The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Far over the Misty Mountains...

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 20 2015, 12:49am

Post #1 of 20 (1422 views)
Shortcut
Far over the Misty Mountains... Can't Post

We were up in Rocky Mountain National Park yesterday, and it was rainy and foggy. I commented that we were lucky; some people might be here on their only visit and not see any of the mountains. That gave us the idea to take photos of some of our favorite views, of the invisible mountains we knew were there. In order: Twin Sisters, Deer Mountain, Mount Ypislon, Hallets Peak, Flattop Mountain, and two photos of Longs Peak.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33134778@N07/sets/72157652706730829

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Brethil
Half-elven

May 20 2015, 1:16am

Post #2 of 20 (1380 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous Aunt Dora! [In reply to] Can't Post

My that *ice*! And the cold misty look - it looks quite primeval.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 20 2015, 5:20am

Post #3 of 20 (1369 views)
Shortcut
The snow is still 4 feet deep at Bear Lake [In reply to] Can't Post

We walked around the lake, which is usually a very easy stroll, and Uncle Baggins said "Walking around Bear Lake has never been this much of an adventure before." You could walk on top of the snow, but now and then you'd see a deep hole in the snow where someone had broken through.

GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Brethil
Half-elven

May 20 2015, 12:16pm

Post #4 of 20 (1351 views)
Shortcut
How long does the snow stay? All year? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or does it melt a bit at some point, or is it different every year? It seems a nice built-in water reservoir. That kind of height to have snowcaps fuddles me: it seems unbelievable, having grown up here on LI where the very highest point is - I'm not sure of the exact number - about 175 *feet* above sea level.

Thank you for a vicarious hiking thrill.

(This post was edited by Brethil on May 20 2015, 12:16pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 20 2015, 1:13pm

Post #5 of 20 (1338 views)
Shortcut
the Misty Mountains - COLD!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It DOES look cold - whereabout is the Rocky Mountain park? My hubby grew up in Limon, CO. His Dad lives in Colorado Springs. It's a bit cool and misty in OKC right now, though it looks much colder in your pics.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 20 2015, 2:30pm

Post #6 of 20 (1336 views)
Shortcut
Depends on where you are. [In reply to] Can't Post

At Bear Lake it's mostly gone by the middle of June. Here are some photos of a hike from last June 13 that started at Bear Lake and went up a little, from 9000 feet to about 10,500 feet. You can see there was still some snow. But by August it was pretty much gone. That hike goes up to over 12,000 feet. There are a few glaciers that stay all year, but they've been getting a lot smaller through the decades.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 20 2015, 2:38pm

Post #7 of 20 (1336 views)
Shortcut
Rocky is about 150 miles north-northwest of Colorado Springs [In reply to] Can't Post

From where I live, I can see Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs, though it's over 100 miles south of here. Only on a good clear day, though.

It was chilly but not bitter cold the day I took those photos. About 40 degrees.

I have a very sweet memory of Limon. One really grueling day, we had to go visit an ill family member in the hospital in Colorado Springs, and then go pick up his car in Burlington and drive it back to Denver. It was a really hard day with hundreds of miles of driving. About suppertime we came into Limon, weary and sad and worried, with 150 miles still to go. There we found a lovely little railroad museum, and for an hour we were able to imagine that we were on a vacation.

All the way home, I was singing the song "Big Old Jet Airliner", which I had mis-heard all my life as "Big Old Jet Out of Limon". What makes that funny is that Limon is a very small town and there would be no place for a big old jet to land there.

GNU Terry Pratchett

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on May 20 2015, 2:49pm)

Annael
Immortal

May 20 2015, 3:39pm

Post #8 of 20 (1323 views)
Shortcut
ours is going fast [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see Mount Townsend is almost bare. That's a month or more ahead of schedule.

We're very worried about fires this summer. Especially after the horrible fire in the Methow Valley last July which burned over a quarter million acres.

In the depths of the mystery of freedom, we are asked to participate in creating the good by wanting it, needing it, choosing it, imagining it. . . . We must project the good outward onto the other in order to receive it ourselves.

-- Ann Bedford Ulanov

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 20 2015, 4:12pm

Post #9 of 20 (1316 views)
Shortcut
I understand the fire worry. [In reply to] Can't Post

You hear that a lot around here, as we're having more rain than usual: "Maybe it will keep the fires down this summer."

GNU Terry Pratchett

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 20 2015, 11:55pm

Post #10 of 20 (1299 views)
Shortcut
Are you sure, that they're still there [In reply to] Can't Post

...and haven't been picked up and carried off by a rock-giant? Wink

I do like that one of Flattop, barely visible across the icy lake. It's like something in a fairy tale.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 21 2015, 12:58am

Post #11 of 20 (1296 views)
Shortcut
A local friend who is a painter [In reply to] Can't Post

said, when I shared them on facebook, "I could paint them in for you." She knew exactly where they were. Yep, pretty sure they were still there :-) Uncle Baggins kept saying, "Yet another view of Longs Peak," just as he does when it's visible.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Brethil
Half-elven

May 21 2015, 1:10am

Post #12 of 20 (1296 views)
Shortcut
What an amazing expanse of open space. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love all the shots - but the sneaker one, existentially perfect. Wink Is that stone cairn significant of anything or just something some one made?

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 21 2015, 4:39am

Post #13 of 20 (1283 views)
Shortcut
The cairns were put up in about 1920 by the Park Service [In reply to] Can't Post

after a hiker wandered off the edge of the summit in a blinding snowstorm and fell to his death. They're really helpful finding the trail when visibility is low. They line the trail for miles, and look pretty mysterious.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 21 2015, 4:41am

Post #14 of 20 (1283 views)
Shortcut
On the news tonight they were comparing Denver to Seattle [In reply to] Can't Post

on account of our wet weather. Turns out Seattle is having much sunnier and warmer weather. But when you're worried about fires, that's not necessarily a good thing.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Kim
Valinor

May 21 2015, 5:07am

Post #15 of 20 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was at Bear Lake in Sept 2013, we were walking around in shorts, no snow in sight. I always find the mountains in Colorado deceptive - it doesn't feel like the altitude is as high as it is because it's so dry and there's no snow. Where I live, if you're at 12,000 ft, there's snow year round! And of course, our single "Fourteener" is always covered. Smile

Annael
Immortal

May 21 2015, 2:47pm

Post #16 of 20 (1260 views)
Shortcut
we don't worry about them on this side of the Cascades [In reply to] Can't Post

our state has a wet side and a dry side; we do get fires on this side, but never big ones (knock on wood!); it's the dry side that gets the big ones.

Having lived here all my life, the climate change in the last 10-15 years has been dramatic. For us on the wet side, a "heat wave" used to be when the temperatures went over 80, which happened rarely and never for more than a couple of days at a time. Now we get temps in the 90s every summer. We used to have a distinct weather pattern where it would rain from November through April, but never so hard that you couldn't walk around without an umbrella. We'd have snow a few times with a two-week period of very low temps (for us - teens and oughts) and hard frost in February; May would be LOVELY, it would rain again in June (as soon as school got out) through July 5th (always cold on the Fourth), then turn mild often through October. Now, it rains more and harder through the fall-winter-spring, while the summers are hotter and drier.

In the depths of the mystery of freedom, we are asked to participate in creating the good by wanting it, needing it, choosing it, imagining it. . . . We must project the good outward onto the other in order to receive it ourselves.

-- Ann Bedford Ulanov

Annael
Immortal

May 21 2015, 2:55pm

Post #17 of 20 (1260 views)
Shortcut
I remember being so disappointed by Mt. Elbert [In reply to] Can't Post

it doesn't even look like a mountain. When you grow up in sight of Mount Rainier or the other major volcanoes of the Cascade Range, most other mountains fail to impress. Okay, Denali looks pretty cool . . .

A friend who hiked into Everest Base Camp once went with me to Mount Rainier where we hiked on the Sunrise side. She pointed out that we could see from 3,000 feet (the river valley below) to 14,000 feet - 11,000 feet of mountain - which was the same amount of elevation she saw looking at Everest from Base Camp at 18.000 feet to the summit at 29,000 feet.

http://www.nps.gov/...rea_edited-1_sml.jpg

-- Ann Bedford Ulanov

(This post was edited by Annael on May 21 2015, 3:00pm)

Kim
Valinor

May 22 2015, 3:48am

Post #18 of 20 (1228 views)
Shortcut
Whoa [In reply to] Can't Post

A friend who hiked into Everest Base Camp once went with me to Mount Rainier where we hiked on the Sunrise side. She pointed out that we could see from 3,000 feet (the river valley below) to 14,000 feet - 11,000 feet of mountain - which was the same amount of elevation she saw looking at Everest from Base Camp at 18.000 feet to the summit at 29,000 feet.

That's kind of mind-blowing way to think about it! Shocked

Brethil
Half-elven

May 22 2015, 12:09pm

Post #19 of 20 (1217 views)
Shortcut
They do look very mysterious and intriguing [In reply to] Can't Post

glad they serve such a good purpose though.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 22 2015, 4:39pm

Post #20 of 20 (1200 views)
Shortcut
Here's one of my favorite photos of them. [In reply to] Can't Post

photo. I had to do a lot of research to find out their story. The rangers didn't know. There are a lot of Ute artifacts up there too, old rock walls and things.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.