Legolas excesses. As I said, the only thing I noticed was a kind of baffled, embarrassed silence – and discussions afterwards about the awfulness of such scenes. But then your love of such scenes and my disgust at them can probably be explained as differences in taste – and the fact that we keep different company.

Do you honestly mean to say that you find burping, farting, food-chucking and excreting kinds of scenes even remotely funny? If you do, then your sense of humour is completely different from mine. Moreover, despite the fact that I love much in PJ's Middle-Earth films, I do not feel the need to be an apologist for his every self-indulgence, something he has seemed to revel in increasingly in some apparently desperate need to 'have fun'. Such 'fun' is absolutely nothing to do with Tolkien and it added nothing positive to the films. It is simply awful and has a hugely detrimental effect on the films.

I'm not even sure why you are responding to my messages, since I have made my position clear several times and it is patently obvious that we will never agree on this.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

May 24 2015, 1:30am

Post #80 of 85 (1416 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear. My humour has been lost there. [In reply to] Can't Post

For which I both apologise and note the irony.

I found a number of things funny which you did not and, as I say, noted a number of things which, whilst not funny to me personally, did not seem to be aimed at grumpy middle aged viewers such as myself (and rightly, it seems to me, so).

I don't think, as a very general comment, po-facedness has much of a place in reflecting upon these adaptations, any more than scandalised Victortian ankle glimpsing. I suspect kids will have found funny the sort of things which kids have found funny since I was myself a child, and long before.

AshNazg
Gondor

May 24 2015, 1:31am

Post #81 of 85 (1419 views)
Shortcut
Something that worries me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is in a recent interview where PJ was asked what he wants to do next he said "I'd like to do a comedy, because I'm good at that" (or something similar). So either someone is laughing at this weird humour and encouraging him, or we've yet to see PJ's hidden talents as a comedian, because it's certainly not evident in his previous work.

(By the way, I haven't seen you on the boards in a long while. Hope you're well. Smile)

(This post was edited by AshNazg on May 24 2015, 1:34am)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

May 24 2015, 5:37am

Post #82 of 85 (1399 views)
Shortcut
mixed feelings [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a fan of his early work. So as much as some of the gross humor bugs me when it pops up in The Hobbit, it kind of makes me smile at the same time. It reminds me that the guy who made Meet the Feebles somehow ended up in Middle-earth.Laugh

It reminds me of Sean Astin and Elijah Wood on the Two Towers commentary during the "maggoty bread" scene.

Sean: Come on, Peter. This isn't Braindead. This is Lord of the Rings!
Elijah: I loved it.

(or something like that)

Glorfindela
Valinor

May 24 2015, 8:47am

Post #83 of 85 (1376 views)
Shortcut
PJ and comedy [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Is in a recent interview where PJ was asked what he wants to do next he said "I'd like to do a comedy, because I'm good at that" (or something similar). So either someone is laughing at this weird humour and encouraging him, or we've yet to see PJ's hidden talents as a comedian, because it's certainly not evident in his previous work.

(By the way, I haven't seen you on the boards in a long while. Hope you're well. Smile)

Toilet 'humour' is definitely not my bag – as you might guess! – so I certainly wouldn't go and see any 'comedy' PJ produced.

You are right. I stayed away from this site for a few months because I was finding it increasingly irritating (for several reasons). In addition, I wanted to get a cool perspective on the films, without seeing them or discussing them for several months. I now feel I have a good overview of the things I like and dislike – the latter have been intensified, if anything.

I also have an enormous amount of work, and it is a distraction coming here frequently! I am well, though – and hope you are. Wink

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on May 24 2015, 8:49am)

adt100
Rohan

May 26 2015, 4:20pm

Post #84 of 85 (1294 views)
Shortcut
I can understand people not liking him, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

to say he adds nothing at all to the films is imho completely incorrect, as many more eloquent than I have written in detail. I also find it somewhat disrespectful of PJ/Philippa/Fran and looking at JRRT in somewhat rose-tinted glasses when you look at some of the 'characters' in the book.

Eruonen
Half-elven

May 26 2015, 5:18pm

Post #85 of 85 (1266 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it appears PJ was trying to add the lessons of greed and redemption [In reply to] Can't Post

into the theme. Bard, seeking redemption for Girion and Alfrid, The Master, Thranduil and of course Thorin illustrate greed. Thorin gains redemption and to a lesser extent so does Thranduil. The Master and Alfrid pay the ultimate price (so we are told re Alfrid in the EE).

Killing The Master was a moment of cinematic gotcha. I too would have preferred to see him and Alfrid deal with the consequences a bit longer.

I don't discount the need for some humor interspersed within a heavy story line. It does seem Bard goes out of his way to offer redemption opportunities for Alfrid (probably foolishly given the gravity of the situation).

In the theater, his scenes generated chuckles.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.