The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
So tell us... WHAT have you been watching this week? *Big Bang Theory spoilers*
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

zarabia
Tol Eressea

May 28 2015, 3:52pm

Post #51 of 65 (575 views)
Shortcut
Have you caught up on Community? There's paintball...(slightly spoilerish) [In reply to] Can't Post

http://io9.com/...-soldiers-1706075163

Last week's episode was a spy thriller inspired paintball "homage" with a nod to Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Fun fact, just in case you didn't know, The Winter Soldier was directed by the Russo brothers who, of course, also directed many of the epidodes from the first three seasons of Community. They were also co-executive producers with Dan Harmon.

In fact, I think they are part of what's missing from these last two seasons. I know they weren't part of the writing team, but I think maybe they influenced the stories more than dirctors of a sit-com might ordinarily do. Just a thought.

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

(This post was edited by zarabia on May 28 2015, 3:54pm)

Dwarewien
Rohan

May 28 2015, 9:56pm

Post #52 of 65 (594 views)
Shortcut
The only TV show I'm looking forward to... [In reply to] Can't Post

is Season 3 of Under the Dome, which premieres June 25th (which is a Thursday instead of the usual Monday it's been on for the last two summers, so it's going to take little time to get used to the new day. Same time slot, though, which is 10:00 p.m) as well as the new Jurassic Park sequel, Jurassic World, so June is going to be a busy month. I have no interest in Hannibal whatsoever, so I think I'll pass on that one. I never even seen the Silence of the Lambs films (or have any desire to do so, even though I have no problem with horror, being quite the Stephen King fan), so I'd probably be lost, anyway. Just because you have a favorite, doesn't mean you have to see everything he's in. Even I don't do that, though I may still give Sleepwalker a try, since there is one psychological thriller that I like (1408, which is another Stephen King adaptation).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

(This post was edited by dernwyn on May 29 2015, 10:38pm)

Kim
Valinor

May 29 2015, 3:17am

Post #53 of 65 (558 views)
Shortcut
Not quite [In reply to] Can't Post

I caught up on a few eps last week, but still have several to watch. I wasn't aware of the directors, you may have a point there. Paintball is always a good motivator though. I'm not sure why, but the fact that I have to watch it on my computer makes it harder than just tuning in on my tv - maybe because I can't read TORn at the same time... Laugh

Patty
Immortal

May 30 2015, 4:01pm

Post #54 of 65 (535 views)
Shortcut
The last episode of Outlander [In reply to] Can't Post

Too brutal for words, but with an emotional payoff.

There be Emmys here, I reckon.

Permanent address: Into the West

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

May 31 2015, 3:11am

Post #55 of 65 (531 views)
Shortcut
Geez, you weren't kidding. (Minor Finale spoiler) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thankfully, the episode was filled with enough emotionally uplifting moments (especially the ending) to leave me in a happy place. But dear god, that was difficult. Unsure

Having said that - what an absolutely magnificent first season. Smile I have no idea where the story goes from here, but I'm so excited. This show has been a wonderful discovery, and I'm looking forward to continuing the journey. It'll be interesting to see what new cast members we get next year, since I assume it'll be a mostly new roster of characters (given the change of location).

Now to look forward to the Volume 2 soundtrack and Blu-ray release. Cool

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on May 31 2015, 3:11am)

Patty
Immortal

May 31 2015, 3:23am

Post #56 of 65 (525 views)
Shortcut
If you don't have the desire to read the book now.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Another thought is the audiobook, which is available on YouTube in two parts. It is so worth it, and now you've seen the ending you are unspoilable, and it will be like getting an extended edition..go to youtube and type in Outlander. Listen in bits.

Enjoy!

Patty
Immortal

May 31 2015, 3:26am

Post #57 of 65 (523 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and... [In reply to] Can't Post

Droughtlander is going to be verra long. I've heard everything from next April to next August 2016 for Dragonfly in Amber, the sequel.

(This post was edited by Patty on May 31 2015, 3:27am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

May 31 2015, 3:27am

Post #58 of 65 (519 views)
Shortcut
The only thing that gives me pause... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is the thought that I might not be able to stop reading after the first book. Tongue And I really do want to watch future episodes fresh.

But I probably will go ahead and read the first book (and practice some restraint with the rest). I actually already have had it ready on my Kindle (it was only $2! Shocked).

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

May 31 2015, 3:28am

Post #59 of 65 (515 views)
Shortcut
Are they crazy!? [In reply to] Can't Post

How am I supposed to wait that long???? Crazy

Tongue

- Viggo Mortensen

Patty
Immortal

May 31 2015, 3:34am

Post #60 of 65 (513 views)
Shortcut
I think this story ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is complete enough in itself. But personally I'd say if you read book two then book 3 is a must.

I think you can read book one and be in a place where you can be in a holding pattern comfortably.

Patty
Immortal

May 31 2015, 3:40am

Post #61 of 65 (511 views)
Shortcut
My fear is a big loss of momentum... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know Starz will leave the episodes on demand for a long time, and show a marathon occasionally. But this will hurt the show. It's already had many stated opinions that indicate numerous people leaving because of the brutality of Wentworth, and the last episode was worse. They need the momentum from all the press it's getting, and they won't have that next year.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

May 31 2015, 3:52am

Post #62 of 65 (506 views)
Shortcut
Hard to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't say that the hiatus length is a problem in of itself. Game of Thrones is similarly gone for almost a year each season, and manages to increase viewership. It also has a tendency to end its seasons on pretty dark notes (notably Season 3). People have threatened to leave that show many, many times, and the show has prospered nonetheless.

Having said that, the audiences are different. Add that to the fact that Outlander hasn't had the cultural breakthrough that GoT began to have following Season 1 (though the season just ended, so maybe that's jumping the gun a little).

The best thing to happen to it, honestly, would be if it gets some Emmy attention. At least something for Caitriona Balfe, who is probably the show's best bet for an acting nomination. Awards exposure can go a long way.

We'll just have to wait and see.

- Viggo Mortensen

Patty
Immortal

May 31 2015, 4:08am

Post #63 of 65 (504 views)
Shortcut
Balfe was good, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Sam excelled throughout the series. I'm hoping he gets a nomination.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

May 31 2015, 4:13am

Post #64 of 65 (500 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't slighting the other performers. If I had my way, they'd all get nominations. Just saying that she has the most buzz going into the awards season. There's been a lot of push to get her a nomination.

It will help that the second half of the season has been airing right before the voting period begins. The show will be very fresh in voters' minds.

- Viggo Mortensen

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jun 2 2015, 4:17pm

Post #65 of 65 (472 views)
Shortcut
I agree...although I've not seen the second volume of Season One [In reply to] Can't Post

I have read the book (now on book 2), and I have read numerous feedbacks from the last two episodes. I think all three main actors should get Emmy nominations at least. They are all superb in their roles (Sam Heughan especially IMO) and I think if they at least get nominated, it will give the show momentum to last the draught. It's an extraordinary show.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.