The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the flood-stage reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 19 2015, 2:18pm

Post #1 of 19 (815 views)
Shortcut
It's the flood-stage reading thread! Can't Post

Yep, here in Texas we've gone from drought to flood, from lakes and reservoirs dangerously low to dangerously high, in just a few months. We've had more rain in the first four-and-a-half months of this year than we had all last year.

Someone grab the jackelopes and the chupycabras! The Ark's pulling away from the pier! (But please leave the mosquitos behind.)

Smile

Meanwhile, I've been tucked away inside making an effort to catch up with my magazines (and as yet it is an effort, requiring a magnifier and a good light): Smithsonian, Archaeology, British Heritage, and The Journal of Colonial Williamsburg, to name just four that keep appearing in the mailbox.

I finished listening to the CDs of Agatha Christie's The Hollow, which is far from her best work. It did finally move from slow introspection to a Hercule Poirot mystery, but I still found it mostly unsatisfactory---not least because the plot resembled The Mysterious Affair at Styles.

I've moved on to Alexander McCall Smith's The Careful Use of Compliments, his fourth (I think) Isabel Dalhousie book. Even though this series is packaged as mystery, like his Ladies No 1 Detective Agency series, there's hardly anything mysterious going on, just Isabel's pondering life and ethics and.... Yes, it's slow introspection and I love every word, go figure.

I'm still listening to Elizabeth Peters' Serpent on the Crown on my MP3 player, which seems just a tad repetitive, but what the heck, is entertaining. The reader, Barbara Rosenblatt, is deservedly famous for her work reading Peters' books. She does the variety of accents beautifully, to the point where I'm not sure whether she's British or American.

What have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Meneldor
Valinor

May 19 2015, 2:24pm

Post #2 of 19 (763 views)
Shortcut
Ships in Bottles [In reply to] Can't Post

by Guy de Marco. A short book with lots of pictures that tells how to build ships in bottles.

On a totally unrelated note, anyone care to guess what hobby project I'm working on now?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 19 2015, 3:10pm

Post #3 of 19 (753 views)
Shortcut
Ummm--paper airplanes? [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously, I've always been impressed by ships in bottles. I hope you'll post some photos of your creations.

Annael
Immortal

May 19 2015, 3:47pm

Post #4 of 19 (755 views)
Shortcut
Overthinkers unite! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Isabel because I overthink everything too. And I love it when she slowly, quietly figures out how to turn the tables on those who think they can bully her!

I'm still working my way through Ann Ulanov's Cinderella and Her Sisters: The Envied and the Envying. This is a small yet profound book that has shed a new light on many things: my own experiences of being envied or envying others; the inner void my transvestite relative is trying to fill; even why people turn to terrorism.

As noted last week, I also found myself re-reading Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Dart series. Now up to Kushiel's Avatar. Not an easy book. Can't help but think about the recent flap over "trigger warnings" that Columbia students want to be placed on books about Greek mythology; THIS book would require a long list of potential triggers! But the final message is that one can, in fact, not just survive terrible things but heal and find joy - seeing oneself as resilient and empowered no matter what one's past.

In the depths of the mystery of freedom, we are asked to participate in creating the good by wanting it, needing it, choosing it, imagining it. . . . We must project the good outward onto the other in order to receive it ourselves.

-- Ann Bedford Ulanov

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 19 2015, 3:53pm

Post #5 of 19 (754 views)
Shortcut
It's been floodish around here too. I've started reading "Grapes of Wrath" [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd put it off for decades, because the anxiety of living in poverty is one of my phobias and I figured this book would be really depressing. It is, but it's also beautifully written (no surprise there). I'm only about a quarter of the way in.

It reminds me a lot of some of Stephen King's writing, in particular, "The Stand". Of course, I know it's the other way around: King writes like Steinbeck. In both cases, I force myself to deal with the subject matter because the writing is so amazing.

I love the wealth of detail, and the rich descriptions of everything. My favorite so far was the description of the light in the late afternoon bringing everything into relief, something I've noticed many times myself.

Most wrenching detail so far: Ma holding the box of letters in her hands, debating with herself whether there's room for them in the truck. At last she sets the box into the fire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

May 19 2015, 7:25pm

Post #6 of 19 (737 views)
Shortcut
(Whispers) Guess what, Aunt Dora? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm coming at the end of July! Hopefully there won't be flooding at that point. Can't wait to finish the highlights of the Rockies!
Two great filmed versions of Grapes of Wrath - the movie with Henry Fonda and the staged play with Gary Sinese.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 19 2015, 7:41pm

Post #7 of 19 (730 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, send me a PM when you do if you like. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love meeting TORnsibs in person.

GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 19 2015, 9:45pm

Post #8 of 19 (714 views)
Shortcut
One thing..,. [In reply to] Can't Post

...I like about the character of Isabel is her tendency to look for significance in small bits of business, which is another part of her over-thinking I tend to identify with.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 26 2015, 2:46pm

Post #9 of 19 (622 views)
Shortcut
It's the Memorial Day reading thread! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope our American 'sibs both observed the solemnity of, and enjoyed the pleasures of, the holiday. Here in Texas, people are mostly trying to keep above water, unfortunately. The rain totals are appalling, as are the heights of the lakes and rivers. If all y'all in dried-up California would just come with buckets.... But it doesn't work that way, does it?

I've finished listening to The Careful Use of Compliments, book four (I think) in the Isabel Dalhousie series by Alexander McCall Smith. I enjoyed it so much I plan to buy a copy of the book, so I can see in print all his stream-of-consciousness but delicious asides and philosophical musings. This installment actually has a morsel of a plot, a slight mystery about art and artists. There's also a turn-up in Isabel's professional life, which she handles very creatively indeed.

I'm still listening to Elizabeth Peters' Serpent in the Crown. The series seems just a little bit tired by the time we get to this installment, but it's entertaining.

Supposedly I'll have the last procedure on my left eye today and will get a prescription for new glasses. Every possible appendage crossed that I'll soon be able to read easily again!

What have you been reading?

Meneldor
Valinor

May 26 2015, 3:13pm

Post #10 of 19 (615 views)
Shortcut
You got this, Lily! Nothing can stop you getting better! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just finished Arnhem Spearhead by James Sims. Sims was a 19 year-old British paratrooper who saw only one battle, Operation Market Garden. This is a private's vivid personal view of a historical event, real you-are-there stuff. And every time I started reading, the theme from A Bridge Too Far started playing in my head.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 26 2015, 3:34pm

Post #11 of 19 (609 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Meneldor :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kim
Valinor

May 27 2015, 2:48am

Post #12 of 19 (598 views)
Shortcut
Good luck Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope the final procedure went well (and that you were able to get to it amidst the flooding!)

I read A Kiss of Fate thanks to your recommendation. I really liked it. It was kind of like a lighter version of Outlander crossed with a Discovery of Witches, just what I needed after some serious, darker books. I'm going to check out her other works now.

I finished FOTR a little ahead of the RR schedule, and am now starting in on the Sil. You know, for a nice light summer beach read. Wink I expect I'll be exploring that for most of the summer balanced with lighter summer reading.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 27 2015, 2:22pm

Post #13 of 19 (589 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The doc has put off the final procedure, which is fine, but I have ordered my new glasses. I can hardly wait!

I actually liked the sequel to A Kiss of Fate, Stolen Magic, better. The plot is very different, though, if with some of the same characters. YMMV, of course. Suffice it to say, Putney has quite a list of entertaining books and I'm delighted to put you onto her.

Meneldor
Valinor

May 28 2015, 2:37am

Post #14 of 19 (570 views)
Shortcut
Buccaneer [In reply to] Can't Post

by Dudley Pope. First in a series of nautical adventures set in 1650s Caribbean. It had all the elements I like in good yarn, but it just never clicked for me. The writing seemed sort of flat and I never got excited or attached to any of the characters.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 28 2015, 2:09pm

Post #15 of 19 (548 views)
Shortcut
Have I ever asked you... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if you've read George MacDonald Fraser's three volumes of McAuslan short stories, which are thinly veiled memoirs of his own service in a Highland regiment in the Middle East, North Africa, and back home. They're great tales and uproariously funny at times. Plus, as a bonus, even though the first (The General Danced at Dawn) was published in 1970, there's a mention of JRRT's Gollum somewhere in the series, I think in McAuslan in the Rough.

OTOH, I dislike his Flashman books. Go figure. Tongue

Meneldor
Valinor

May 29 2015, 8:47pm

Post #16 of 19 (537 views)
Shortcut
I've seen The General Danced at Dawn on the bookshelves, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I haven't picked it up yet. Looked at Flashman a few times, and never quite got interested enough to start.

Pyrates was one of the funniest books I've ever read, wit' a wannion, by thunder, and "Arrrr!" to boot!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 29 2015, 10:00pm

Post #17 of 19 (532 views)
Shortcut
How did he get into the store at that early hour? // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 29 2015, 10:09pm

Post #18 of 19 (536 views)
Shortcut
I could borrow [In reply to] Can't Post

my daughter's haggis whistle to call the jackelopes! Don't want the chupys, though. Wink

I've been reading through more Nutmeg Award nominee books. Sarah Week's "Pie" is a delight (and I need to copy some of those recipes), and Brenda Woods' "Saint Louis Armstrong Beach" presents a little kid I'd love to get to know in real life. Also finished S.E. Groves' "The Glass Sentence", talk about having to twist one's mind to comprehend the concept of a world where different eras of time exist at once, and "maps" contain memories!

I'd thrilled that you've got the glasses on order! Are they going to finish the "eye-work" at a later date, then?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 30 2015, 3:08pm

Post #19 of 19 (528 views)
Shortcut
what a great concept for a book! [In reply to] Can't Post

Different eras existing at once and maps with memories, that is. Sounds like Harry Potter's Marauder's Map. (If I have that right---it's been awhile since I've read the Potter books.)

I now have my new computer and reading glasses but the former aren't quite right, I'm afraid. My bifocals won't be in until next week. My two doctors are disagreeing (mildly) over the further procedure.... Well, I'm getting there! Smile.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.