The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
So tell us... WHAT have you been watching this week? *Big Bang Theory spoilers*
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

May 21 2015, 2:13am

Post #1 of 65 (2617 views)
Shortcut
So tell us... WHAT have you been watching this week? *Big Bang Theory spoilers* Can't Post

I've taken a break from digging holes. For today. Yet I have still not made it to Age of Ultron. I actually have the tickets in...my...bag! Crazy

So...what have YOU been watching lately?

BBT chat! - spoilers! -v- down there!
-
-
-
-

I didn't get to follow up on the Big bang theory season ender...it left me sad and unsettled!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 21 2015, 2:51am

Post #2 of 65 (2394 views)
Shortcut
I've been following the AD miniseries [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not that good, but I can't resist a Biblical epic. They're really dragging out the story of Acts, but even at this slow pace they left out my favorite part: Acts 12:13-16. Poor ditzy Rhoda, leaving Peter patiently knocking at the door. I was looking forward to it, but they skipped right over it. On the other hand they're adding in a lot of odd stuff. Uncle Baggins keeps asking me "Is that in the Bible?" and usually I say "No."

I think next week we get to see Saul fall off his donkey. Unless they screw that up too. They are making him as obnoxious and unlikeable as I've always found him.

I also got sucked into Wolf Hall for the last couple of episodes. And then suddenly it was over. It was fascinating, but I still prefer the old BBC series on Henry VIII that I watched as a teen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Elutherian
Rohan

May 21 2015, 4:49am

Post #3 of 65 (2391 views)
Shortcut
Mad Max: Fury Road and Game of Thrones (as always)...... [In reply to] Can't Post

Mad Max: Fury Road was insane, and epic. I thought it was better than Age of Ultron, to be honest.

Game of Thrones went super dark this week, and as depressed as it made me, I think it's in line with what the show does best. Anxiously awaiting next Sunday.

Chaos isn't a pit, chaos is a ladder.

Kim
Valinor

May 21 2015, 5:14am

Post #4 of 65 (2375 views)
Shortcut
Pitch Perfect 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say this was a pretty typical sequel where everything had to be bigger/better/splashier and lost a little of the heart of the original. Felt a little frantic and disjointed at times, but overall, was still entertaining with lots of good music.

Kim
Valinor

May 21 2015, 5:17am

Post #5 of 65 (2381 views)
Shortcut
GOT [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though we saw it coming, it was still really hard to watch (and the stark silence over the end credits made it even worse). Very interested to see how this all shakes out in the final episodes.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

May 21 2015, 5:50am

Post #6 of 65 (2381 views)
Shortcut
I think it was Alfie Allen who said... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in an interview before the season began that there was something involving his character that was Red Wedding-level disturbing, and he was absolutely right. It left me quite shaken, and my anticipation for next week is mixed with a certain amount of dread (the desired effect, I imagine).

Darkness aside, I thought this was a remarkably amazing episode. The only element that didn't really measure up with the rest of the episode IMO was the events in Dorne (aside from Bronn's singing, which was quite entertaining Tongue). We've barely gotten anything with the new characters there thus far in the season, so it doesn't feel as dynamic as the rest of the show. I want some character development with Oberyn's daughters, and especially Prince Doran (when you hire Alexander Siddig, one hopes there will be some meaty scenes for him).

But everything else - Arya's scenes in the House of Black and White, Jorah & Tyrion, Cersei's scheming, the Queen of Thorns (!), Winterfell, etc. - was just utterly AMAZING. Tough to watch with regard to the ending, but amazing nonetheless.

Also saw Mad Max: Fury Road twice! Now that's now you make an action film. Cool

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on May 21 2015, 5:57am)

Patty
Immortal

May 21 2015, 9:55am

Post #7 of 65 (2364 views)
Shortcut
So Aragorn, what did you think of the penultimate Outlander episode? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wentworth Prison?

Permanent address: Into the West

Annael
Immortal

May 21 2015, 2:38pm

Post #8 of 65 (2346 views)
Shortcut
Death in Paradise [In reply to] Can't Post

our local PBS station is showing this British series; we're up to Season 4 now. I'm amused by how many stalwarts of British television show up for small roles - no doubt in part due to the prospect of a paid vacation in the Caribbean. I guess the murderer most of the time but enjoy the Agatha Christie-like denouements where the chief detective gathers everyone in one room (well, usually out on a deck or patio in this case) to explain how the murder was done and that "the murderer is here among us."

Started watching "Vicious" but I think it's the kind of show that will pall quite soon, despite the wonderful cast; people insulting each other nonstop is only fun for a little while.

ORPHAN BLACK! The awesome is back!

In the depths of the mystery of freedom, we are asked to participate in creating the good by wanting it, needing it, choosing it, imagining it. . . . We must project the good outward onto the other in order to receive it ourselves.

-- Ann Bedford Ulanov

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 21 2015, 6:14pm

Post #9 of 65 (2329 views)
Shortcut
Devil [In reply to] Can't Post

I recently re-watched "Sixth Sense" and thought how great a movie it is, even knowing what happens, and I wondered what Shyamalan was up to lately--none of his movies compared to that one.

Devil doesn't either, but it's well-done and worth watching. Five people trapped in an elevator, and one is the devil, though no one knows that, except a religious/superstitious security guard helplessly watching on camera. And people start to figure it out as very bad things happen while they await rescue. It kept me guessing, and that was the fun part. Not real heavy on the supernatural, more on the suspense. 4 out of 5 stars

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

May 21 2015, 10:07pm

Post #10 of 65 (2308 views)
Shortcut
me too [In reply to] Can't Post

the Big bang theory season ender...it left me sad and unsettled!

Frown

Especially Sheldon, he tries so hard, but it's not always obvious to everyone else that he is trying.

Dwarewien
Rohan

May 21 2015, 10:21pm

Post #11 of 65 (2313 views)
Shortcut
Jurassic Park, Kill Bill (Vol.1), iZombie... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the coming weeks before Jurassic World hits theaters, I've been reviewing the other three movies. Since I no longer owned any of the movies (though I have in the past), I had to buy the whole trilogy over again (I got to stop doing that, since it gets expensive after a while). Luckily, there was a new "collection" available (I've had one of these before, but like I already mentioned, I never kept it), which is probably a lot cheaper than buying the movies separately, especially if you no longer own them (I'll have to do a similar thing with the 3D Extended Editions of the Hobbit movies when I finally can afford to upgrade to Blu-ray). The only movie in the trilogy I'm not too fond of is the third one (though I'll still watch it, regardless, since I can always find a few things that I do like about it), so perhaps I'll enjoy the fourth one as much as the first two (I guess I'll find out soon enough). I like this dialogue from the first movie:

Ian Malcolm: "God creates dinosaurs, God destroys dinosaurs, God creates Man, Man destroys God, Man creates dinosaurs."
Ellie Sattler: "Dinosaurs eat man, woman inherits the Earth."

which gets a look from the men and always makes me laugh.Laugh

Kill Bill (Vol. 1): I don't own this one (yet), but it was on television again last week (I try to catch it every time it is). The Bride is pretty badass, since I think I prefer her over Tauriel in the Hobbit movies (not that I dislike Tauriel, she's just not one of my top favorites, since the only female characters I like in both LotR and the Hobbit are Eowyn and Galadriel. The rest are male).

iZombie: I'm enjoying this series so far (even though I've never read the comic books it's based on) and a good tide over until Under the Dome comes back next month (on a Thursday instead of a Monday, so that's going to take a little getting used to). I kind of hated when Liv's zombie boyfriend got killed at the end of last week's episode. That Blaine character has got to go, even though I don't really hate any of the characters.

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 21 2015, 11:07pm

Post #12 of 65 (2314 views)
Shortcut
You know... [In reply to] Can't Post

You can often borrow movies from your local library. Or even watch them for free or rent them from an on-line service such as NetFlix.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

tsmith675
Gondor

May 22 2015, 2:39am

Post #13 of 65 (2295 views)
Shortcut
Mad Max: Fury Road [In reply to] Can't Post

And it's a perfect action movie. 5/5

(This post was edited by tsmith675 on May 22 2015, 2:40am)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

May 22 2015, 2:58pm

Post #14 of 65 (2263 views)
Shortcut
Murdoch Mysteries! and other stuff (spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

MM is a great detective show on CBC set in turn-of-the-last-century Toronto. It has a sort-of steam punk feel to it sometimes because the lead detective is very much into technology and the science of investigation. The show has some great writing and it never takes itself too seriously although it does explore some interesting cultural and societal themes. This was the age of women's suffrage, the rise of industrialization, unions, the end of the Victorian age and the beginnings of what we now see as a global community of nations. Throughout, the writers keep things entertaining and engaging.

I also watched the finale episodes of NCIS and NCIS:New Orleans and I am... miffed to say the least. They shot Gibbs! And then left him there... and no one knows how he is.. and... it's Gibbs, darnit! *hrumph* They can't shoot Gibbs and get away with it.

I've also been catching movies on TCM - Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, that kind of thing. I love those old movies.

And I started watching Ballykissangel again. I watched it through years ago and now it's back on my local PBS station. I love the scenery and the characters. It's funny seeing younger version of what are now some well-known names - Stephen Tompkinson, Colin Farrell, Owen Teale and even James Nesbitt!

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Dwarewien
Rohan

May 22 2015, 10:35pm

Post #15 of 65 (2220 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to disappoint you... [In reply to] Can't Post

but renting movies and/or TV series just doesn't make much sense to me. For starters, I watch them way too much (so renting them would be too expensive), so I'd much rather own them (no matter how many times I end up buying them over. For example, even though the Extended Edition of DoS is now out, I still have the TE, since there's no way I'm getting rid of that picture of Thorin, or any picture, for that matter).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 22 2015, 11:58pm

Post #16 of 65 (2203 views)
Shortcut
Okay [In reply to] Can't Post

On the other hand, the library is free!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

May 23 2015, 12:25am

Post #17 of 65 (2199 views)
Shortcut
Phenomenal, but difficult... (*Outlander Spoiler*) [In reply to] Can't Post

Funny how that worked out, with both of my favorite shows going really dark this week.

The episode was almost painful to sit through in spots. So emotional and heartbreaking. And no relief to be found by the end either - they haven't yet rescued Jamie! Crazy

And to rub salt in the wound, the finale doesn't even air this week! Tongue

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Me85
Rivendell

May 23 2015, 12:41am

Post #18 of 65 (2197 views)
Shortcut
agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved Mad Max! Better than Avengers. I can get bored easily with typical action movies but this one was so different, really crazy, weird, interesting, unpredictable and epic. Tom and Charlize were badass. Definitely not a movie for everyone though.

Now I'm going to start watching Outlander. Hope it's good.

(This post was edited by Me85 on May 23 2015, 12:44am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 23 2015, 2:52am

Post #19 of 65 (2202 views)
Shortcut
Mad Max: Fury Road [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellently crafted, beautiful to behold... I became completely lost in the insane world Miller created. A few times, after an action sequence ended, I heard myself saying "whoa" as I shook back to reality.

Think of the scene in LOTR:ROTK when the Nazgul blitz Minas Tirith before Rohan takes the field: it's like that for almost two hours straight, but done mostly with practical effects.

The plot (such as it is) is literally and figuratively driven, and meaning constructed almost entirely through visuals (i.e. rather than dialogue). Music and sound are used to great effect. This is cinema at its finest.

Road Warrior and Mad Max were favourites growing up, and this version does not disappoint. Fury Road should be remembered as one of the great movies of our time (and there's been a lot of great movies over the years).

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on May 23 2015, 2:54am)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 23 2015, 3:06am

Post #20 of 65 (2180 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes! One of my favorites as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Such a human moment--I always wondered if I'd do exactly the same thing! BlushEvil (As Rhoda, that is. If I was Paul, I'd duck and run for cover and just try again later.)

I haven't been watching the series it because I didn't think the trailers showed acting of the type that would hold my attention.

Give me Ben Hur.Cool

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 24 2015, 4:01am

Post #21 of 65 (2122 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm almost certain this guy's in it:

Mumakil Driver from ROTK (larger image here)

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on May 24 2015, 4:02am)

Starling
Half-elven

May 24 2015, 5:53am

Post #22 of 65 (2109 views)
Shortcut
That's Shane Rangi [In reply to] Can't Post

as far as I know. You could check the Mad Max cast list and see if he's on it.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 24 2015, 11:04pm

Post #23 of 65 (2076 views)
Shortcut
Thank you dear - [In reply to] Can't Post

He's not listed among the cast, though that's not unusual for Shane Rangi as far as I can see at IMDb.

He's the guy on the left in this shot:

Image source and larger image here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...ax-fury-road/review/
Warner Bros/Village Roadshow Films

There's better shots of him in the film, for instance when Immortal Joe (above centre, with the hair and mask) addresses the unwashed masses near the beginning of the movie; but they haven't been released yet...

...again, at least I think it's him Crazy

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on May 24 2015, 11:05pm)

cats16
Half-elven

May 25 2015, 12:04am

Post #24 of 65 (2064 views)
Shortcut
Fwiw... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think that's Shane. This actor looked to be older (a grey-ish beard), and not nearly as physically well-built (Shane's huge).

Of course, I myself could be wrong here, but I didn't notice anyone in the film who looked like him.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Starling
Half-elven

May 25 2015, 7:03am

Post #25 of 65 (2039 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it's him either // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.